Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ ? Any confirms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NEW JERSEY SUPERCHARGER UPDATE:

A proposal will be submitted to the Township of Edison Zoning Board next week (Tuesday, December 17th) to allow Tesla to install 8 Superchargers at the Menlo Park Mall on Route 1 in Edison, NJ.

Edison Zoning Board Agenda for 12/17/13:
http://www.edisonnj.org/document_center/Agenda__December_17__2013.pdf

Menlo Park Mall:
Menlo Park Mall Edison, NJ - Google Maps

Thank goodness, hopefully this permitting nightmare can finally end. This is a vital point on the I-95 corridor.

A proposal will be submitted to the Township of Edison Zoning Board next week (Tuesday, December 17th) to allow Tesla to install 8 Superchargers at the Menlo Park Mall on Route 1 in Edison, NJ

Edison Zoning Board Agenda for 12/17/13:
http://www.edisonnj.org/document_center/Agenda__December_17__2013.pdf

Menlo Park Mall:
Menlo Park Mall Edison, NJ - Google Maps

nothing new, already discussed here two weeks ago: Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ ? Any confirms? - Page 13

The word is that there will be one in Parsippany, as well.

ah right on 80, that's perfect -- although with talks of one going into Allentown, seems a bit odd as someone going out west from NYC would need to head north, then south to hit the SC:

map.PNG

I feel like Newark area is perfect for coming out of NYC

ah right on 80, that's perfect -- although with talks of one going into Allentown, seems a bit odd as someone going out west from NYC would need to head north, then south to hit the SC:

View attachment 37937

I feel like Newark area is perfect for coming out of NYC

Yes...but there aren't many places in the Newark area I'd want to hang out and charge my car.

Someone here noted that one good way to find info is to do a Google site search on a town domain, like "site:Hanover Township Home Page tesla" or "site:Hanover Township Home Page supercharger." That's how I found the notice in Edison. I've been googling around on the various town websites in the Parsippany area, but I haven't found anything yet.

Yes...but there aren't many places in the Newark area I'd want to hang out and charge my car.

Someone here noted that one good way to find info is to do a Google site search on a town domain, like "site:Hanover Township Home Page tesla" or "site:Hanover Township Home Page supercharger." That's how I found the notice in Edison. I've been googling around on the various town websites in the Parsippany area, but I haven't found anything yet.

Fair enough. There's always up by the GWB, or perhaps even better, secaucus junction. It's too far south for those taking the GWB to 80, but it's right outside NYC and between the holland and lincoln tunnels. Easy on/off access too.

That's what I'm waiting for. I live in Rochester and can't get to my family in Central and Northern NJ where I grew up. Need a Supercharger in Syracuse, Binghampton, Scranton.

From the maps looks like Syracuse and Scranton are in the works also East Stroudsburg (Delaware water Gap). Once I'm in NJ this Melno Park Charger is great. Going to pick up someone in JFK and that Charger is Great. Can't wait. Currently we take the Odyssey and spend about $140 in gas.

@dratifk: Based on Tesla's 2014/2015 maps, what you call "Scranton" is more likely closer to Hazleton, near the I-80/I-81 interchange. Perhaps at Laurel Mall. The downside to that, from the perspective of E-W travel along I-80, is it's 5 miles out of the way, and from your perspective it's even further out of the way. Also, "East Stroudsburg" is more likely Allentown, probably on the west side near the I-81/I-476 interchange. Driving from Rochester to northern NJ might still be tricky based on what the maps are showing. Depending on road/traffic conditions and where Tesla ultimately installs superchargers, instead of Syracuse > Binghamton > Scranton, you might need to go (for example) Syracuse > Albany > Newburgh. With 85 kWh and decent conditions, you might not even need all three stops.

Parsippany isn't currently on Tesla's 2014/2015 maps. It does make sense strategically, as it's right by the intersection of I-80, I-280, and I-287, and there's plenty of commercial and hotel options along Routes 46 and 202. The exit ramps can be a bit complicated, but good candidate locations would include the Morris Hills shopping center at 46/202, or Troy Hills shopping center at 46/Beverwyck Rd. It's "only" ~100 miles from Hazleton, and it definitely provides long-distance drivers a good array of options, including I-80 to the west, east to Manhattan via GW Bridge or Lincoln/Holland tunnels, or avoiding NYC to the northeast via Tappan Zee.

By contrast, Edison enables E-W travel just a bit further south along I-287 and I-78, or along the NJ Turnpike to I-276 and I-76. So, easy access from the southern portions of NYC, via Staten Island / JFK. Edison to Carlisle is 170-180 miles, which could be a stretch in a 60 or in extreme cold. But Edison to Newark DE is only ~105 miles, and Newark DE to Hagerstown MD is only ~130, so dipping even further south to I-70 would make it possible. There's even another 2014 dot near Edison -- in Hightstown? -- which might make those southern routes easier.

For anyone traveling west from midtown or downtown Manhattan, a logical NJ supercharger location would be Short Hills or Springfield, given Tesla's presence there. But since Edison and Parsippany should be able to cover most westbound NYC folks, I'm not convinced they'd add yet another supercharger in that part of NJ, at least not yet.

(All this from the perspective of a NJ native -- I grew up in Rockaway, not far from Parsippany, and my in-laws live in Bridgewater, not far from Parsippany or Edison.)

There's even another 2014 dot near Edison -- in Hightstown? -- which might make those southern routes easier.

The 2014 dot near the middle of NJ would be good to see. All other Tesla presence (Service, Stores, Superchargers) is squarely in Northern NJ.

Hightstown looks about right, and is a good option - junction of NJTP, Rt 33 and Rt 130, as well as Rt133/CR571 leading to West Windsor and Princeton. Has it's own small town center.

Could also picture it in Robbinsville area, a bit further south near the intersection of NJTP and Int 195 to aid east/west shore traffic (better than 33). Robbinsville's town center is smaller and newer, a bit further from NJTP (over by 33/130).

Both of these could be good landing spots, with lots of intersecting highways and some places to grab a bite.

The board was pleased with the technology, mission and success of the company.
The zoning board DID NOT approve the supercharger building permit at the mall. Their issue was with the wooden enclosing of the transformer as it did not look pleasing and was not up to Tesla's aesthetic level. They said it would look like a "dumpster block on our main front mall". They want a different look on the property which looks nice. Tesla now has to discuss this new request by the board with the landlord and see what he thinks of it and then present it again to the board for a vote on Jan. 14.
This felt like driving the ball 99 yards and not having a desired result.

It was very disappointing.

I think it was the township Planner who objected about the fence around the equipment. He was suggesting a kiosk design, creative or something more futuristic. Some of the fencing was lowered to 6 1/2 feet from 8 1/2 feet

As Dhwani said, Tesla will try to work with this Gentleman on a design of the fence that is acceptable, and the board hopefully will vote on it Jan 14th.

I spoke, answered a few questions, and showed my car (in the 23 degree parking lot) to one of the Board Members, he indicated to me it should pass when brought up again.

Also of note, the plan is for 8 Superchargers, but Tesla only plans to install 6 now. The infrastructure will be added now, so the remaining two charges could easily be added later if needed.

Not related to the Edison location, but Mr. Bennett from Tesla said they are also planning or looking into a location in Hamilton NJ.

Last edited: