Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ ? Any confirms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there are any leads, I can very easily do some scouting in the Edison (or Woodbridge area around Exit 9) area. Earlier today I searched the town website to look for permits, and could not find accessible online.

I used to live in Edison, and am now about 10-15 minutes from there. Though I will be away at a conference all of next week.

If there are any leads, I can very easily do some scouting in the Edison (or Woodbridge area around Exit 9) area. Earlier today I searched the town website to look for permits, and could not find accessible online.

I used to live in Edison, and am now about 10-15 minutes from there. Though I will be away at a conference all of next week.

well its certainly not at the Thomas Edison rest stop on NJT. I stopped there a few hours ago after hearing "Edison and New Jersey Turnpike" again. I checked it out - nothing. At least not yet if there is going to be one there. I'm guessing it's going to be off the highway on private land somewhere and not at a rest stop based on previous comments and hearsay.

well its certainly not at the Thomas Edison rest stop on NJT. I stopped there a few hours ago after hearing "Edison and New Jersey Turnpike" again. I checked it out - nothing. At least not yet if there is going to be one there. I'm guessing it's going to be off the highway on private land somewhere and not at a rest stop based on previous comments and hearsay.

Tesla should install it at the Thomas Edison rest stop just because it's the Thomas Edison rest stop. I love the irony!

For giggles, here's the area around Exit 10:

Google Maps

It's a good location because it's the intersection of the TP and 287, so it gives access to both N/S and E/W traffic.

Assuming a) it won't be on the TP itself (for the reasons stated above, and b/c this would make it harder for 287 traffic to get to it), and b) it will be near both highways, and c) it will be near some sort of retail/dining, as are all the other superchargers, the list of candidates is actually pretty small.

My guess is that it will be in one of the retail malls on Route 1, either just north or south of 287. There are three potential options that I can spot from the satellite.

1. Menlo Park Mall would be a good choice. Macys, Nordstrom, and other typical mall-type places, which would give you a nice variety of places to kill some time.

Google Maps

2. This place, at the corner of Amboy and Pierson, doesn't look like it has the right mix of stores:

Google Maps

3. This is the other option, south of 287, but it's a typical big-box strip mall anchored by Office Depot and Home Depot, so it also is not really ideal.

Google Maps

Any other ideas?

Other ideas:

I'd guess Woodbridge Center Mall is about as likely as Menlo Park Mall. I'm not sure how many (if any) deals Tesla has made with Simon (Menlo Park's owner) vs. GGP (Woodbridge Center's owner).

Woodbridge Center is a bit more convenient to northbound Parkway drivers, and Menlo Park is a bit more convenient to southbound Parkway drivers. Menlo Park is also more convenient to I-287 drivers. Both are relatively close to the Turnpike but involve several twists and turns and ramps to get there.

If they wanted to distance themselves some more from NYC and the Parkway/Turnpike interchange, there's a ton of big-box retail and dining at exits 5-6 off I-287 (about 5 miles west of the Turnpike, 7 miles west of the Parkway). Some of that is still technically Edison, I think, but it's right at the border of Piscataway.

There's also a ton of retail/dining near Bridgewater -- e.g. Bridgewater Promenade near I-287 exit 13, and Bridgewater Commons Mall (another GGP-owned center) which is plausibly close to I-78 travelers as well -- but that's getting to be pretty far west of the red dot and the rumors we've heard so far.

I have zero inside information, these are just educated guesses coming from a northern NJ native. (My in-laws also live in Bridgewater, so wherever this supercharger appears, I'll probably be using it at some point.)

Other ideas:

I'd guess Woodbridge Center Mall is about as likely as Menlo Park Mall. I'm not sure how many (if any) deals Tesla has made with Simon (Menlo Park's owner) vs. GGP (Woodbridge Center's owner).

Woodbridge Center is a bit more convenient to northbound Parkway drivers, and Menlo Park is a bit more convenient to southbound Parkway drivers. Menlo Park is also more convenient to I-287 drivers. Both are relatively close to the Turnpike but involve several twists and turns and ramps to get there.

If they wanted to distance themselves some more from NYC and the Parkway/Turnpike interchange, there's a ton of big-box retail and dining at exits 5-6 off I-287 (about 5 miles west of the Turnpike, 7 miles west of the Parkway). Some of that is still technically Edison, I think, but it's right at the border of Piscataway.

There's also a ton of retail/dining near Bridgewater -- e.g. Bridgewater Promenade near I-287 exit 13, and Bridgewater Commons Mall (another GGP-owned center) which is plausibly close to I-78 travelers as well -- but that's getting to be pretty far west of the red dot and the rumors we've heard so far.

I have zero inside information, these are just educated guesses coming from a northern NJ native. (My in-laws also live in Bridgewater, so wherever this supercharger appears, I'll probably be using it at some point.)

That's good info. Woodbridge would be more convenient for the Garden State, too, which might be a better route to be near than 287.

Talked to a rep today who was pretty confident of 3 NJ supercharger locations: Edison, East Brunswick, Cranberry

Cranbury, on the TP, right? That's somewhat odd, since those three locations are all basically right on top of one another.

The more I think about it, the more it would make sense to me to put the superchargers NOT on the TP, but at the intersection of a major highway and the TP (like the Garden State or 287 or even 195, I suppose). Sure, that's a bit of a burden for TP traffic to get off and get back on the TP, but it's a lot less of a burden for TP traffic than it would be to make someone traveling on the Garden State get ON the TP, charge, and then have to travel miles in the wrong direction just to turn around and come back.

Maybe there will be chargers off the TP in addition to those potentially located at the service plazas?

made an overlay of Tesla 2014 supercharger map on top of google maps for NJ/NY. I think it does a damn good job lining up Tesla's plans for superchargers around this area.

looking at this, we see supercharger locations in NJ for Edison & also around where 287 and 80 intersect in Parsippany. Other cities/towns in the general NY/NJ/MD/PA area: Stroudsburg, PA. Hazelton, PA. Scranton, PA. Syracuse, Ithaca, Buffalo, Albany, Newburgh. Hagerstown, MD. Bedford, PA. Morgantown, MD. .... plus more
sc_overlay.jpg

looking deeper into Edison, looks like around the NJT/GSP intersection (possibly along woodbridge ave/raritan center area). This is the one that I think is most critical between DE and CT. I hope this one gets up and running soon.
sc_edison.jpg

Last edited:
When traveling on GSP, the idea of paying toll to get on NJTP at Edison for charging seems a bit off unless there is a special exit. (Between exits on NJTP is far :( enough just to get in and out)
May be a better idea for all traveling on GSP, NJTP, 287, 440, 1 & 9 is at around Fords Park.

Just my 2 cents: (Easy access in and out of major High ways, see map)
Point A: 40.535916,-74.29852 (close/beside to Wawa 24/7)
Point B: 40.52923,-74.329591 (close/beside to Hess 24/7)
Tesla_SC_Edison_NJ.GIF

Here's the latest. I just heard from a good source at Tesla that the Edison SC is now under construction. The indications is that it is off the Turnpike. It seems the delays were due to a very slow permitting process. Based upon the word that it is now under construction I am assuming that it will be complete shortly. Hopefully someone who lives in the area can locate the site.

Here's the latest. I just heard from a good source at Tesla that the Edison SC is now under construction. The indications is that it is off the Turnpike. It seems the delays were due to a very slow permitting process. Based upon the word that it is now under construction I am assuming that it will be complete shortly. Hopefully someone who lives in the area can locate the site.

That's good news.