Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who will be the first non-Tesla owner to take delivery?

First delivery estimate for Bay Area line-waiters who don't already own a Tesla

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The previous dates I posted were based on scenario 1. However, this page says the $35K version will be available in November. I thought this was a way to encourage people to select the larger battery but maybe the smaller battery is not available in October even for employees. In that case, we would see scenario 2. I could calculate the dates for that scenario as well but I would have to guess when exactly in November the smaller battery would be available.

The dates I posted above are based on this sequence (scenario 1)
  1. California, Employee, Model 3 75 (starts on 28 July)
  2. California, Employee, Model 3 55
  3. California, Owner, Model 3 75 (starts on 22 Oct)
  4. California, Owner, Model 3 55
  5. California, Non-owner, Model 3 75 (starts on 10 Nov)
  6. California, Non-owner, Model 3 55
However, it could happen like this (scenario 2):
  1. California, Employee, Model 3 75
  2. California, Owner, Model 3 75
  3. California, Non-owner, Model 3 75 (a small portion will be delivered until the 55 kWh is available in Nov)
  4. California, Employee, Model 3 55
  5. California, Owner, Model 3 55
  6. California, Non-owner, Model 3 55 and 75

My guess is they ordered in another country where the time difference made it way before March 31 and live in California.
I guess I should have gone on my European vacation a couple of months earlier last year and made my reservation while over there. :D Then, again, I went to the UK, so had I reserved there, it may have left me worse off due to it being an RWD locale. :eek: Guess I should just be happy with the dates I got. :)

Last edited:
As long as I get the tax credit, I'm good. I'm not a current owner so I'll never have bragging rights anyways. I'm in no particular rush. The car I'm replacing is a Toyota Motor Co. product made in Japan so I'm sure it'll last til 300,000 miles at least and I barely cracked 100k on it. Still, with all that new tech and safety, it would be nice to have a new car.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Doesn't OP have chart wrong? Where's 2018? It goes from Dec 2017 to Jan 2017.

Sorry, this post is titled "Who will be the first non-Tesla owner to take delivery?"

Perhaps someone should start a poll asking when will YOUR Tesla be delivered. I was mostly curious when first timers were going to be able to get their M3, my chart seems to be centered on the bell curve.

-Randy

That is interesting. I think you are the first non-owner that I have heard about that got October instead of November.

I got Oct-Dec for long range, Jan-Mar for short range and Jul-Sep for AWD based on being a non-owner. I'm a California resident and reserved in CO store at 10:10 AM MST, which is equivalent to 9:10 AM PST. I wonder if reserving in an earlier time zone put me ahead of other CA residents who stood in line in CA. Also, I acquired my first Tesla a few days ago through private sale but the car hasn't been added to My Tesla account yet. Hopefully they'll bump me up a bit after the car gets added.

I got Oct-Dec for long range, Jan-Mar for short range and Jul-Sep for AWD based on being a non-owner. I'm a California resident and reserved in CO store at 10:10 AM MST, which is equivalent to 9:10 AM PST. I wonder if reserving in an earlier time zone put me ahead of other CA residents who stood in line in CA. Also, I acquired my first Tesla a few days ago through private sale but the car hasn't been added to My Tesla account yet. Hopefully they'll bump me up a bit after the car gets added.

I suspect you are already close to the front. Adding a Tesla to your account may not make much difference at this point.

I thought being in California was going to get me delivered sooner, but it is looking like people more east got ahead due to the timezone difference.

I think the answers in the poll showing October are:

1) Some owners who missed the NON-owner part of the question (I know at least two have posted, maybe they answered the poll)
2) Non-owners in CA who reserved before CA stores opened because they were traveling. Like @EricUSC (9AM PST) and myself (1AM PST)

I think having the rez before CA stores opened is pushing us forward into the tail end of the owners queue. My guess is there were so many orders going in right at 10AM PST that the system automatically batched all orders before that separately, as the queuing on the servers must have been very busy at 10AM PST - and the ones batched in earlier went with the owners orders. But I'm no IT expert that's just my guess...