Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ ? Any confirms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the latest. I just heard from a good source at Tesla that the Edison SC is now under construction. The indications is that it is off the Turnpike. It seems the delays were due to a very slow permitting process. Based upon the word that it is now under construction I am assuming that it will be complete shortly. Hopefully someone who lives in the area can locate the site.

Hope tesla can knock this one out quick.

Here's the latest. I just heard from a good source at Tesla that the Edison SC is now under construction. The indications is that it is off the Turnpike. It seems the delays were due to a very slow permitting process. Based upon the word that it is now under construction I am assuming that it will be complete shortly. Hopefully someone who lives in the area can locate the site.

I will try and locate it on Thursday. I used to live in Edison, and I am 10 minutes from there now. I might possibly go to the municipal building and ask about permits.

If it is "off the Turnpike" then the Woodbridge Avenue/Raritan Center area is my first area to look. I will check the few hotels in Raritan Center. Though there are not to many amenities in that area.

Does anyone know which contractor they have been using with the other (CT) East coast SC?

Last edited:
I will try and locate it on Thursday. I used to live in Edison, and I am 10 minutes from there now. I might possibly go to the municipal building and ask about permits.

If it is "off the Turnpike" then the Woodbridge Avenue/Raritan Center area is my first area to look. I will check the few hotels in Raritan Center. Though there are not to many amenities in that area.

Does anyone know which contractor they have been using with the other (CT) East coast SC?

I actually registered with Edison's online portal and did a search on the most obvious terms but didn't come up with anything. If anyone has the name of a contractor, I can try that.

Today I scouted out the Raritan Center area and the hotels in that area. Nothing.

We also checked both the Menlo Park and Woodbridge Center Malls as well as a few strip malls. Nothing.

My friend called the Edison Building Department (I forget the exact name), he spoke to a few people and got the name (and number) of the town electrical engineer or inspector, but the gentleman was not in when we called back. We were told this person would know if any charging station was approved.

We will try back Friday.

I also checked a few places on my way back from work last night. I got off at exit 11 and drive a little around rt 9 where that home depot and wawa and stores are and restaurants are. I didn't see anything 'tesla', but the entire front of the hampton inn is all torn up and under construction.

@yobigd20, that sure sounds promising. It's also not far off from "point A" on the map that @T2Blue posted here last week. Looks like it would be relatively quick and easy (barring traffic of course!) to access from all three major highways (287/440, GSP, NJT).

I'm looking forward to this one opening, I'll definitely need it when I go up to visit family in NJ.

@yobigd20, that sure sounds promising. It's also not far off from "point A" on the map that @T2Blue posted here last week. Looks like it would be relatively quick and easy (barring traffic of course!) to access from all three major highways (287/440, GSP, NJT).

I'm looking forward to this one opening, I'll definitely need it when I go up to visit family in NJ.

That would be a nearly ideal location for me--right on the way between my two sets of inlaws. Hope that's where it ends up...

Who knows if that is what's being built here. It could be something for Hampton Inn but ya never know. But yes I'd agree that's probably the best your gonna get for NJT+GSP drivers. I highlighted exactly what is under construction in the second img below. Note that whatever building is in that circle I don't recall seeing there - I think that entire highlighted section is completely demolished down to the dirt.

hampton1.png

hampton2e.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

oh, thanks to google, that building used to be Replay Bar & Grill which according to Yelp is closed. so possible that it was bought and demolished for Tesla Supercharger...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/replay-bar-and-grill-woodbridge?sort_by=date_desc

replay.png

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE: Well that idea's a no-go. I called Hampton Inn to inquire about the construction in front of their building and they immediately responded with a new restaurant, Miller's Ale House is being built there.

I will stick with Menlo Park mall... looked at Google earth. What is across the street? The on/off highway access is just too good.
What do I win if I'm right? Someone local call the mall.

I am working the angle of the township electrical building inspector. My friend just called (4:30pm (ET)), the gentleman has left for the day, but we left a message. If or when we hear back from him, I will let everyone know either way.

made an overlay of Tesla 2014 supercharger map on top of google maps for NJ/NY. I think it does a damn good job lining up Tesla's plans for superchargers around this area.

looking at this, we see supercharger locations in NJ for Edison & also around where 287 and 80 intersect in Parsippany. Other cities/towns in the general NY/NJ/MD/PA area: Stroudsburg, PA. Hazelton, PA. Scranton, PA. Syracuse, Ithaca, Buffalo, Albany, Newburgh. Hagerstown, MD. Bedford, PA. Morgantown, MD. .... plus more
View attachment 33999

Building one in Ithaca, but not one in Binghamton or Rochester ... Just baffling.

- - - Updated - - -

Who knows if that is what's being built here. It could be something for Hampton Inn but ya never know. But yes I'd agree that's probably the best your gonna get for NJT+GSP drivers. I highlighted exactly what is under construction in the second img below. Note that whatever building is in that circle I don't recall seeing there - I think that entire highlighted section is completely demolished down to the dirt.

View attachment 35672

View attachment 35673

- - - Updated - - -

oh, thanks to google, that building used to be Replay Bar & Grill which according to Yelp is closed. so possible that it was bought and demolished for Tesla Supercharger...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/replay-bar-and-grill-woodbridge?sort_by=date_desc

View attachment 35674

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE: Well that idea's a no-go. I called Hampton Inn to inquire about the construction in front of their building and they immediately responded with a new restaurant, Miller's Ale House is being built there.

With all the NJ Road Authority buildings and unused lots around that area, I think we may be pretty close to the target though.