Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what I did, hope it helps. I wanted to install some before any damage occurs since it will be months before any Model Y specific will be available. I looked at many types but found this one from Amazon that would work. I wanted on that didn't look like just a piece of plastic sheeting, and would have contours and texture. My intent was to install without any modifications. But with all this talk about mud and dirt getting behind the flaps, I decided to cut it to fit to minimize collecting dirt. The process was not that hard when I figured out how to cut it. I used aviation snips ($10 at Homedepot), and my Oscillating cutter. A Dremel would work too. I used a file on the edge after cutting to remove the burrs, and to round out the cuts. I created the template from 2 sheets of paper, and transferred it to flap. The 2 plastic retainer clips (body pins), were not long enough so I used some left overs from a previous project. Like the ones mentioned in the earlier posts, I used 2 short black screws to mount the upper part to the plastic fender trim. The Template worked for both sides. I only did the fronts since it was the most critical.

View attachment 624177 View attachment 624186 View attachment 624178 View attachment 624188 View attachment 624192
Here is the link to the flaps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENSOWBM/

This was the best looking (in my opinion) until a contoured, true fitting one becomes available on the market. Just have to do the cuts. I still have the paper template if anyone wants a copy. Creating the template was challenging, but it helped minimized the cutting process.

View attachment 624177 View attachment 624186 View attachment 624192
I would also love the paper template. This looks great!

Took a roadtrip to Colorado from tx. Had about 2900 total miles from the trip. Drove through some snow and salt on roads.

Full front and rocker panel PPF really did their jobs as I can report 0 paint chips. Ceramic coat also helped with the easy wash of car.

However, there is now dirt stuck inside the edges for the PPF rocker panel piece that goes on the rear bumper panel. Probably cause the detail shop couldn't fully wrap it around under the trim.

Last edited:
I would also love the paper template. This looks great!

I will try to load the template as a PDF. There are 2 pages. Just print out both and use the alignment lines to line both pages. Note that one page will be in landscape, the other in portrait mode. Just be aware that that the cutting process is easier if you have the right tools. The larger bottom 2 holes are 8mm. But you can first try a smaller diameter just in case the template is off a bit for your car.

Attachments

• ModelYmudflap.pdf
    210.2 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: Lozzy
PPF really is NOT the answer- flaps/splash guards are actually to protect you and the other drivers on the road. Half the reason you need PPF on the front of YOUR car is because the driver in front of you doesn't have flaps. Road spray is also an issue, in salty or freezing conditions, its a lot safer for drivers to have their windshields fouled a lot less - PPF ain't gonna help you there; rock in your windshield kicked up by the car in front of you - that's why some locations have laws requiring flaps.

The other thing that is being missed in this discussion is that those ugly flat flaps have a purpose- by being flat and being able to flex- they drop ice and snow build up much more readily and they wont tear off if you back up into a snowbank. By being flexible they can stick out much farther and actually do what flaps are really for - preventing road debris/liquids from getting kicked up into your car and the car behind you. I actually kind of like the 'rally flap' look.

PPF really is NOT the answer- flaps/splash guards are actually to protect you and the other drivers on the road. Half the reason you need PPF on the front of YOUR car is because the driver in front of you doesn't have flaps. Road spray is also an issue, in salty or freezing conditions, its a lot safer for drivers to have their windshields fouled a lot less - PPF ain't gonna help you there; rock in your windshield kicked up by the car in front of you - that's why some locations have laws requiring flaps.

The other thing that is being missed in this discussion is that those ugly flat flaps have a purpose- by being flat and being able to flex- they drop ice and snow build up much more readily and they wont tear off if you back up into a snowbank. By being flexible they can stick out much farther and actually do what flaps are really for - preventing road debris/liquids from getting kicked up into your car and the car behind you. I actually kind of like the 'rally flap' look.

I would really like if there was an option for some that were removable. Even if I would probably stop removing them after a while when I got too lazy or worried my other half would take out the car when I hand’t installed them, etc.

I'm just amazed there are not many mud flap options available, yet.
Yeah, it's been out a full year now. The only thing I can think of is that the delay is due to Covid shutdowns around the world?

The flaps that some of purchased on ebay do fit perfectly to the contour of the MY and they even clip on to the existing plastic edging.. .they just don't extend inward enough to reach the mounting holes. So, some work has been done, but it needs further refinement. As someone who dabbles in 3D printing/design the hard part has been done on those ebay flaps, the area that needs extending is just a flat flap of plastic with no contours, etc. It should be trivial to revise the original version and make a new mold.

FWIW- I sent a message to the ebay seller to see if they have new flaps in the works.....
Got a reply from the ebay mud flap seller (and they refunded the remaining 50% of the price I paid for the flaps I kept so I got the flaps for free):

"Hi, dear, we are sorry for the problem, and we will refund the remaining fee to you. The flaps need to be improved, and it may take a long time to wait. You can leave your email address. We will notify you by email as soon as it is available. You can order at that time if you are still interested in our products.Thank you for your understanding.
Best regards."

I gave them my email address and told them exactly what needed to be revised on the new version. We'll see what happens...

I would really like if there was an option for some that were removable. Even if I would probably stop removing them after a while when I got too lazy or worried my other half would take out the car when I hand’t installed them, etc.
Neodymium magnets can be shockingly powerful! If there was a way to get a two sets of magnets, one on a 'mini' mudflap what was permanently on the care and a second set on a larger set.... You might be able to swap them in and out.

Reactions: Curryolla
I have been looking through this thread, and I am trying to see if anyone else is having as much damage as I am. My rear doors protrude from the front doors by about 3mm, maybe more, right at the bottom. I opened a ticket with service, and they are having me bring my car in. The service guy on the phone did not seem hopeful that Tesla would think this is their problem. Is everyone seeing this type of damage, or is the concern more about the spray and smutz?
pebbles_door.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK
I have been looking through this thread, and I am trying to see if anyone else is having as much damage as I am. My rear doors protrude from the front doors by about 3mm, maybe more, right at the bottom. I opened a ticket with service, and they are having me bring my car in. The service guy on the phone did not seem hopeful that Tesla would think this is their problem. Is everyone seeing this type of damage, or is the concern more about the spray and smutz?View attachment 625391

I have the same problem on my Infiniti...my 2007 Infiniti with 270,000 miles on it!!! I'm planning on getting PPF on the door edge to prevent this exact thing.