Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are people buying new ICE cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Longer roadtrips are still a pain with EVs. Depending on each, 5 hours extra on a 1k mile trip, is not acceptable. I'm one of those.
I certainly agree that it is unacceptable for some people, and maybe especially when I was younger, BUT for ME, it is perfectly acceptable because I can't drive for hours without stopping to do various things and at night I charge at the hotel while I sleep. In my 4 trips all the way across the USA and back, not once did I think it was unacceptable. But sure, I hear some people saying they waste time charging on long road trips. I'm not one of them. :)

im surprised too - I have a lot of friends that are fascinated by my tesla and have come along for rides etc but I haven't been able to convince anyone to go electric - they all buy or lease a lexus, BMW or Audi :rolleyes: I've not gotten to use a referral code once even in 4 yrs of ownership.

I think if there's more incentives, for example if our work had EV preferred parking or better yet free or cheap charging that might be an incentive? They ought to give HOV access for life for all ZEV electric cars (not the PHEV/hybrids) and maybe even phase out carpooling and incentivize EV and make it an "EV" lane.

The secret is to let them drive it. Simply riding along in the passenger's seat isn't enough.

Reactions: Exelion
The secret is to let them drive it. Simply riding along in the passenger's seat isn't enough.

exactly this, as it was with me also. I’ve sat as passenger in quite a few Teslas but only after I drove one myself (at the acceleration rate I wanted) did I then consider a Tesla seriously.

Sitting as a passenger only leads to vehicle comparisons and reviews.

Reactions: Big Earl
I'm surprised, baffled, dismayed and so on by the new car buying habits of supposedly environmentally minded people in OR. I'm not talking about people for whom a Tesla is unaffordable, those looking to buy used, or people needing something not yet available in EV form. I'm referring to people who are buying NEW sedans or CUVs. "Ooh, I bought a Subaru/ some other ICE. I love it!". They talk excitedly about the gas mileage which is "great", especially with the "increasing gas prices".

It seems that they are not even considering a Tesla or a different EV. How can you be concerned about gas prices and excited about great mileage and not think about an EV? How can you be so oblivious to the change that is upon us?

Strange.
Almost went ICE for recent purchase for these reasons.
- not a commuter car, so low yearly milage.
- cost of install for garage charging capability
- neglible cost for built-in garage door opener

After answering questions from prospective BEV owners about my Tesla, I concluded that the main reason that they ended up buying another ICE vehicle was the lack of choice in BEV models. First, the prospective buyer filters the BEV choices by price. Then they look at vehicle size, charging options, range and features like AWD. At that point there may be one or two possible BEV models left to consider, if that. And usually one option is a Tesla. Also, a number of people that I talked to wouldn't consider a PHEV because of the design complexity and lack of electric range. At least in another few years the BEV options will be more numerous.

I needed a vehicle that could tow 6000 lbs and also make trips to our mountain home. The Tesla cant tow that load and the mountain trip would be extremily inconvenient with no supercharges on the route and the nay charging option once there being 110 power.

I think the idea of an all electric car is foreign to most people, when you say electric then the subject of where and how to fill up becomes a negative. We have a neighbor who is a retired doctor and has 2 prius’s and solar, is concerned about the environment but will not own an all electric car. He says he goes to Southern California to visit his daughter and it is an 8 hours drive and does not want to stop. I said don’t you eat something or need to use the restroom, his response is no I do not want to stop. What’s the hurry another 30 minutes is not a big deal, plus he can afford a Tesla. This is just one of many comments I hear when talking about purchasing an all electric car.
Most people I know who make long drives (~8hrs or more) don’t stop and eat. Filling up a 20 GAL has tank only takes 5 minutes and you usually just go thru drive thru for food thus a 30 min stop is inconvenient for Many people (also for most ev’s a trip of that dist would be more like an hour stop).
I think that’s the challenge right now for EV’s . The benefits do not outweigh the lifestyle changes most people would be willing to make.

