Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He is talking about driving 200 miles and then charging the car for hours and hours. GM has said that DC fast charging is going to be optional so taking a trip could be a very long process.

That's what I thought at first, but that doesn't make any sense. The Bolt can go 200 miles (3 highway hours), charge for x hours, and then only have enough charge and time left in the day to drive an additional 100 miles? So 4.5 highway hours and 10-12 hours of charging? It takes 9 hours to fill up the Bolt's battery using a 240V. It's not going to take anywhere near that long to fill it up halfway while using DC Fast Charging.

That's what I thought at first, but that doesn't make any sense. The Bolt can go 200 miles (3 highway hours), charge for x hours, and then only have enough charge and time left in the day to drive an additional 100 miles? So 4.5 highway hours and 10-12 hours of charging? It takes 9 hours to fill up the Bolt's battery using a 240V. It's not going to take anywhere near that long to fill it up halfway while using DC Fast Charging.
If you buy the DC fast charging option. The point was that it's not standard and that the DC chargers are not that fast on the Bolt. Combine that with the fact that many of the L2 EVSEs in the wild are only 3.3 kw makes for a slow trip compared to the Model 3.

Reactions: Jaff
A few new photos of the Model 3 from the GigaFactory press event today... :cool:

Tesla Model 3 rare red prototype displayed at the Tesla Gigafactory [Gallery]

upload_2016-7-26_17-34-33.png

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
If you buy the DC fast charging option. The point was that it's not standard and that the DC chargers are not that fast on the Bolt. Combine that with the fact that many of the L2 EVSEs in the wild are only 3.3 kw makes for a slow trip compared to the Model 3.

Sorry to be a pain but facts need to be correct to be helpful.

I have charged at 20 or more L2's in the wild and I have never been at 3.3 kw. The original Leaf had a 3.3 kw charger. Typical L2's are 30A. 3.3kw would be 15A at 220V - or half a typical charger.

I checked Greenville for you.... you folks need to be on Plugshare more but every one that said was 30A except a malfunctioning one that was at 20A.

Reactions: voip-ninja
I will check out Bolt if is is sold here, and also the revised Model 3 with bigger hatch back. If Bolt turns out as good as they are claiming, I will cancel my Model 3. No telling when I will actually GET a model 3 with the long list in front of me.
before you get a Bolt, consider how long your charging "leash" will be. nice city car and occasional SHORT day trips. (80 miles out and 80 back) (charge? where? how fa$t?) (crippled charge rate$)

I have charged at 20 or more L2's in the wild and I have never been at 3.3 kw. The original Leaf had a 3.3 kw charger. Typical L2's are 30A. 3.3kw would be 15A at 220V - or half a typical charger.

I checked Greenville for you.... you folks need to be on Plugshare more but every one that said was 30A except a malfunctioning one that was at 20A.
yes, but what is the max at 30A @ 220/240v ? around 6.6kW. what is a supercharger? >100kW? >125kW? (supposedly a few in great Britain on 145kW, so L2 is at best about 5% or less (20x as slow). Tesla released patents so anybody can fair use, so why nobody so far yet?

Yeah, the Model X doors were a real problem but they seem to be pretty much fixed now. The Model 3 won't have such fancy shenanigans so there shouldn't be much of a reason for regular SeC visits.
On the other hand I hear about large scale recalls all the time, not just minor issues that can be easily fixed by a SeC but full on regional recalls where they kept the cars for weeks to try to fix serious issues.
Happened to my boss with two separate Porsche models.

If you really want to be safe you should cancel your reservation and let us test the waters for you. :D

My Model X which is supposed to be a problematic one is solid as a rock. I think it may be due to the later build date. The early "beta"s seem to be problematic as we ran into some early owners who seem to have more time in the shop than drive time. And our Model S was also solid and never have much issue other than the sunroof was repaired and which was very minor without affecting day-to-day usage. So my Tesla experience right now is much better than my previous experience with MBZ and Honda.

And to be fair to Porsche, all three Porsche's I had and currently own are all very solid and never have any issue. They are built like a tank.

Even at 6.6 it's still going to be close to 10 hours for a full charge. The fact is that without a real DC fast charging network and faster DC quick charging capability the Bolt is not going to be a functional long trip car.

Well I cancelled on Monday. I still want my M3 but it will take many years now for me to afford for personal reasons already discussed so I'm stepping out of line. I'm pulling my money out so I can put it to work. Best guess when I will buy is 2020-2022 but hopefully all the bugs are ironed out, battery tech slightly advanced, and auto pilot is perfected so it will be worth it.

Well I cancelled on Monday. I still want my M3 but it will take many years now for me to afford for personal reasons already discussed so I'm stepping out of line. I'm pulling my money out so I can put it to work. Best guess when I will buy is 2020-2022 but hopefully all the bugs are ironed out, battery tech slightly advanced, and auto pilot is perfected so it will be worth it.

Sorry you can't afford it and smart to pull out if you really can't as too many people over extend themselves on cars for all the wrong reasons.

As for it being smarter to wait until "all the bugs are ironed out", that's pure sour grapes. There are no bugs, the range will be 250, the Autopilot will provide all the essential driver aids (auto braking, dynamic cruise, lane keeping, blind side/rear cross track warnings). AWD, towing and air suspension will all work fine. I won't be burning 700 gallons of gasoline a year and won't be putting 14,000 lbs of greenhouse gases into the air each year. Can't happen soon enough.

And while Tesla and EV's will improve every year, I'll be happy keeping my T3 for for 15 years as there really won't be anything else I'll need from a car (assuming the tow rating of the T3 is at least 3,000 lbs). Nice part is Tesla can software upgrade the controls every year, like Apple and IOS.

There are no bugs
lol. Tons of bugs in the Model S. It's getting better though (have you used the nav? what about the trip planner? what about the music resetting? and occasionally they break something with an OTA update)

cross track warnings
Is this confirmed for the Model 3, because the Model S does not have cross traffic warning. I don't think the Model X does either, could be wrong on that one.