Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who uses the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus'?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put these tires on my car about 2000 miles ago (roughly when it started getting cold) and I've noticed that my energy consumption at 80MPH has increased by about 40wh/mile. I've ensured the tires are at the proper pressure, and even on warmer (70f) days I don't seem to be getting the same range I was with my Primacy's.

While it's not the end of the world, and is definitely worth it for the better performance in winter conditions, I'm just curious if others have seen a similar increase in energy consumption.

I tested the kWh consumption of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus with about 60% tread with the OEM Michelin Primacies with about 15% tread left last summer on my P85. I ran the same 90 mile roundtrip on I-10 at night, so I didn't have to use the AC. I chose summer nights that had only crosswinds less than 3mph with the same ambient temperatures. I attempted to drive at the same speed, 69 mph, although this was complicated by the difference in the tire radii between the Pirellis and the worn Michelins. The results suggested that the Pirelli tires used about 1.5-2% less kWh/mile. However, this is less than the 3% energy use difference between driving at 69 vs 68 mph. So, I concluded that the kWh/mile usage of the Cinturatos and Primacies tires was close. But unless I had used the same wheel style with both tires, I had tested tires with the same tread depth, and I had controlled the test speed better, I couldn't really conclude which tire is more energy efficient.

I do agree with others that the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires are very easy to spin on a RWD P85.

I have a set on my 19" cyclones and I love them, but my car is a D, so there's no traction issue. I find they are lasting MUCH longer than the primacies, are significantly quieter and the energy consumption over 10k miles didn't move much.
I did install 21" arachnids so the 19"'s are in storage, so my consumption values are all skewed. I cannot give you hard numbers, but if there's a difference, it's negligible.

I tested the kWh consumption of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus with about 60% tread with the OEM Michelin Primacies with about 15% tread left last summer on my P85. I ran the same 90 mile roundtrip on I-10 at night, so I didn't have to use the AC. I chose summer nights that had only crosswinds less than 3mph with the same ambient temperatures. I attempted to drive at the same speed, 69 mph, although this was complicated by the difference in the tire radii between the Pirellis and the worn Michelins. The results suggested that the Pirelli tires used about 1.5-2% less kWh/mile. However, this is less than the 3% energy use difference between driving at 69 vs 68 mph. So, I concluded that the kWh/mile usage of the Cinturatos and Primacies tires was close. But unless I had used the same wheel style with both tires, I had tested tires with the same tread depth, and I had controlled the test speed better, I couldn't really conclude which tire is more energy efficient.

I do agree with others that the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus tires are very easy to spin on a RWD P85.

The tires are easier to spin, but i'll take it for the treadlife and for the better snow performance.

I haven't had any cases nearly that consistent... My drives happen over several hours (sometimes up to 14 hours in one day), so I don't have any consistency at all in my drives... I can leave on a sunny day with no wind and then arrive at my destination with 25MPH crosswinds and sleet falling on me.. (True story)

I have a set on my 19" cyclones and I love them, but my car is a D, so there's no traction issue. I find they are lasting MUCH longer than the primacies, are significantly quieter and the energy consumption over 10k miles didn't move much.
I did install 21" arachnids so the 19"'s are in storage, so my consumption values are all skewed. I cannot give you hard numbers, but if there's a difference, it's negligible.

I'm glad to hear that the difference is more than likely just caused by colder weather, as I wasn't looking forwards to 50K miles with crappy range...

After putting 15k+ miles on these, the major difference I see is you need D series. The RDW, it would feel a bit floaty on the handling. With D series, it is a bit better.

Though, I do agree the Michelin tires seem to hug the road more, but also the noise reduction ain't as good and a tad more pricer from comparing last time.

I have had them once on my car. They did no last longer than the MXM 4 from Michelin which I hoped. Energy consumption wasn't any different as far as I could tell. I didn't like the ride much. The Michelin MXM4 are still the best tires I have had on my Model S.

For those who have had the Cinturatos - would you mind sharing the cold PSI you've used for them? I see a 49PSI above - which is interesting. Was going to go with 45PSI but am willing to be persuaded otherwise.

There will a set of these waiting for me tomorrow, freight willing.

For those who have had the Cinturatos - would you mind sharing the cold PSI you've used for them? I see a 49PSI above - which is interesting. Was going to go with 45PSI but am willing to be persuaded otherwise.

