TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why do you use TeslaFi?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ReturnZero, Apr 19, 2018.

1. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

I tried out TeslaFi and I normally like having a ton of data available, but I didn't see an immediate benefit to having all of this information.

If you use TeslaFi, what do you like about it? What are cool things you can do with this data that I'm not thinking about?

• Like x 1
  2. kvandivo

kvandivo Member

I like it because it gives me a record of travel. I really like the temperature chart where I can see where things are most efficient. I like the additional detail I get on the firmware versions by actually being a member. I like seeing how much I've charged at each charger and how many kwh I've actually consumed. I like seeing how much drain I'm getting while idling and while sleeping.

Those come to mind.

If anyone wants to try it and get extra time on their trial, use referral code

kvandivo

(I get a month of use out of it, too.. but I get more out of knowing that a useful website will be more likely to survive)

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. SDRick

SDRick Active Member

I use it for the reasons above as well. I also like the top speed and average speed data on every leg of my journey. What's not to like? Plenty of data on almost every metric!

• Disagree x 1
  4. shanelord

shanelord Member

I also use it for my log book for work vs personal trips. Far more accurate than any other method I’ve ever used.

Shane.

• Like x 1
  5. Corsair

Corsair Member

I use it to tell me how much $$$ I am saving (free charging at work), plus logging my travels. Worked well until Tesla API failed yesterday...

6. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

Cool thanks for all the info guys!

7. avesraggiana

avesraggiana Member

Some young millennial whippersnapper having just acquired a Model 3, complained that at $5.00 a month, Teslafi is a service that Tesla themselves SHOULD provide for free.

Entitlement much?

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Love x 1
  8. kvandivo

kvandivo Member

#8 kvandivo, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Tesla provides the API. Said millennial whippersnapper is more than welcome to write their own version of TeslaFi. :)

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  9. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

..I would use more than once daily if there was mobile app ;)

• Like x 3
  10. Brettski

Brettski Supporting Member

When I get around to it, I'm going to try to use the data collected by teslafi to calculate my car's lifetime rated miles versus actual miles driven.

• Like x 1
  11. MMinehan

MMinehan Member

I used it to log work versus personal travel using tags. It has an 'auto tag' feature which is GPS based. So every time I drive to or from work the trip is auto tagged as work. It's by far the best vehicle logging system I have used.

• Like x 2
  12. Wooloomooloo

Wooloomooloo Member

Do they have an app, or is it just web based so far?

(I didn't seen anything on the Apple App store).

13. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

It's only web based, but the rendering in a mobile browser is tolerable.

• Like x 1
  14. shanelord

shanelord Member

I wish they had an app. No in car browser in Australia.

15. kvandivo

kvandivo Member

For me, at least, it's really not something that I use from the car very often. Every so often I'll be in the middle of a day long drive and want to check something while I'm sitting at a charger. But, frankly, the in-car browser experience for the site isn't very fast. (I'm not MCU2)

Now... from home.. that's a different story. I use it daily from the laptop.

16. ReturnZero

ReturnZero Member

I'd love to build an app (and use one) for TeslaFi. I don't know if the TeslaFi guys read these threads, but if you do and are interested in having native iOS/Android apps built for it, send me a PM.

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. JQS3

JQS3 Member

I'm going to use your code right now, thanks!

18. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

I have used teslafi for about a month to fine tune my driving sng charging habits. It has saved me big bucks. I found my charging efficiency is 78%, which means I don't need a NEMA 14-50. It also alerted me to a sudden decrease in range due I think to new tires.

19. kvandivo

kvandivo Member

I've been using it long enough now that I'm starting to see lots of the same trips between superchargers, at the same time of day. It's kinda fascinating to see the differences in efficiency when you know that the route is identical and the only statistically significant differences are weather.

• Informative x 1
  20. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

The weather seems to be a big part, and soon, I think I will be able to make plans regarding range using the teslafi data.

Only had it a month, but worth the 5 bucks, even if I stop using it in the future.