TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Which Model 3 springs for a more comfortable ride?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by Andrew, Nov 23, 2018.

1. SciFriGuy

SciFriGuy Member

How do I know if I have the newer seats? I have the same road problem. And if I don't have them, how do I get them swapped out?

2. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

Change is seats, dampers and springs were done before AWD was released, not sure if any further changes were made

3. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Member

I looked and do not see any shipping blocks but I can only see the very top portion of the spring.

I'll make sure to ask about it. My appointment is 12/18 now.

@Andrew did you have any luck with the issue as of yet. I'd be interested to know.

4. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Seat and spring change happened almost a year ago, if you received your vehicle 2 weeks ago you have the latest/greatest.

5. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Don't know, I think it was one of those inline changes that are essentially supposed to be invisible to users

6. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151, Model 3 #1576

I've got an appointment with @UnpluggedP to get the Mild springs on Wednesday... will report back once they're installed! :)

• Like x 1
  7. aspec818

aspec818 Member

how did it go? any pics of your car with the milds?

8. Andrew

Turns out the springs were out of stock. They said they'd follow up when they're back in, but I haven't heard anything. I'll go send him a nudge now!

9. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

I just upgraded my coilovers to Unplugged and am super impressed. I'd really encourage anyone thinking about getting only the new springs to really think about spending a little more and getting the coilovers, it's a whole new world!

The stock shocks really don't seem to have the best dampening curve and aftermarket ones are a big step up. This means that the aftermarket coilovers can give you a more firm/better handling ride and give better ride comfort over bumps.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. aspec818

aspec818 Member

Unplugged didn’t make coil overs right? Still looking for the right performance suspension.

11. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Yea they do make them, i just upgraded to their first set of a new racing coilover. It's still a prototype (i'm the tester :p) but so far its crushed my expectations. I was worried it would be too harsh on the street and it's not too bad at all, i'm very surprised and happy.

That said, my goal was a racing/performance suspension and i specifically requested stiff springs for that. If you contact them and request a comfortable ride, you will get something even better for pure street use. They really know what they're doing with these coilovers.

12. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

Have you had a chance to compare them by driving a car with the mountain pass coilovers? Very curious cuz I've just put in an order for the sport coilovers

13. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Nope i haven't had the chance yet, but i hope to soon. In my opinion the key difference between the two (Unplugged and Mountain Pass) are that one is monotube and the other twin-tube. Twin-tube is probably better for more comfort/street use and monotube is more of a performance shock IMO. Monotube will have less aeration and more adjustability, but slightly firmer ride from a higher gas charge.

• Like x 1
  14. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

Look forward to hearing your impressions when you've had a chance to drive an MPP car. The other interesting thing is that the MPP setup has adjustable rebound and compression - I assume that's a function of their Twin Tube design? While unplugged has just one adjustment for both? Or at least that's my understanding. Also curious if you could post some times pre and post coilovers?

15. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Correct MPP sport coilover is 2-way adjustable (rebound and compression) as well, it's not necessarily a function of the monotube/twintube design and is sort of separate. My custom set-up is also 2-way adjustable, but the regular Unplugged one is 1-way (rebound only).

To be honest most people will never touch the adjustment settings in their cars and 1-way adjustment is probably plenty. I'm kinda scared that now i will be spending tons of time trying to tune my set-up at the track instead of just driving the darn thing haha

• Like x 1
  16. dfwatt

dfwatt Active Member

I had a super radical and aggressive coilover on my Lexus IS 350. I spent a lot of time tweaking it but I could never find anything that was all that comfortable on the street. That's why it's it's in the garage most of the time even though it's handling is exceptional. Plus it feels very primitive and rather slow compared to the model 3 ! I think part of the problem though was that I put this coilover kit on the car after the bushings had really hardened up from years and years of just normal wear and oxidation. That's one of my concerns about going to radical in terms of tires and suspension bits is that once all that nice new bushing rubber hardens up your car is going to go from firm to brittle:(:(

17. Andrew

Finally got my @UnpluggedP Mild Springs installed today!

Before I even left the parking lot, I became a very happy camper! Bumps in the road no longer jostle the car as badly, and the ride overall is noticeably smoother. Driving back from Hawthorne to Santa Monica -- especially on the bumpy 405 -- was dramatically improved.

It's still no air suspension, of course - but now it feels to me like the car should have felt all along. I didn't actually notice any difference in handling (though I haven't really put the car through its paces yet), and I'm not bracing for impact every time I approach a speedbump.

The springs lowered the car more than I was expecting - and one of the reasons I picked the mild springs was because I didn't want to reduce ground clearance too much. However, so far it wasn't a problem at all, so hopefully there's still plenty of clearance and that's all good.

The installation took about two hours, and I just hung out in their office and worked on my laptop and had some coffee. They were also kind enough to rotate my wheels for no extra charge (and top off the air in the tires), which was much appreciated.

I think road noise may actually be reduced a little bit too....but that could just be in my head, or the particular roads I was on.

So... the verdict is YAY!!!!!!

• Like x 2
  18. MoreAgain

MoreAgain Member

Congrats Andrew! I've had the UP Mild springs for 3 months now and am still loving them. I love the ride height (I got the Mild instead of the Moderate as I only wanted about a 1" drop), and the reduction in body roll was especially helpful on the track. For $400 they are a great performance bang for the buck for sure. I still may get full C/O one day, but I'm still saving $ for wider wheels and tires first.

• Like x 1
  19. bradhs

bradhs Member

I’ll take those springs off your hands when you’re ready to move over. :)

20. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Member

Awesome! Which version of Model 3 do you have?

I'm looking to drop a little, but mainly get rid of the "bouncy" ride. I feel like the springs have too little travel before engaging the bump stops. Results in a "jiggly" ride over bumps. Ironically over larger bumps, the car feels fairly smooth. Do you think that's been addressed with these springs?

Thank you.