There will a set of these waiting for me tomorrow, freight willing.
Yeah, as you saw above 49psi in my case, and wear is very even across the tread on all 4 corners. FYI, it's and 85D they are on.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I've had several Pirelli tire variants on a few vehicles, and they have all SUCKED. Terrible traction and terrible treadlife. I will never buy Pirelli tires. Tirerack's testing also showed these tires to be very middle-of-the-road performance wise vs other high-end counterparts. I went with the Conit DWS 06 as it has the best snow traction. If you don't get much snow, you're better served by the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

I've had several Pirelli tire variants on a few vehicles, and they have all SUCKED. Terrible traction and terrible treadlife. I will never buy Pirelli tires. Tirerack's testing also showed these tires to be very middle-of-the-road performance wise vs other high-end counterparts. I went with the Conit DWS 06 as it has the best snow traction. If you don't get much snow, you're better served by the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
Very different experience. I put about 65000 on these tires and are just getting ready to replace them. They have worn evenly, gotten me through a few winters, and are relatively quiet.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Very different experience. I put about 65000 on these tires and are just getting ready to replace them. They have worn evenly, gotten me through a few winters, and are relatively quiet.

That’s great to hear, having just replaced the miserable Goodyear Touring OEMs, after barely 26K miles, with the Cinturatos. The tire shop said these were the only Pirellis they would not not recommend (yes, that) for tire longevity and even so offered the caveat that the only way Pirelli would honor their 70K warranty was if exactly even shoulder to shoulder wear *at the wear bars*.

I figure if I get even the 53K that I did get (or the 60K miles that I could have gotten) out of the Michelin OEMs that came with the last car *and* that they are quieter, it will be a win.

As an aside, the GETs wore poorly. That was barely 1 year of driving for that 26K miles. Note this picture of the right rear. Not good. Especially since the car was aligned by Tesla barely 6 months ago after half-shaft replacements.

Otherwise the wear was consistently down to an average of 2/32” all around.

04100CB8-333A-4D7C-816E-E2DC7F72F645.jpeg

Wow that's a horrible wear pattern. Even though you just had the alignment done it still appears something is wrong. Mine have worn completely evenly inside to out and all four have worn evenly.

That’s great to hear, having just replaced the miserable Goodyear Touring OEMs, after barely 26K miles, with the Cinturatos. The tire shop said these were the only Pirellis they would not not recommend (yes, that) for tire longevity and even so offered the caveat that the only way Pirelli would honor their 70K warranty was if exactly even shoulder to shoulder wear *at the wear bars*.

I figure if I get even the 53K that I did get (or the 60K miles that I could have gotten) out of the Michelin OEMs that came with the last car *and* that they are quieter, it will be a win.

As an aside, the GETs wore poorly. That was barely 1 year of driving for that 26K miles. Note this picture of the right rear. Not good. Especially since the car was aligned by Tesla barely 6 months ago after half-shaft replacements.

Otherwise the wear was consistently down to an average of 2/32” all around.

View attachment 299522

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc

After reading this I had to give some input on the last set of tires I owned: Pirelli all season plus. They were phenomenally better than the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas that came on the car I just traded in for the Tesla: An Infiniti QX50. This is more about the Turanzas were horrible, then the Pirelli's were awesome, and I can't compare them to the Primacies, but the handling characteristics of Pirellis
were so much better it completely transformed the car. I can't comment on treadlife or snow behaviour as I traded in the car with only about 1000 km on the tires, but I wish I could take them off and put them on the Tesla instead of the Goodyears as they were the exact same size: 245/45/19. I don't have an issue with the Goodyears, they seem fine so far, but I did like the Pirelli all season plus'.

I do notice the Michelin MXM4 and these Pirellis have the exact same rating on Tirerack; 4/5 stars. The Pirellis are $185 vs. $204 for the MXM4's. But I think I would go with the Michelin's next time; but MXM4 or the AS/3+'s?

About 10K on mines. If you have a D, definitely get it over the OEM. Much better ride, noise, and tread life. The only time I get spins is on wet roads under full acceleration on relatively slippery concrete. Noise was good when new then got a bit noisier after 5K miles but now settling and quieter than new. Cant say yet on wear because I have yet to rotate them and if they wear evenly might not rotate at all. Fronts are wearing just slightly more than rear but pretty close all in all.

You wont be disappointed in the performance both in winter and summer. Will be taking it on snow this winter.

I have mine at the recommended 45 cold psi, but usually I pump up to 47 cold on all fours and then once it hit 44, I pump up again to 47 again.