Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White vs Pearl White

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cool, thanks guys. I guess white type on a black background is the way to go.

Having never bought a new car before, how does this stuff work? Do i buy the plates from RMS and give them to Tesla before delivery or something? I guess i'll need the VIN to buy the plates?

Can't speak for NSW, but I'd imagine it's the same as QLD. You just need your drivers license details to order. You give the details to Tesla in advance for when they register the car. The plates can either be delivered to them in advance or brought along and attached at delivery.

cool, thanks guys. I guess white type on a black background is the way to go.

Having never bought a new car before, how does this stuff work? Do i buy the plates from RMS and give them to Tesla before delivery or something? I guess i'll need the VIN to buy the plates?

Go to My Plates and order the plates you want.
If they arrive before your car you can store them at the Chatswood RMS for circa $80 per year.
When your car arrives you fill out a Transfer of plates form and give it to Tesla St Leonards to pick up for you.
Ask them to double side tape them rather than drill and screw.

In SA you can order replacement plates at any time. On the form you select the colour. So you could order a replacement set at a different colour to the original set, then mix and match. SA does not require old plates to be surrendered.
Hmmm - perhaps I could do it that way; but maybe not as I'll have to figure what I want on them and Warwick has already got NCC1701.

In NSW you do have to surrender your old plates. I have had my number for 30 years. Wanted a new style for the Tesla and had them remanufactured. I had to re register my old car with a generic number while my new plates were in storage before delivery of the Tesla, and had to return my 8 year old plates from the old car while the new plates were being manufactured. I too wanted different colors front and back.

I originally wanted grey or red as the colour of the car, but ended up going with solid white at the insistence of my spouse and daughter. I've never had a white car before (always thought it was dull). But I have to say it has grown on me. IMHO plain white accentuates the lines on a well designed car like the Model S (of course that could be post purchase justification). I also have white lettering on black base for the number plates, which minimises the visual interruption to the nose cone.

I checked into the legislation (QLD) and could find no regulation against different front/back colors, so I rang them up and asked them to document to me why it was against the legislation/regulations. The poor girl I spoke to was clueless, but she promised to go away and find out. Below is a screen grab of the email reply. So... it's not illegal, but merely by the fact that PPQ choose not to make it available, I could be pulled over and fined for it. Really? I'd like to see them try that one!

Advice Re Color.jpg

I checked into the legislation (QLD) and could find no regulation against different front/back colors, so I rang them up and asked them to document to me why it was against the legislation/regulations. The poor girl I spoke to was clueless, but she promised to go away and find out. Below is a screen grab of the email reply. So... it's not illegal, but merely by the fact that PPQ choose not to make it available, I could be pulled over and fined for it. Really? I'd like to see them try that one!

View attachment 103828
so if the individual plates are legal, the number matches on both, but the appearance is different, you will be fined? Hahahaha. Just what part of the law is the magistrate going to invoke? She has already told you that there is no legislation on the issue.
Like the paper said, " The law is an ass".