Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who else is disappointed about the base model 3 batterie. 50 kWh/ 220miles

please only vote if you are or were considering the base model m3!!!

• Disappointed about the base model range -getting the bigger batterie version M3 because of it

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Not disappointed about the range at all. It's all I need. Done deal and happy days

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Disappointed about the range but I don't want to pay $9000 more for the bigger batterie.

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • Cancel order

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be clear, it was reported that he said "just over 50 kWh". Not sure why people are interpreting that as "= 50 kWh".

Regardless, it's the 220 mile number that matters more than the number of kWh's.

I had hoped they'd match or beat the Bolt's 238 miles, and I think the $9k is a bit steep for the upgrade. So, yeah, I'm a bit disappointed. But they didn't miss their original 215+ mile range or $35k base price targets/promises, so I can't complain too much.
You are exactly right.

People care about distance not size. I believe the facts that Tesla stated about the model 3. The science of it can remain a secret of Tesla for all I care.

EVs always get better city mileage than highway mileage, regardless of air drag, because of regen. This phenomenon occurs in hybrids as well. For fossil cars, stopping is purely throwing energy away, while Teslas can recoup some of that energy and use it again later.

Honestly, I'm disappointed CAD isn't closer to USD, because if that were the case I could almost stretch for the big battery. But after I talked myself into realizing that 340 km on a charge is nothing to sneeze at, I'm happier with the base model. Seriously, how often do you need that full charge? As others have said, for the times you need more -- stop and plug in. That way you've saved your pocketbook a ton.

I think the base model is perfectly fine. Not great, but fine. We're going to be a two-3s family, so we'll have one $35k base model for around town and occasional trips and one initial-production LR for road tripping. Best of both worlds.

Considering:
1- it's recommended you only charge the batterie for 85-90 % to increase life
It is only recommended not to let your batteries sit at 100% for long periods, there is nothing wrong with charging to 100% and driving fairly soon after it is done charging.
4- 220miles based on a lot of highway driving and taking advantage of the m3 good C.O of 23 which is less effective in city driving.
The range is based on the EPA test cycles which use a mix of high (highway) and low (city) speed driving.
5-220miles based on not having a heavy foot and always only gradually getting up to speed.
6- -20 to 30 miles to save you range anxiety.
If you have that much range anxiety, perhaps you shouldn't be driving with such a heavy foot.
7 - cold weather range loss
From what I understand, someone correct me where I go wrong, cold weather range loss is from two main things, running the heater, which you already mentioned and from the battery not being warmed up. You can alleviate that by preconditioning the battery before driving. In fact, from point number 1, charge to 100% right before you leave and the battery will be all warmed up for you, you can even preheat the interior while it's plugged in and save running the heater that much more.
8 - tyres not pumped up to optimal pressure
Improper upkeep of your car is your own problem.
9 - 1 off 5 miles loss from max new range after a month or 2
From everything I've read most people experience a drop of 2% - 4% over the first year or two, not the first two months.

I'm a bit disappointed that tesla can not beat the 60kwh Gm bolt which is probably much superior in the city and much cheaper after there $5000 haggling discount.
If range is your primary concern then perhaps the model 3 isn't the car for you. No car is right for everyone, if this one really won't do it for you, or you have that much range anxiety, then either get the larger battery, a different car, or wait for one the meets your needs.

Here's one way to think about it. The Model 3 standard range will drive at least 150 miles in pretty much all circumstances. Figure out how many days a year do you drive further than 150 miles. You can then extrapolate how many times over the course of ownership you would want extra range and calculate how much per long trip you will be paying to get the longer range car.

From what I understand, someone correct me where I go wrong, cold weather range loss is from two main things, running the heater, which you already mentioned and from the battery not being warmed up.

There's more to it than that.
  • Colder air is denser, which means greater aerodynamic drag losses.
  • Cold tires means stiffer rubber, which contributes to increased rolling resistance. (And so would lower tire pressures if you don't add air when temperatures drop.)
  • Even cold lubricants will have higher viscosities and add some (minor) friction to the drivetrain

• Informative
Reactions: dsvick
We were promised a 200+ mile range base model for US$35k.. thats what Tesla is delivering (eventually). What is there to be disappointed about? It was never going to do 200miles up a mountain in a blizzard with a horse trailer on the back.

Sorry, I'm with the OP on this one. Elon was very specific about the 3's horse-towing capabilities, and I expect him to deliver.

Elon twitter.png

Nope, it is based on the EPA testing procedures.

What is a C.O? and 23?

Why wouldn't you keep your ti(y)res properly inflated?

Thank you kindly.

Which includes city driving, highway driving, high speed driving, cold weather condition driving, and driving with air conditioning active.

It's like comparing fuel tank sizes for ICE cars and assuming the one with a larger tank has more range without taking into consideration the fuel efficency of the respective vehicles. 215 miles was what was announced March 31, 2016 for the base model. If there was concern about this not being enough, shouldn't you have canceled long before now? There was no bait and switch or anything underhanded; indeed, we're getting 5 more miles than originally promised. Frankly, I don't care if they're using two Duracell AA batteries to give me that range.

Reactions: strykeroz
I don't like the choices in this poll. I'm not "disappointed" at all. The 220mi is exactly what I figured it'd be. And remember that 220 is probably only if you get the weirdmobile aero wheels. Other type wheels I'm sure will drop the 220 to what, 210, 205? Meh.

I always figured we'd do the long range version. And face it, in 2 years, the battery choices for the 3 will probably evolve to 60 and 85, with longer ranges for both, so... it's all fine imho