Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting....sounds like the firmware update isn't being performed the same between all the service centers then? Since apparently others haven't had all their visuals changed over. Might be a good post-conversion check for people to make sure their service center switches everything over. Hopefully it's all just UI stuff, but who knows if there is some important settings that might not be getting updated, too?
Yeah I am guessing the tech who did the work did not complete all the work for those who did not get their visuals updated. My tech spent a good 45 mins when he did the work. Also, if I remember correct, I didn't notice the visual updates until the next day. When I took the car for a spin immediately after the work was done, the car was still showing the yoke.

So there is a chance the changes might not happen immediately and some kind of a phone home request will update the UI (?)

My appointment has remained for April 3. I just texted with the SC asking about the parts, and they replied that "yes, all the parts are in stock."

So we are a still go for Monday morning! Exciting, but still conflicted that I won't be able to easily and cleanly swap back and forth with the yoke.

Well Tesla has done it again. My original service date was 3/27 and Tesla moved it to 4/5. Now they have just moved it again to 4/17. Since I ordered the steering wheel back when it was NOT on back-order, and Paid for it at that time, I am frustrated with the way they do business. Does anyone know of a phone number where you can call, not text, someone at Tesla and talk to a real person to find out what is really going on?

I actually just ordered the wheel, and supposedly I'm set up for an early 4/4 morning installation. Not holding my breath, especially since the local parts guy just told me today that they were backed up.

I'm curious if I should change back to the yoke before the appointment...

I actually just ordered the wheel, and supposedly I'm set up for an early 4/4 morning installation. Not holding my breath, especially since the local parts guy just told me today that they were backed up.

I'm curious if I should change back to the yoke before the appointment...

That's a good question. I could see them refusing to the install the new wheel with an aftermarket wheel installed, although there's no good reason to deny the service.

Looks like a third wheel option is coming out since they found that even the yoke was obstructing the view of the dash during turns:

1680362892873.png

Tesla News: While the yoke did a better job than a traditional wheel of not obscuring the dashboard (which was a huge problem until the yoke came along), it wasn't perfect--it could still obstruct the visuals while it's being rotated in turns. Enter the new Tesla Nub steering control! It will never obscure any of your controls again. And don't worry about accidentally honking the horn while using the Nub, since the horn button is now in the glove compartment, along with the turn signal, wiper, and light controls. Another giant leap forward with user interface design, by Tesla.

Just dropped mine off and the Tech confirmed he would return the Yoke to me. Didn’t discuss airbag. Annoyingly I’m getting the old “unable to duplicate” response to the suspension vibration issue and a plan to “check the balance on the tires” that we know is not the issue, but that’s for another thread…

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
He said for the new airbag, the software is just reloaded, which is interesting.

Update: It’s his first time and he said he did it the wrong way around. He is supposed to use the shop computer to set the car to round wheel and then the shop computer does a reload of the software after the config, even though he already did a reload from the service menu.

He also had problems scanning the QR code for the new steering wheel. It only worked when he manually typed in the number.

Last edited:
He said for the new airbag the software is just reloaded, which is interesting.

First of all, I'm totes jelly.

But secondly, if you look at the photo of the airbag, there's clearly a differentiation between yoke and round airbags -- your new one is labeled "MSX P2 - Round Driver" -- meaning, I suppose, "Model S/X, Phase 2 - round wheel, driver airbag" ... I'm guessing on the P2 part but there's definitely something different about this thing than the yoke airbag, otherwise they'd just reuse it.

As for reloading software - that's one of the coolest things they've added to Service Mode in a long time. Makes it much easier & quicker when a new part is installed, so it can push the latest firmware to that device without having to re-download the entire package from the Mothership. Same process those crazy people doing homemade CCS charging retrofits are using to reprogram the charge port controller.

First of all, I'm totes jelly.

But secondly, if you look at the photo of the airbag, there's clearly a differentiation between yoke and round airbags -- your new one is labeled "MSX P2 - Round Driver" -- meaning, I suppose, "Model S/X, Phase 2 - round wheel, driver airbag" ... I'm guessing on the P2 part but there's definitely something different about this thing than the yoke airbag, otherwise they'd just reuse it.

As for reloading software - that's one of the coolest things they've added to Service Mode in a long time. Makes it much easier & quicker when a new part is installed, so it can push the latest firmware to that device without having to re-download the entire package from the Mothership. Same process those crazy people doing homemade CCS charging retrofits are using to reprogram the charge port controller.

Unfortunately, I had to update my previous post to say that we can not do a full airbag swap on our own with the service menu. He had to plug in under the wireless charging pad with his laptop to do the config change. I was hoping I could buy one of the many yoke airbags for sale on eBay for $300 and be able to swap back and forth myself.

