Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Model 3 springs for a more comfortable ride?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know if they transport Tesla’s with shipping blocks in the springs, but you might just poke your head into the wheel wells to see if there are any rubber shipping blocks between the coils of the springs. If they do ship with them, they sometimes forget to remove them. link below has a pic of what they can look like (note: they are usually black vs. the red in the picture below).

Google Image Result for http://i.imgur.com/YoTbUOA.jpg

I looked and do not see any shipping blocks but I can only see the very top portion of the spring.

I'll make sure to ask about it. My appointment is 12/18 now.

@Andrew did you have any luck with the issue as of yet. I'd be interested to know.

I just upgraded my coilovers to Unplugged and am super impressed. I'd really encourage anyone thinking about getting only the new springs to really think about spending a little more and getting the coilovers, it's a whole new world!

The stock shocks really don't seem to have the best dampening curve and aftermarket ones are a big step up. This means that the aftermarket coilovers can give you a more firm/better handling ride and give better ride comfort over bumps.

Unplugged didn’t make coil overs right? Still looking for the right performance suspension.

Yea they do make them, i just upgraded to their first set of a new racing coilover. It's still a prototype (i'm the tester :p) but so far its crushed my expectations. I was worried it would be too harsh on the street and it's not too bad at all, i'm very surprised and happy.

That said, my goal was a racing/performance suspension and i specifically requested stiff springs for that. If you contact them and request a comfortable ride, you will get something even better for pure street use. They really know what they're doing with these coilovers.

Yea they do make them, i just upgraded to their first set of a new racing coilover. It's still a prototype (i'm the tester :p) but so far its crushed my expectations. I was worried it would be too harsh on the street and it's not too bad at all, i'm very surprised and happy.

That said, my goal was a racing/performance suspension and i specifically requested stiff springs for that. If you contact them and request a comfortable ride, you will get something even better for pure street use. They really know what they're doing with these coilovers.

Have you had a chance to compare them by driving a car with the mountain pass coilovers? Very curious cuz I've just put in an order for the sport coilovers

Have you had a chance to compare them by driving a car with the mountain pass coilovers? Very curious cuz I've just put in an order for the sport coilovers

Nope i haven't had the chance yet, but i hope to soon. In my opinion the key difference between the two (Unplugged and Mountain Pass) are that one is monotube and the other twin-tube. Twin-tube is probably better for more comfort/street use and monotube is more of a performance shock IMO. Monotube will have less aeration and more adjustability, but slightly firmer ride from a higher gas charge.

Reactions: dfwatt
Nope i haven't had the chance yet, but i hope to soon. In my opinion the key difference between the two (Unplugged and Mountain Pass) are that one is monotube and the other twin-tube. Twin-tube is probably better for more comfort/street use and monotube is more of a performance shock IMO. Monotube will have less aeration and more adjustability, but slightly firmer ride from a higher gas charge.
Look forward to hearing your impressions when you've had a chance to drive an MPP car. The other interesting thing is that the MPP setup has adjustable rebound and compression - I assume that's a function of their Twin Tube design? While unplugged has just one adjustment for both? Or at least that's my understanding. Also curious if you could post some times pre and post coilovers?

The other interesting thing is that the MPP setup has adjustable rebound and compression - I assume that's a function of their Twin Tube design? While unplugged has just one adjustment for both?

Correct MPP sport coilover is 2-way adjustable (rebound and compression) as well, it's not necessarily a function of the monotube/twintube design and is sort of separate. My custom set-up is also 2-way adjustable, but the regular Unplugged one is 1-way (rebound only).

To be honest most people will never touch the adjustment settings in their cars and 1-way adjustment is probably plenty. I'm kinda scared that now i will be spending tons of time trying to tune my set-up at the track instead of just driving the darn thing haha

Reactions: dfwatt
Correct MPP sport coilover is 2-way adjustable (rebound and compression) as well, it's not necessarily a function of the monotube/twintube design and is sort of separate. My custom set-up is also 2-way adjustable, but the regular Unplugged one is 1-way (rebound only).

