Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White "smoke" coming from car while Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone

I had a mobile technician at home today, nothing serious just a few cosmetic things to be adjusted.
About 2 hours ago I went to the nearest Supercharger, a 125KW Charger. I had about 18% left and wanted to charge fully (in preperation for a trip tomorrow).

I was minding my business, watching a video on Youtube when just 5-10 Minutes into charging i see a lot of white smoke coming out of my front wheelwells, frunk and front bumper.
I immediately ran out of the car to unplug the charger and called the same mobile technician. While waiting for him to arrive, I see another MY having the same thing (just a few seconds long and not alot of smoke)!
After about 30 minutes he arrives, checks my car and tells me that everything is in order. Apparently there's condensation leaking from my low pressure valve (connected to the Super Manifold), atleast that's what I'm told.

So his advice was to just ignore it and if it happens again, I should oben a Service appointment in the App (not as a Service/ Checkup, but rather as a Note to the technicians).

I'm super paranoid to drive with my M3 (2021) again.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Just happened this morning while charging my (March 2020) MY. White smoke while supercharging, in cold weather. Never seen this before. I’m about to contact service now.

Relax everyone. Under the hood is a plethora of bare aluminum pipes and pumps that get very cold
2_d3449ff1-db5f-42b1-be06-c5a631b9adc7_1200x.jpg

This cold metal attracts condensation:
Screenshot 2021-10-24 100254.png

And the water steams off during supercharging because all those pumps are working to heat the battery:
Screenshot 2021-10-24 101113.png

It likely appears in a burst because the system was previously only trying to heat the cabin, but when you started Supercharging a valve opened to begin directing heat to the battery thru a different section of plumbing that was still wet/icy.

Hi everyone

I had a mobile technician at home today, nothing serious just a few cosmetic things to be adjusted.
About 2 hours ago I went to the nearest Supercharger, a 125KW Charger. I had about 18% left and wanted to charge fully (in preperation for a trip tomorrow).

I was minding my business, watching a video on Youtube when just 5-10 Minutes into charging i see a lot of white smoke coming out of my front wheelwells, frunk and front bumper.
I immediately ran out of the car to unplug the charger and called the same mobile technician. While waiting for him to arrive, I see another MY having the same thing (just a few seconds long and not alot of smoke)!
After about 30 minutes he arrives, checks my car and tells me that everything is in order. Apparently there's condensation leaking from my low pressure valve (connected to the Super Manifold), atleast that's what I'm told.

So his advice was to just ignore it and if it happens again, I should oben a Service appointment in the App (not as a Service/ Checkup, but rather as a Note to the technicians).

Yes, just did. While supercharging halfway when smoke was coming front my frunk and right front wheel. I immediately stopped charging. There was no smell of burnt or anything.

The same steam situation just happened to me 1 hour ago while charging, the weather was very foggy (humid) and the temperature was 6 degree Celsius.
I also panicked at the moment, stopped charging and the steam stopped immediately.
I drove 40km at motorway speeds after without any problems or smell, so everything looks fine, just some perfect humidity water combination

Hi everyone

Just did! Thanks to your post, I’m relaxed.

OK, I'll be the pedant here. What you are seeing in the photo of that locomotive is not steam but condensed water vapor. Actual steam is invisible and will strip the skin from your bones in seconds. Especially from a steam powered engine that will operate at very high temperatures and pressures.

What you are seeing from your car is also unlikely to be smoke but water vapor. In cold weather it is very common as components heat up.

"Where there is smoke, there's fire."

Hi everyone

Just happened to me now. It jas no odor. Definitely condensation.. its about 38° and i got a notice to charge immediately at 19% when i pulled in.

The same steam situation just happened to me 1 hour ago while charging, the weather was very foggy (humid) and the temperature was 6 degree Celsius.
I also panicked at the moment, stopped charging and the steam stopped immediately.
I drove 40km at motorway speeds after without any problems or smell, so everything looks fine, just some perfect humidity water combination
Same here

Hi everyone

It just happend to me today while i was supercharging my Y at Buena park, Source Mall.
the security guard calling me that my Y is smoking when I returing from restroom.
Right away, I turned off the charging and unplug supercharger and opend the hood, remove the inner plastic cover at air filter to check.
The smoke stopped right after when it is unplugged from supercharger and did not smoke again.
I checked out under the hood and where the right tire is with flash light but nothing i can find visulally.
after 5 min, i plugged back and charged 80% as usual without any issue.
this was freaking moment.

Reactions: Willis
It just happend to me today while i was supercharging my Y at Buena park, Source Mall.
the security guard was calling me that my Y is smoking when I was returing from restroom.
Right away, I turned off the charging and unplug supercharger and opend the hood, remove the inner plastic cover at air filter to check.
The smoke stopped right after when it is unplugged from supercharger and did not smoke again.
I checked out under the hood and where the right tire is with flash light but nothing i can find visulally.
after 5 min, i plugged back and charged 80% as usual without any issue.
this was freaking moment.

Same thing happens to my 2021 m3 LR. About 42 degrees outside, about 7 minutes into charging. I hear a small knock on the drivers side, then a small knock a few minutes later on the passenger side. Then saw the white vapor coming out of the frunk. Outside it had a musty smell. Just happened an hour ago, so I’m keeping an eye on it

Hi all, just had the same thing, travelling from Birmingham to Cornwall and stopped after 3 hours to charge. Grabbed a coffee and on my my back my wife noticed what looked like immense amount of smoke (although it now seems like vapour) coming from the car, so much so, that in the rain you could barely see the car. I immediately stopped charging and it stopped. Sounds like this is a thing on the Teslas now so just need to know if when it happens next time, do I need to stop charging and do I need to get it looked at now?

Also had this today, brand new M3LR picked up 3 days ago, pulled up at the supercharger, 15% battery, was in the car with the heating on, got very worried, then the “white smoke” cleared, car has no sign of issues, no warnings or anything on the screen, car continued to charge to 80% with no issues and seemed to be fine after.
Has anyone booked in with Tesla about this?

I can confirm the same situation. Charging 40kw CCS in 1-3 degree of Celsius in Czech republic. Model LR 2021 with heat pump. Suddenly after 15min cloud of white smoke from front right side under the hood with dump rough sound "buf buf"...i continued in charging and then 10km trip home. And all is good. No warnings, no leaking , no malfunction found since that (1 montáž, 3000 km)...