Reactions: Barklikeadog
Most people I know who make long drives (~8hrs or more) don’t stop and eat. Filling up a 20 GAL has tank only takes 5 minutes and you usually just go thru drive thru for food thus a 30 min stop is inconvenient for Many people (also for most ev’s a trip of that dist would be more like an hour stop).
I think that’s the challenge right now for EV’s . The benefits do not outweigh the lifestyle changes most people would be willing to make.
I'm one of those people. Bring food and stop 5 mins in the middle to take a leak. Course I have a 36ga tank

Reactions: BooMan
Taking trips and charging in rural and unknown areas is still a hassle that requires a lot of pre-planning and possible stress. There are quite a few places that an EV just can't traverse, such as Hwy 93 north of Las Vegas to Twin Falls, ID.

I'm one of those people. Bring food and stop 5 mins in the middle to take a leak. Course I have a 36ga tank
I would suggest you are a "Unicorn". I would guess 99% of drivers do not regularly drive 1000 miles at a time. If you on "occasion" 4-5 times per year drive in excess of 500 miles - one way - AND you have no other car - perhaps you can think about range. Other than that, the conversation about range and charging times is as useful as talking about what to do when you see a unicorn. For 99% of people - who have charging available in their garage - a BEV is far more convenient.

I live 3 miles outside of Garfield KY. The nearest charger is in Elizabethtown KY 31 miles from my house. There are chargers in Louisville and Bardstown. We went to Owensboro today 3 hour round trip. I did not see one electric vehicle charging station. I have not seen an electric car in almost 4 weeks. The last ones I saw were 2 Teslas in April in Elizabethtown KY

I would suggest you are a "Unicorn". I would guess 99% of drivers do not regularly drive 1000 miles at a time. If you on "occasion" 4-5 times per year drive in excess of 500 miles - one way - AND you have no other car - perhaps you can think about range. Other than that, the conversation about range and charging times is as useful as talking about what to do when you see a unicorn. For 99% of people - who have charging available in their garage - a BEV is far more convenient.
I do drive 500mi each way several times per year. When I use the tesla trip planner, I get times closer to 10 hours depending on the vehicle. This would be an extra 18 hours of travel time throughout the year. No idea where I can charge at my destination, so there is obviously more time involved. I've always said... Give me a truck with 500+ range for a decent price and ill be a buyer... Then that thing rolled out on stage...ugh.

I'm surprised, baffled, dismayed and so on by the new car buying habits of supposedly environmentally minded people in OR. I'm not talking about people for whom a Tesla is unaffordable, those looking to buy used, or people needing something not yet available in EV form. I'm referring to people who are buying NEW sedans or CUVs. "Ooh, I bought a Subaru/ some other ICE. I love it!". They talk excitedly about the gas mileage which is "great", especially with the "increasing gas prices".

It seems that they are not even considering a Tesla or a different EV. How can you be concerned about gas prices and excited about great mileage and not think about an EV? How can you be so oblivious to the change that is upon us?

Strange.
I just purchased a M3 in March and came out of a full sized truck. These are a few of reasons they might be doing so. They already have one EV and are offsetting some risk of unstable utility cost and availability? They are concerned with quality they hear from owners or media (like my situation) and Tesla buyers are the worst for complaining. Some Tesla owners are snobby and egocentric which results in a really bad first impression? They don’t understand the ecosystem behind Tesla (me again). Most everyone thinks the cost of one is extreme (false).

For me, I ignored all of those in the end and I now drive why I dig. I do appreciate these type boards though as there are very few surprises from the deposit to today. And I fight the ego problem with myself on a regular basis as I understand that now too…

This question is asked too soon.

Maybe in 10-20 years it will be equivalent to “Who still uses a landline as their primary telephone?” or “Who still buys non-LCD TVs?”.

Everyone has valid reasons to buy what they want. It’s like asking why some people still buy domestic or foreign brands of cars.

I look forward to the day when someone asks “Why doesn’t everyone use a teleporter instead of flying?”. :)

This is the big problem that has to be overcome if we want to see an EV future; those who have the resources to buy one need to get onboard and initiate the momentum if we ever expect to see mass adoption. Look at all the ‘celebrity’ elites cruising Sunset Blvd or South Beach in their gas guzzling Euro exotics and SUVs while promoting environmental responsibility. That kind of hypocritical mindset needs to change in we expect 100% EV adoption by 2035.