Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who else is disappointed about the base model 3 batterie. 50 kWh/ 220miles

please only vote if you are or were considering the base model m3!!!

• Disappointed about the base model range -getting the bigger batterie version M3 because of it

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Not disappointed about the range at all. It's all I need. Done deal and happy days

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Disappointed about the range but I don't want to pay $9000 more for the bigger batterie.

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • Cancel order

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AustinPowers
It's good that you are thinking about range and the various factors that affect the actual range. As others mentioned, sitting in traffic uses little energy, it's not like a laptop where the battery is draining quite heavily just sitting and being unused. Usually you use less kWh since you are driving slower.

If you driving 220 miles in one day say 100miles each way then using heater/ac over that range is minimal. AC/Heater usage is much higher when you use it cool/heat the cabin for a short trip say 5 miles, let the car heat/cold soak and the use the AC/Heater on your 5 mile trip home.

If you have range anxiety and don't want to pay for the upgrade, find a charging station or supercharger on your way to/from. If you don't want to charge due to inconvenience then maybe the car is not right for you.

The $9,000 battery upgrade for an extra 25kWh's costs $23,000 for the same capacity upgrade on the Model S 75kWh to 100kWh.

I'm not disappointed by it. I'll admit a 55kWh battery with 230-240 mile range would've sounded cooler... but made little practical difference.

And a 25kWh larger battery for only $9,000 is a steal compared to what the S/X costs.

Model-3-Features.jpg

Reactions: cdub
I'm a bit disappointed that tesla can not beat the 60kwh Gm bolt which is probably much superior in the city and much cheaper after there $5000 haggling discount.

With 400k on the waiting list it's not like you have to decide NOW!

Early owners are going to post their experiences; auto-journalists are going to publish the usual head-to-heads and top-fives.

If you're using words like "probably" then my advice would be - don't be disappointed, particularly when comparing any manufacturers' published figures - they are always rosy - instead wait for some real-world testing and owner feedback, in a variety of seasons/driving conditions.

Last edited:
Considering:
1- it's recommended you only charge the batterie for 85-90 % to increase life
2- Radio on with aircon/ heater cause considerable less range.
3- 220miles based on only the driver not the whole family and luggage.
4- 220miles based on a lot of highway driving and taking advantage of the m3 good C.O of 23 which is less effective in city driving.
5-220miles based on not having a heavy foot and always only gradually getting up to speed.
6- -20 to 30 miles to save you range anxiety.
7 - cold weather range loss
8 - tyres not pumped up to optimal pressure
9 - 1 off 5 miles loss from max new range after a month or 2
Great points. All pertinent for those who don't stick their fingers in their ears.

I am disappointed because the base model range didn't surpass the Bolt.
Musk's tweet was misleading - the context of the question was clear

Well the tweet was

"...Please tell me the Model 3 offers more range than the Chevy Bolt."

And Elon's response was

"Oh so little faith"

The questioner didn't specify the "base model" only would Tesla offer a Model 3 with more range than the Bolt. People foreshadowed their want into a fact that the base would offer more than the bolt.

If the question was crystal clear, it would need to specify which Model 3 pack.

• Informative
The Bolt has about 10% more usable kWh and a highway MPGe about 9% lower than the Model 3. That is for EPA; at higher speeds like most people drive in the US the Bolt gets beaten badly ... and that is before the Model 3 pulls into a SC while the Bolt ... well, I don't know what the Bolt will do. In my part of the country it will wait for a tow truck.

Comparing a Model 3 to a Bolt is like comparing a road runner to a donkey. The latter is pretty good at bringing stuff from the market, but keep it off the highway

upload_2017-8-8_23-53-5.png
Screenshot 2017-08-09 at 12.36.27 AM.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EinSV
Well the tweet was

"...Please tell me the Model 3 offers more range than the Chevy Bolt."

And Elon's response was

"Oh so little faith"

The questioner didn't specify the "base model" only would Tesla offer a Model 3 with more range than the Bolt. People foreshadowed their want into a fact that the base would offer more than the bolt.

If the question was crystal clear, it would need to specify which Model 3 pack.
So are you saying the base model is no a model 3 which also happens to be the more likely comparison between the 2 model 3 versions because of price. When he says that Elons response is misleading I 100 % agree it was because the base model is s model 3 and Elon knew it had a inferior range.

"offers more range"

I think the word offer is telling here. Wishful thinking aside, offer means is available. So the Model 3 offers a lot more range than a Bolt. Now you do have to pay for it so there is that.

But let us be clear. The Bolt is more expensive, has no access to supercharging, is a bit less attractive, is slower, doesn't handle as well (predicted based on common sense and Motor Trend), is a GM, .... oh I forgot where I was going with this.

While I get that some expected the 3 to be cheaper and also better than the Bolt in every way, it certainly doesn't have to be to sell in orders of magnitude more than the Bolt.

Musk's tweet was misleading - the context of the question was clear
Hi. I'm not sure Musk mislead on the range. He answered that the Model 3 would be *offered* with more range than the Bolt, and it is.

More importantly, the Tesla comes with the single, most range-obviating feature of any electric vehicle currently offered: a cohesive, reliable, widely available charger network. So what if your base Model 3 can only travel 220 miles between charge? There will be a Supercharger available for you before you hit that mark. The real question should be: can you and everyone in your family trip hold it for 220 miles without needing to go? At 65 MPH, that's over 3 hours of driving.

• Love
Reactions: cdub and SageBrush
Who else is disappointed about the base model 3 battery?

"Not I," said the Karen.​

Slotted in right around what I expected. And that's great gnus for me. With our low speed limit that will be a huge amount of drive time.

a cohesive, reliable, widely available charger network

Disclaimer: Some restrictions may apply. Offer void in Alaska, Hawaii, most of Canada, Iceland, eastern and southwestern Europe, most of Asia, most of Australia, most of the Middle East, most of Central America, and all of South America and Africa. The degree to which your experience will be "super" or involve "charging" is subject to availability. Tesla Inc. takes no responsibility for people mistaking the sound of your vehicle charging for an airplane taxiing for takeoff. Do not attempt to eat Supercharger connectors. Cutting into and attempting to eat Supercharger connectors can result in instant death and/or loss of supercharging privileges. Do not taunt supercharger. Tesla Inc. reminds you that the Supercharger will never threaten to stab you with its connector and, in fact, cannot speak. In the event that the Supercharger does speak, Tesla Inc. urges you to disregard its advice.

Last edited:
Disappointed is probably not the right word but the way it is, if we want to spend about 5k towards range increase, there really is no middle option. In the UK, there is a "luxury tax" being imposed on any car costing 40k or more and quite certain the bigger battery will hit it - that or if we get the bigger battery, very little chance of getting any other feature without hitting the tax threshold.

I'm disappointed because I really need 200 winter miles, and I agree that Elon's tweet strongly implied that hte base car would meet or beat the Bolt's. I get that 44k for the 310 miles Model 3 is good value compared to a Model S, but I'm not someone for whom the Model S was a realistic purchase, so that's a moot point. My point of comparison is the Bolt, not S. I'm in a bit of a Goldilocks situation, 220 miles is too small, and $9000 for 90 miles is a lot of extra cash for me; I'd be much happier if the longer range version had been $5000 for 50 miles.

That and the slow supercharging rate for the base Model 3, which I don't think any of us expected would be that low. I have a few large road trips planned for after I get my Model 3, several thousand miles, and the combination of more stops and significantly longer stops would mean a lot more time waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: lukex4 and Jayc