Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is waiting on the 2024 changes to order a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m open to the Turbo S but:

1) I like that the Tesla blends in and doesn’t stand out like the Porsche. Not interested in drawing attention to the car
2) supercharging access is a must and I don’t want to wait until 2025/2026
3) I’ve grown accustomed to things like sentry mode cameras, the simple UI, having a fully functioning browser, dog mode etc. This tech works 100% of the time. I can’t have nonsense like “dog mode won’t turn on bc app needs update and app isn’t connected to right server for download so please…” blah blah bullshit I’ve experienced with every other brands’ tech. Everything I use in the Tesla - besides autopilot :) - just works all the time. May not be perfect but it works.

Tesla quality is crap and service is crap. But performance and tech are so far ahead of everyone else in my experience. Perhaps this has changed since I last looked at a Taycan?

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
I want EVERYTHING...I want it NOW... and I want it FREE...

Tesla has a policy of continous improvemtent, where they release inprovements and updates on a daily basis. This is what you get when you take delivery. Of course, everyone wants to get upcoming things today, but that cannot happen.

I have owned tons of fast sports cars. The one thing that stands out to me is not which gives the best possible times at a drag strip, but how quickly they respond to throttle imputs on the street. Tesla provides instantaneous torque with a tip of the toe. ICE cars need to grab a lower gear, wait for the engine to respond and also wait for the engine to get into it's optium power band. Turbos are even worse, as you need to wait a moment for the turbos to spool up. High reving motors need to climb up the tach before the real power comes on. No ICE car has the perfect throttle response that comes easily in a Tesla.

I am on my 3rd Model X (Accountants orders :) While they all have had similar looks, the essence of those cars has steadily improved, and each has provided a better ownership experience than the previous. They have gotten faster, better handling, quieter, quicker charging, longer range, more comfortable, better sound system, lighting and electronics has improved. Even the styling has changed subtly. Works for me.

I just had a one hour test drive of a brand new LR (built 2/24). We had two 2015 Model S’s and this one hardly felt like the same car. Not a single rattle or creak, decent materials on the inside, and a much nicer ride. It is a huge improvement.

I was very close to ordering a Lucid Air Touring but will likely end up with a Plaid. Tesla just does a great job with the software and has such a head start in that area. I also really prefer the hatchback instead of a trunk. Plus there is a Tesla store in my hometown. The closest Lucid service center is 50 miles away in Beverly Hills. Check that - it is 50 miles that includes the perpetually clogged 405.

BTW - the horn is where it is supposed to be and the steering wheel buttons had prominent haptic feedback. In a couple more hours of driving I think I will not miss the stalks.

I just had a one hour test drive of a brand new LR (built 2/24). We had two 2015 Model S’s and this one hardly felt like the same car. Not a single rattle or creak, decent materials on the inside, and a much nicer ride. It is a huge improvement.

I was very close to ordering a Lucid Air Touring but will likely end up with a Plaid. Tesla just does a great job with the software and has such a head start in that area. I also really prefer the hatchback instead of a trunk. Plus there is a Tesla store in my hometown. The closest Lucid service center is 50 miles away in Beverly Hills. Check that - it is 50 miles that includes the perpetually clogged 405.

BTW - the horn is where it is supposed to be and the steering wheel buttons had prominent haptic feedback. In a couple more hours of driving I think I will not miss the stalks.
I haven't sat in a 2024 yet, but if it's like the 2024 Model 3 refresh, the haptics are fantastic on it. The yoke looks the same (minus the new horn/camera button), so it doesn't look like the haptics would be any different...

I'm on an overnight with a 24 LR, and it is nice to have the horn in the proper position. I know my butt is not getting bigger, but I swear that the seats in the 24 are skinnier than the used 23 I drove a couple of weeks ago. The car is easier to control with the steering wheel - downside is that it obscures part of the dashboard view as it was designed for a yoke.

No it doesn't. :D They're WAY better than the Model S/X , which is why you might think they're physical buttons, but they are not.

They're not haptic. Their membrane but they have physical clickers underneath. I happen to think the haptic on the S/X is excellent. Always felt like clickers to me.

"Tesla moved from haptics to physical buttons on this new steering wheel, which was an interesting touch. It only took me about three or four turns, or roughly ten minutes, to realize I needed to stop reaching for stalks. I feel like the buttons are super convenient, but there were times I would push the edges or corners, and the signal would not come on."

Reactions: phantasms
They're not haptic. Their membrane but they have physical clickers underneath. I happen to think the haptic on the S/X is excellent. Always felt like clickers to me.

"Tesla moved from haptics to physical buttons on this new steering wheel, which was an interesting touch. It only took me about three or four turns, or roughly ten minutes, to realize I needed to stop reaching for stalks. I feel like the buttons are super convenient, but there were times I would push the edges or corners, and the signal would not come on."

“The new Tesla 3 steering wheel adds buttons with haptic feedback instead of only having two scroll-wheels as its physical control inputs.”