Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine installed today, mentioned it in the other thread,
20230329_094609.jpg

One thing I do with the yoke when watching full screen TV is move it out of the way so it doesn't cut off the bottom corner of the screen. It really bugs me if I don't do this with the yoke.

I am thinking I am really going to hate the round wheel blocking even more of the center screen with no way to solve it without sitting wrong in the seat.

Anyone with the wheel comment on this aspect?

2023-03-29 19.19.26.jpg
2023-03-29 19.14.20.jpg

One thing I do with the yoke when watching full screen TV is move it out of the way so it doesn't cut off the bottom corner of the screen. It really bugs me if I don't do this with the yoke.

I am thinking I am really going to hate the round wheel blocking even more of the center screen with no way to solve it without sitting wrong in the seat.

Anyone with the wheel comment on this aspect?

View attachment 922899View attachment 922900
Keep in mind the wheel diameter is less than the yoke. The yoke is wide.

I just asked the service center if my wheel has arrived yet and they told me no. They said they are backordered and taking these week by week as inventory arrives and demand very high (although I ordered before it said "out of stock" in the Tesla online store). So, it's possible that my Monday mobile service appointment may be canceled.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I'm fearing the same. What's chapping my rear is that not only did I order immediately after they became available, the store has since listed them as back in stock, yet my order still shows as "enroute to service center" in the store.

Got mine installed at SC yesterday. Was able to keep the yoke and control panel but they kept the airbag. Definitely think there is some liability concerns there on Tesla's part as to why they aren't giving them back to owners. Anyway, driving experience feels so much more natural now. Simple reassurance of the wheel gliding through your fingers during turns, quick maneuvers or parking I really missed. The wheel isn't as thick as pictures online seem tho. Thickness feel is somewhere between MS LR+ (pre-refresh) & M3/MY. The material is definitely different than the yoke. Yoke felt a tad more grippy as the wheel is a smoother texture. Also noticed they pushed a firmware update as the dash glyphs for auto steer and warnings have been updated to reflect steering wheel now. HVAC heating controls still show yoke however. (see attached)

IMG_2689.jpeg

Had to adjust seating position to regain some visibility of the dash and wish the bottom was a little more flat but otherwise very happy with the oem retrofit. IMO should have been the default offering from day 1 and the yoke optional like they're doing now.

On an unrelated note, the SC accidentally charged me for the swap even though already paid through Tesla Shop. Service tech said I ordered so early they didn't even have a SKU in the system the appointment was made in their system. They issued a refund same day but was still strange.

Last edited:
Got mine installed at SC yesterday. Was able to keep the yoke and control panel but they kept the airbag. Definitely think there is some liability concerns there on Tesla's part as to why they aren't giving them back to owners. Anyway, driving experience feels so much more natural now. Simple reassurance of the wheel gliding through your fingers during turns, quick maneuvers or parking I really missed. The wheel isn't as thick as pictures online seem tho. Thickness feel is somewhere between MS LR+ (pre-refresh) & M3/MY. The material is definitely different than the yoke. Yoke felt a tad more grippy as the wheel is a smoother texture. Also noticed they pushed a firmware update as the dash glyphs for auto steer and warnings have been updated to reflect steering wheel now. HVAC heating controls still show yoke however. (see attached)

View attachment 923126

Had to adjust seating position to regain some visibility of the dash and wish the bottom was a little more flat but otherwise very happy with the oem retrofit. IMO should have been the default offering from day 1 and the yoke optional like they're doing now.

On an unrelated note, the SC accidentally charged me for the swap even though already paid through Tesla Shop. Service tech said I ordered so early they didn't even have a SKU in the system the appointment was made in their system. They issued a refund same day but was still strange.
Thanks for the info--Interesting that the firmware changes the autopilot image but not the HVAC visuals, etc. Would have guessed all of that would have been behind the same logic switch.

I had all visuals including the HVAC visuals were updated to the wheel, including the AP nag which used to refer yoke, now it says wheel.

Interesting....sounds like the firmware update isn't being performed the same between all the service centers then? Since apparently others haven't had all their visuals changed over. Might be a good post-conversion check for people to make sure their service center switches everything over. Hopefully it's all just UI stuff, but who knows if there is some important settings that might not be getting updated, too?

I could totally believe it's 2 different software teams that don't like each other.

:D Good point. Heck, I've even seen software teams that like each other still botch stuff up cross-team collaboration like that.

I'm now tempted to order the wheel conversion just to get the airbag and the new UI (and then probably convert back to my aftermarket wheel anyway). Maybe when they get enough supply in stock.

It is strange, though....I was told here that only a small minority of people didn't like the yoke. Maybe one of those forum members was in charge of estimating the take rate on wheel coversions? :D