Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White/White Model 3 in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The white looks great on a new car...but if you look at it cross-eyed it will get dirty/stained, especially if that is leather and not some synthetic. I wouldn't let a pair of jeans within 50 yards of that seat thinking about dye transfer! I'm hoping when I get a chance to see the interior options, there is something light for heat rejection, but not so easily marred in appearance.

Actually they white gets some good reviews. They are synthetic or "vegan" as tesla puts it.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and voip-ninja
The white looks great on a new car...but if you look at it cross-eyed it will get dirty/stained, especially if that is leather and not some synthetic. I wouldn't let a pair of jeans within 50 yards of that seat thinking about dye transfer! I'm hoping when I get a chance to see the interior options, there is something light for heat rejection, but not so easily marred in appearance.

Believe they moved to all non-leather seating a few weeks ago, in the S/X. White has always been synthetic.

Reactions: Rogue one
Actually they white gets some good reviews. They are synthetic or "vegan" as tesla puts it.

The immediate spill test is interesting, noting the protective seat cushion covers, but they are only removing granular material sitting on the surface or an immediate spill. What I would want to see they did not show. How are the front seat cushions holding up and how easily can the gradual dirt/color transfer clean up after the weight and pressure of the back of pants, etc., grinding into the surface over time? In my wife's last MB, the seat back and even door trim arm rest took on a reddish hue....sure enough she had bought a new red leather jacket and worn it in the car for quite a while...never could get the red out from the tan leather on the seat or vinyl inserts on the doors again.

Choosing from common accent trim materials, brushed aluminum has this color and sheen when in low light (with the piece being angled and curved slightly). This is of course just an opinion, but I'm highly confident based on the detail of the picture.
IMG_1021.PNG
Respectfully, how can you tell? Maybe it's just the iPad screen I'm browsing this on but I can't see anything on the dash except darkness and shadow. Maybe my night vision is bad LOL.

You're right that it's too soon for any of the 3's to be officially registered yet.

Really how long does that take in CA to get plates for a new car? Here in Oregon we walk in to the DMV with our purchase paperwork and walk out of the door with plates and registration stickers. It takes just a matter of hours. (Assuming that there is a line which there always is.)

If you want custom plates that is a whole different story it takes a couple months to get them, but they give you a "trip" permit that you have to stick in the window until they arrive.

Really how long does that take in CA to get plates for a new car? Here in Oregon we walk in to the DMV with our purchase paperwork and walk out of the door with plates and registration stickers. It takes just a matter of hours. (Assuming that there is a line which there always is.)

If you want custom plates that is a whole different story it takes a couple months to get them, but they give you a "trip" permit that you have to stick in the window until they arrive.
Many months, if you're lucky, like everything from the government.

I just don't think this is a production car. They are focused on just getting the 3 produced as fast as possible and this would only add complication. I know the white interiors we have seen had a white insert on the dash but I thought maybe we would see wood on a production model.

It's possible/likely that they have the white interior but just not in significant enough quantities that they can offer it for mere mortals just yet. They also could be trying to determine how much to sell it for since they will make it another option at order time.

Can you just do a plate swap on 2 cars? In Oregon I already have my model 3 custom plate on my current daily driver. When my car arrives I walk in and pay (I think $20) and just trade the temp registration (waiting for the full to go through) with my existing plate.
More likely would be obtaining a vanity plate for a prior car and then physically moving it over to the new car without permission from DMV. You still would need to wait many months for the government to send you non-vanity plates. Only then will the DMV allow you to register the vanity plates to your car. Until then, you must use the temporary paper in the windshield. Thus, for many months, you have no official plates on the car. Usually, the temporary paper in the windshield almost expires before you get your plates. Government is always messed up.

brushed aluminum dash too
View attachment 241297
To my eye, that is a white dash just like on the Alpha car. A brushed aluminum dash will be available in aftermarket. The chrome around the window is not blacked out, it is in fact shiny chrome, but it does give a good idea of what blacked out trim would look like.

White on white has always been my preferred configuration. I showed it to DW right now and she gives it two thumbs up. The stars are aligning!

The odd thing I noticed in the photo above is that the side mirrors are only retracted about 3/4 of the way. I want then to retract parallel to the side of the car.

I can't get over how much the model 3 looks like a roadster from the front angles. It's incredible how they're keeping the original lines.

Now that I have seen a few on the road (last one was silver with 19" rims coming from Half Moon Bay and before that black with 19" rims going towards San Francisco) I agree the best feature of the car is the front angle. I was afraid of the "duck bill" look, but it looks absolutely stunning in the flesh and reminds me what could be a nexgen Porsche. But how can I add a front license plate without killing the look?

The immediate spill test is interesting, noting the protective seat cushion covers, but they are only removing granular material sitting on the surface or an immediate spill. What I would want to see they did not show. How are the front seat cushions holding up and how easily can the gradual dirt/color transfer clean up after the weight and pressure of the back of pants, etc., grinding into the surface over time? In my wife's last MB, the seat back and even door trim arm rest took on a reddish hue....sure enough she had bought a new red leather jacket and worn it in the car for quite a while...never could get the red out from the tan leather on the seat or vinyl inserts on the doors again.

They haven't mentioned any other new interior colors other than white. If you want a light color but don't want your jeans to dye it then buy a bottle of some liquid coating to apply to the seats and protect them.

To my eye, that is a white dash just like on the Alpha car. A brushed aluminum dash will be available in aftermarket.

Good point, I forgot about the alpha having the white dash. The photo I pointed about above does look like aluminum to me but on that other angle it does look like plastic. My confidence level of aluminum is not as strong now. I guess a day photo can confirm.
IMG_1026.PNG