Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a year and 16,000 miles with the yoke, I can say that it is definitely more comfortable and efficient.
On straightaways, I can rest my palms on the bottom; when turning the corners are easier to grab than a wheel.
4000 km's with the Yoke, and it still feels odd when turning. However, I do agree with resting your palm on the bottom when on Autopilot is nice. In my honest opinion I think Yoke has been designed for US roads.

The "wheel" looks strait from play-school. The wheel in my 2019X is much better. Someone needs to fit that.

I'll reserve judgement since the wheel in my '20 X never looks great in photos but always does in person. I agree with you though - if I could just take the entire steering column from the X, clone it and put it into the S, I'd be thrilled.

Sorry, I disagree. In my 14,000 miles, I find the Yoke much more ergonomic for me. Since the bottom left and right now have a slight "corner" it makes it more comfortable while keeping the hand on the wheel to satisfy the FSD nag. Initially is seemed awkward, but once I developed new muscle memory, I like it much better.
I did not feel this way in the beginning. My 50 years of a round wheel made the yoke so unfamiliar.
I am a convert, and really love the yoke.
I would bet if it was analyzed ergonomically and bio mechanically, yoke would win…..just my opinion.

After a year and 16,000 miles with the yoke, I can say that it is definitely more comfortable and efficient.
On straightaways, I can rest my palms on the bottom; when turning the corners are easier to grab than a wheel.

After almost 70k miles on the yoke, I would do it again. But, it is nice of Tesla to offer an option for those that cannot.

How about a "No, I already changed to a different wheel" option? :)

I stopped by and checked out the new S/X wheel to see what it was like. I had some questions that I was curious about:
  • Does the entire wheel heat up (my aftermarket just does the non-carbon fiber parts on the sides)? It felt like the sides heated up first, and then maybe the top/bottom eventually heats up, too?
  • Is the horn still....unfortunately placed? Yup.
  • How does it compare to the 3/Y wheel? The wheel in those instantly feels great to me...This one, seemed a bit wider, thinner, and more rubbery.
I already knew that the stalks still wouldn't be available, a design decision that--to me--prevents this car from being as good as it could be. That said, I'd be interested to see how many more people buy the new S/X now that it has a wheel. I'm curious if the lack of stalks and the capacitance turn signals/horn/wiper/light controls on the yoke/wheel will upset them now, since it's a lot less obvious but just as fundamental design change as the yoke (and even more painful to deal with for some).

Though I like that we can now get an OEM wheel, I think I'm gonna stick with my current aftermarket wheel for now...It's a bit chunkier and the carbon fiber/leather combo on it actually better match the car's interior. If the new wheel felt like the 3/Y, or moved the horn (or, of course, included a stalk column retrofit), I would probably get it.

IMG_8845.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickos and Dayreg
I am ready for the round wheel! It's March, but still can't get it though. Anyone hear when?
Last I heard March still has 19 days to go. Now if we get to April, they would be late! Then again, Tesla only needs to install one in the next 19 days - Tesla never said everyone that wanted it would get it in March. Still, there is hope some will get it soon and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones.

• Funny
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
That looks like a lot of blockage!

View attachment 916954
Nope. If you need to see the shifter just move your head. You won’t be going over a few miles an hour. If it becomes an issue for me I’ll put the yoke back on. However I think I’d rather feel safe and comfortable driving on my mountain roads.But please, if you’re good with the yoke I certainly respect your choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickos and Murtaya
Nope. If you need to see the shifter just move your head. You won’t be going over a few miles an hour. If it becomes an issue for me I’ll put the yoke back on. However I think I’d rather feel safe and comfortable driving on my mountain roads.But please, if you’re good with the yoke I certainly respect your choice.
In that picture you feel the shifter is the main thing being blocked from view?

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
In that picture you feel the shifter is the main thing being blocked from view?
Yep, everything else I can see by moving my head a few inches. Screen blockage is really not an issue for me. Safe and reactive steering is what is more important. But, don’t get me wrong, the yoke is fun and cool looking. If I was trying to impress a date, I’d put it back on.

Last edited: