Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior worth $2k or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
White looks way more cool than black. Also MUCH better if you live in a hot climate. As for cleaning, well, I've had mine 2 years and it looks brand new. Not even the slightest stretch mark (can't say that for leather!). As for care, the seats get a a wipe down with a damp cloth every couple of months or so. Easy to maintain, no stains (and my wife wears all colors under the sun!) and nice and cool in summer. I could never go back to black now unless I lived in a very cold climate!

One more thing - the black interior's wood trim actually feels like wood! It's deliciously grainy and matte. It looks like an engineered product, and I don't know if it's actually made from real wood, but it sure feels satisfying to me. I like it more than typical fancy car wood trim that's so heavily lacquered it feels like plastic and reflects lights into your eyes.

I don't remember what the white trim feels like. I guess it wasn't memorable. ;)
It feels like beautiful cold steel, great in the hot summer months. Personally I have never liked wood interiors in cars except a black ash interior I had in an Audi once...because it didn't look like wood! Of course, this is all a matter of personal opinion as to what is better...

Reactions: tm1v2
I saw an equal mix of those posts you mention above here, along with statements that people have made in this thread, like "I have had them for X time and other than doing X, they look like new". What I never saw, however, was anyone with black seats saying anything about upkeep on them.
I think some people buy the black seats because they hide the dirt better! LOL

It feels like beautiful cold steel, great in the hot summer months. Personally I have never liked wood interiors in cars except a black ash interior I had in an Audi once...because it didn't look like wood! Of course, this is all a matter of personal opinion as to what is better...
Ohhh...I love the look and feel of brushed metal trim (usually aluminum), even though it's out of vogue now (more of a 2000s thing I think). Maybe I was so blinded by the white I forgot to feel it up. 😆

If Tesla offered black + metal trim, or cream + wood, or cream + carbon fiber...all of those would be great to me! (With cream + carbon fiber being what I have in my S...)

Ohhh...I love the look and feel of brushed metal trim (usually aluminum), even though it's out of vogue now (more of a 2000s thing I think). Maybe I was so blinded by the white I forgot to feel it up. 😆

If Tesla offered black + metal trim, or cream + wood, or cream + carbon fiber...all of those would be great to me! (With cream + carbon fiber being what I have in my S...)

i havent seen the cream in person but looks interesting...

White looks way more cool than black. Also MUCH better if you live in a hot climate. As for cleaning, well, I've had mine 2 years and it looks brand new. Not even the slightest stretch mark (can't say that for leather!). As for care, the seats get a a wipe down with a damp cloth every couple of months or so. Easy to maintain, no stains (and my wife wears all colors under the sun!) and nice and cool in summer. I could never go back to black now unless I lived in a very cold climate!
I wanted white on white but don’t wanna wait in the queue again. So getting white exterior black interior. Picking up the car tomorrow.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I too will echo these sentiments. My wife had a white interior Mazda and in about a year the seats picked up a blue tint from our jeans. This is not to say Tesla will have the same faith, but the idea of constant maintenance turned me off.

I use a baby wipe once a month or so. It might take a few mins of rubbing but I can’t detect any retained color. Might be there but it’s SUPER faint. It’s not a big deal really.

I think some people buy the black seats because they hide the dirt better! LOL

Dirt comes in a lot of colors. Black seats do a terrible job of hiding light colored dirt. A dog with light colored hair?? Dust is shockingly white. Plus all the reports of the black headrests delaminating, and the posts I have seen with white stains on the black seats from lotion, sunscreen, and sweat. Nightmares! Plus, you're sending a message that you've already given up on life by getting the black seats.

• Funny
Reactions: Ohmster
Truth is if you really want a white interior and are considering it enough to ask for advice from others, get it. Otherwise you will regret not getting it like I do and have to live with something you don't like as much. If you've ever seen the white interior in person via a showroom model or test drive, chances are you'll want it because of how unique it looks. I don't know of any other makes offering a pure white interior like Tesla.

I wonder if those who extol the virtues of the black interior would be willing to pay for it if was an option? I got the white on white and was annoyed that I had to pay for it as an upgrade but at the same time relieved that the exterior white was standard😀
To me the full Tesla experience is long range, white interior and self driving. And I was hoping that they would all be standard 😀. In the end I paid way more for the car than I budgeted for, fortunately I have an understanding wife. But the Model 3 SR+ is an excellent package at a very competitive price especially as was eligible for the maximum subsidy. Certainly that is the one the sales staff were pushing.

I wonder if those who extol the virtues of the black interior would be willing to pay for it if was an option?

Yes, If white was free, and black cost 1k I still would have gotten the black interior. Color is personal, so everyone will have a different answer. White interior (or color of the car in general) has nothing to do with "Tesla ownership" to me.