To be honest most people will never touch the adjustment settings in their cars and 1-way adjustment is probably plenty. I'm kinda scared that now i will be spending tons of time trying to tune my set-up at the track instead of just driving the darn thing haha
I had a super radical and aggressive coilover on my Lexus IS 350. I spent a lot of time tweaking it but I could never find anything that was all that comfortable on the street. That's why it's it's in the garage most of the time even though it's handling is exceptional. Plus it feels very primitive and rather slow compared to the model 3 ! I think part of the problem though was that I put this coilover kit on the car after the bushings had really hardened up from years and years of just normal wear and oxidation. That's one of my concerns about going to radical in terms of tires and suspension bits is that once all that nice new bushing rubber hardens up your car is going to go from firm to brittle:(:(

Finally got my @UnpluggedP Mild Springs installed today!

Before I even left the parking lot, I became a very happy camper! Bumps in the road no longer jostle the car as badly, and the ride overall is noticeably smoother. Driving back from Hawthorne to Santa Monica -- especially on the bumpy 405 -- was dramatically improved.

It's still no air suspension, of course - but now it feels to me like the car should have felt all along. I didn't actually notice any difference in handling (though I haven't really put the car through its paces yet), and I'm not bracing for impact every time I approach a speedbump.

The springs lowered the car more than I was expecting - and one of the reasons I picked the mild springs was because I didn't want to reduce ground clearance too much. However, so far it wasn't a problem at all, so hopefully there's still plenty of clearance and that's all good.

The installation took about two hours, and I just hung out in their office and worked on my laptop and had some coffee. They were also kind enough to rotate my wheels for no extra charge (and top off the air in the tires), which was much appreciated.

I think road noise may actually be reduced a little bit too....but that could just be in my head, or the particular roads I was on.

So... the verdict is YAY!!!!!!

Before I even left the parking lot, I became a very happy camper! Bumps in the road no longer jostle the car as badly, and the ride overall is noticeably smoother. Driving back from Hawthorne to Santa Monica -- especially on the bumpy 405 -- was dramatically improved.

It's still no air suspension, of course - but now it feels to me like the car should have felt all along. I didn't actually notice any difference in handling (though I haven't really put the car through its paces yet), and I'm not bracing for impact every time I approach a speedbump.

The springs lowered the car more than I was expecting - and one of the reasons I picked the mild springs was because I didn't want to reduce ground clearance too much. However, so far it wasn't a problem at all, so hopefully there's still plenty of clearance and that's all good.

The installation took about two hours, and I just hung out in their office and worked on my laptop and had some coffee. They were also kind enough to rotate my wheels for no extra charge (and top off the air in the tires), which was much appreciated.

I think road noise may actually be reduced a little bit too....but that could just be in my head, or the particular roads I was on.

Congrats Andrew! I've had the UP Mild springs for 3 months now and am still loving them. I love the ride height (I got the Mild instead of the Moderate as I only wanted about a 1" drop), and the reduction in body roll was especially helpful on the track. For $400 they are a great performance bang for the buck for sure. I still may get full C/O one day, but I'm still saving $ for wider wheels and tires first.

Reactions: Andrew
I’ll take those springs off your hands when you’re ready to move over. :)

Congrats Andrew! I've had the UP Mild springs for 3 months now and am still loving them. I love the ride height (I got the Mild instead of the Moderate as I only wanted about a 1" drop), and the reduction in body roll was especially helpful on the track. For $400 they are a great performance bang for the buck for sure. I still may get full C/O one day, but I'm still saving $ for wider wheels and tires first.

Awesome! Which version of Model 3 do you have?

I'm looking to drop a little, but mainly get rid of the "bouncy" ride. I feel like the springs have too little travel before engaging the bump stops. Results in a "jiggly" ride over bumps. Ironically over larger bumps, the car feels fairly smooth. Do you think that's been addressed with these springs?

Thank you.