Maybe just a reload will work to get the different airbags to be functional, but not shown in the icons, but I don't know and I didn't think the tech would know since he was so confused by the whole process, so I didn't ask him. Would be nice to be able to swap back and forth.

Talking about airbag prices, the tech said in his system, the wheel is shown as $700 and the airbag is shown as an additional $700, so Tesla is giving us 1/2 off with the swap. I find it surprising that an airbag from Tesla would only cost $700.

Took my first drive. Here are my initial impressions:

- For me, it's comfortable having the steering wheel in the most up position. I prefer to hang my ape-like long arms off the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 position, which is one of the main reasons why I wanted the steering wheel. It's just what's comfortable for me, so I am one of the few that didn't find the yoke comfortable for long straight driving.
- No issue for me with bumping the steering wheel getting in and out. It seems less in the way of getting in and out of the car than the yoke when the yoke was level. I used to tilt the yoke to right right when parking so my leg wouldn't bump it getting in and out and cause that early peeling.
- Absolutely no issue with the steering wheel blocking the dash display for me. I can see everything including the speed limit sign.
- The right side of the wheel definitely cuts a bit more off the left edge of the center display, but it's not show stopper for the wheel.
- Having my hands finally at 10 and 2 caused me to relapse back to grabbing for a turn stalk. It is awkward for me right now to move my hand back down for the turn signals from that position compared to the yoke that pretty much forced you to keep your thumbs close the controls. That will take the longest to get used to.
- The steering wheel feels good. I don't notice the smoother texture others mentioned, and there is no issue in gripping the wheel. Having the stitching on the backside is unusual for any car, and may be a first, but the perception went away quickly, and kind of improves the grip like holding a football on the laces.
- The steering wheel does seem unusually large in diameter for the car, but I am sure that perception will fade over time. It's a little bus-like in diameter.
- The thickness of the steering wheel feels right to me even though most have commented that it feels too thin.

The tech arrived in an early MS Refresh (that holds the world record for the worst panel gaps I have seen so far on a Tesla), and he said he immediately liked the round wheel more and wished they would upgrade his service car, but expects that won't happen for a long time if ever.

I just talked to my service center and found out that they have the round steering wheel in their possession. However, they said that now they are waiting on the airbag to go with it, which might take awhile. I thought that the retrofit was a kit, which would make sense. But, then, there's Tesla.

On another note, what changes when the new software is updated?

- For me, it's comfortable having the steering wheel in the most up position. I prefer to hang my ape-like long arms off the steering wheel at the 10 and 2 position, which is one of the main reasons why I wanted the steering wheel. It's just what's comfortable for me, so I am one of the few that didn't find the yoke comfortable for long straight driving.
I found myself doing silly things™ with driving the yoke for long & straight driving. Like keeping one hand on my thigh and kinda gripping it like an old-school Atari joystick. Not good behaviors. Will be glad to dump it.
- No issue for me with bumping the steering wheel getting in and out. It seems less in the way of getting in and out of the car than the yoke when the yoke was level. I used to tilt the yoke to right right when parking so my leg wouldn't bump it getting in and out and cause that early peeling.
Great.
- Absolutely no issue with the steering wheel blocking the dash display for me. I can see everything including the speed limit sign.
Great!
- The right side of the wheel definitely cuts a bit more off the left edge of the center display, but it's not show stopper for the wheel.
Eh. With the binnacle, this is less crucial. Would be a big problem on your 3/Y, but the critical data is on the instrument panel.
- Having my hands finally at 10 and 2 caused me to relapse back to grabbing for a turn stalk. It is awkward for me right now to move my hand back down for the turn signals from that position compared to the yoke that pretty much forced you to keep your thumbs close the controls. That will take the longest to get used to.
Yep. Someone should come up with an add-on stalk module.
- The steering wheel feels good. I don't notice the smoother texture others mentioned, and there is no issue in gripping the wheel. Having the stitching on the backside is unusual for any car, and may be a first, but the perception went away quickly, and kind of improves the grip like holding a football on the laces.
- The steering wheel does seem unusually large in diameter for the car, but I am sure that perception will fade over time. It's a little bus-like in diameter.
I'm good with both of these. Prefer the larger wheel - X has something similar - feels a little big at first but once you're used to it, it's pretty glorious.
- The thickness of the steering wheel feels right to me even though most have commented that it feels too thin.
Thin is good. I actually like old-world 70s muscle car wheels. Guess that's what I grew up on.
The tech arrived in an early MS Refresh (that holds the world record for the worst panel gaps I have seen so far on a Tesla), and he said he immediately liked the round wheel more and wished they would upgrade his service car, but expects that won't happen for a long time if ever.
Cobbler's children syndrome. The service vehicles should be rolling marketing for Tesla, not a jalopy.