Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants to purchase VIN#209? Only $150k!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or the seller or a close family member has just lost everything in one of the ongoing NorCal fires and they need the money to rebuild.
Or the seller or a close family member has been diagnosed with a rare and expensive illness and they need the money for treatment.
Or the seller or a close family member has suddenly had to take over care of an elderly or incapacitated parent or grandparent.

I'm sure there are other potential reasons. Personally I don't really care why they're selling it, nor is it any of my business. He might even have gotten permission from Tesla to break an agreement due to extenuating circumstances; we have no way to know. If he violated a contract with Tesla, then that's between him and Tesla and the chips can fall where they may. I assume neither the best nor the worst. An assessment of the facts available to us - which is virtually nothing - can generate no honest conclusion other than 'we don't know'. Anything else is emotionally-generated conjecture.

It's the asking price that indicates greed as the motive here, not the mere fact that it's for sale. I would fully expect to pay over list price to buy a Model 3 today, but this is ridiculous, regardless of the personal circumsrances of the seller. No charity or other desperate cause was mentioned. If you really want to sell something for a ridiculous sum of money, it needs some justification other than a "unique circumstance", which is pretty meaningless.

Reactions: dhrivnak
It's the asking price that indicates greed as the motive here, not the mere fact that it's for sale. I would fully expect to pay over list price to buy a Model 3 today, but this is ridiculous, regardless of the personal circumsrances of the seller. No charity or other desperate cause was mentioned. If you really want to sell something for a ridiculous sum of money, it needs some justification other than a "unique circumstance", which is pretty meaningless.

I see no reason why he should air his personal business to the world on Craigslist just for the sake of the curious; I wouldn't want to do that, either. If a potential buyer cares they can ask, but I doubt they would. I don't think any justification is needed at all. If someone wants to pay that much for it, then he has not priced it too high. This isn't a drug that someone needs for their health, or some other necessity of life. It's a luxury good. In fact the super-high price might be good to keep it out of the hands of random rich guy and make it more likely to be purchased by Tesla's competitors, who can afford it. Maybe help them get off their butts and actually compete.

I see no reason why he should air his personal business to the world on Craigslist just for the sake of the curious; I wouldn't want to do that, either. If a potential buyer cares they can ask, but I doubt they would. I don't think any justification is needed at all. If someone wants to pay that much for it, then he has not priced it too high. This isn't a drug that someone needs for their health, or some other necessity of life. It's a luxury good. In fact the super-high price might be good to keep it out of the hands of random rich guy and make it more likely to be purchased by Tesla's competitors, who can afford it. Maybe help them get off their butts and actually compete.

None of this makes the asking price seem any less ridiculous/greedy to me. I'd put good money on this being a highly dubious punt by a Tesla employee. Whether it sold or not (I believe the add soon got pulled) is irrelevant to the motive behind the sale. "Unique circumstance" smells of BS to me all the same.

Rents are expensive here on the peninsula......

......just sayin'

Pardon the tangent:
My friend said to me once while debating the purchase of a sports car vs saving for a house: "You can live in your car, but you can't drive your house to work."

I do wonder, when FSD or level 4 comes out, what number of people will live in vehicles that just keep circling the highways all night?
Likewise, what will be the reduction in hotel usage at locations between main destinations?
Traffic shift to night in general.

Hot rod term for unavailable spares. Hence why you can't seem to find unobtainium anywhere to build the parts from.

It dates back to the 50's, an aerospace term originally (in as much as slang like this can have a determined origin). It's been used in the tech world for ages. Never heard it in terms of hot rods but then I don't run in those circles so I suppose I wouldn't have, heh.

Lets see:
About 4 to 5 hundred Model 3's delivered by now.
They seem to be going for about 150 K.
200 to 500 employee's are fired.
GREED is a powerful motivator.
Sell price is not going price. I don't think we know what the going rate of a Model 3 is today.

I can post the left overs of my lunch on Craigslist for $1.7M, but that doesn't mean that I'll even get $1.70 for it.