Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Which Model 3 Color Will You Choose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time for that difficult decision – which color? It seems the “Standard” Model 3 will come in black, while five additional colors are available as $1,000 options.

Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-9.43.23-AM.png
Standard Black

Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-9.31.01-AM.png
Deep Blue Metallic

Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-9.46.13-AM.png
Pearl White Multi-Coat

Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-9.49.03-AM.png
Midnight Silver Metallic

3_s.jpg
Silver Metallic

model-3-red-overhead.png
Red Multi-Coat

Last edited by a moderator:
So long as they keep the red multi-coat at the same price as the other colours that'll be my choice.
I love the look of a clean properly groomed black car.. But that look would last about an hour in the work car park.

If they up the charge for the multi-coats above other colours the blue might be my fallback option.

All subject to change when I get to see some model 3s in the sheetmetal of course.

A red car being associated with more speeding tickets is a misconception.

Do Red Cars Get More Speeding Tickets?

Do red cars get pulled over more often for speeding?

Hmm.... I find the logic in that Snopes article somewhat suspect. Like:
White cars, which accounted for 25 percent of the local vehicle population, received only 19 percent of the tickets, which meant such jalopies were cited for their transgressions less often than they should have been.

Or... white cars appeal to car buyers who do not tend to speed or otherwise break the law as often. I find that white is more likely to appeal to the more practical car shopper than to the one with a need for speed. He is assuming that because 25% of the cars on the road are white, 25% of the transgressions are committed by them.

I never expected this but the aero wheels are defining my car color here. I refuse the $1500 upgraded wheels - even though I think they are very nice. I'm spending way way to much on other, more important things here.
Still trying to convince myself that this is the time to get my first black car. I've forever loved the multicoat Red w/ charcoal premium wheels on the S and I just figured I'd get the closest thing to that....but now that I see the aeros...I no longer like the Red (as much).
I'm favoring midnight silver as well but then I debate if there's enough of a difference between that dark grey/silver and just the standard black.
So as of now, I'm getting the "badass black" ...much better name than standard or solid black.
I expect that the matte black/grey we saw will be coming later for performance versions...I can't wait but that'd be my easy choice if I could get it on a first production version.

For those who care about color behavior in sunlight, most seemed concerned about excessive heat. An extra hot car in summer is bad, but they are indifferent to an extra cold car in winter. However, I agree with what someone else said, that in certain climates, the dark or black colored car may be more efficient overall, as heating a car interior is more energy expensive than cooling it. Also, ice will melt off the car faster. I could see choosing a dark color in climates where cold weather is more common than hot.

Recently I also saw a news report about painting a street white or light grey to reduce heat. This was presented as a great idea, but it must be pointed out that this too was entirely climate dependent. This would be a bad thing to do in a place with a lot of winter weather, as it would impede ice and snow melt and could partially camouflage snow patches on the a partially covered roadway.

Reactions: jsmay311
I never expected this but the aero wheels are defining my car color here. I refuse the $1500 upgraded wheels - even though I think they are very nice. I'm spending way way to much on other, more important things here.
Still trying to convince myself that this is the time to get my first black car. I've forever loved the multicoat Red w/ charcoal premium wheels on the S and I just figured I'd get the closest thing to that....but now that I see the aeros...I no longer like the Red (as much).
I'm favoring midnight silver as well but then I debate if there's enough of a difference between that dark grey/silver and just the standard black.
So as of now, I'm getting the "badass black" ...much better name than standard or solid black.
I expect that the matte black/grey we saw will be coming later for performance versions...I can't wait but that'd be my easy choice if I could get it on a first production version.

I feel for you. You are so excited about the black color, even renaming it to be cooler. You have visions of this really badass black thing roving the streets....I get it....and then, you have to live with it....every speck of dust calling your name....every minor swirl scraping against your corneas....every time an insect looks at it cross-eyed, you're out with polish and microfiber and heaven help you if you ever have to go through a mechanical car wash.....don't look!! :eek::eek: Not sure how old you are but there's a difference between a crazy Saturday night and whom you marry. "High maintenance" really can start to get you down long after the initial thrill wears off. Ever google and see the video on "hot vs. crazy"? That's black paint on a car. Get what you want, but can't let you go without at least a friendly, neighborly heads-up from at least one voice of experience! :D

I feel for you. You are so excited about the black color, even renaming it to be cooler. You have visions of this really badass black thing roving the streets....I get it....and then, you have to live with it....every speck of dust calling your name....every minor swirl scraping against your corneas....every time an insect looks at it cross-eyed, you're out with polish and microfiber and heaven help you if you ever have to go through a mechanical car wash.....don't look!! :eek::eek: Not sure how old you are but there's a difference between a crazy Saturday night and whom you marry. "High maintenance" really can start to get you down long after the initial thrill wears off. Ever google and see the video on "hot vs. crazy"? That's black paint on a car. Get what you want, but can't let you go without at least a friendly, neighborly heads-up from at least one voice of experience! :D
If you're super perfectionistic about your car's finish don't get black. If a dirty black car still looks fine to you and some noticeable swirls in the sunshine don't bother you, get black if that's the color you like. I think a dirty black car looks better than a clean white car any day. I do like silver though. I still sometimes wonder if I should have got silver. If you don't mind spending $4000 - $5000 on paint protection film then definitely get black and do a full wrap. It eliminates the swirls (my car came from the factory with swirls) and you can even take it through the car wash. My car is halfway wrapped with Xpel. I plan on having it completely wrapped if I don't end up trading it in for a Model 3.

I wash my car by hand with a pressure washer every couple of weeks. It takes less than 30 min to wash and dry and it only uses a small amount of water. I tried the two bucket method, but it took too long and used a lot of water without the pressure washer.

I love the blue and the midnight silver (grey). I also loved the matte black they had at the original reveal. Perhaps save the money on paint and get it wrapped in a color of choice.
This is what I'm doing. I'm getting black and having it wrapped in a satin black.
Yeah...me also...gonna get free black and then wrap. Matte colors and brushed metallic wraps are so freakin cool looking.