Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla not provide Dash Cams?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's also jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction legal concerns about dashcams, particularly if the recording happens on private property, or there are children being recorded. Plus, some drivers do not want dashcam footage because it could potentially be self-incriminating and not everyone desires full honesty in such situations.

• Disagree
Reactions: Blastphemy
Definitely can't be cost issues. And anyone not wishing to record can simply turn off the feature, like bluetooth or wifi on a phone.

I agree with the legal concerns. That seems most plausible. No car makers seem to provide this relatively simple technology. Then why are aftermarket cams exempt?

There's also jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction legal concerns about dashcams, particularly if the recording happens on private property, or there are children being recorded. Plus, some drivers do not want dashcam footage because it could potentially be self-incriminating and not everyone desires full honesty in such situations.
really? that is something that I've never encountered or heard of, could you provide details as to where these places are?

Aftermarket cameras aren't exempt, but it's up to the person who buys and installs the after market camera to ensure that they comply with all the legal requirements that apply to them. Just because a dashcam is not legal in one location doesn't meant that it can't be sold anywhere.
I'll ask the same question, where is it that a video camera installed on a car illegal?

really? that is something that I've never encountered or heard of, could you provide details as to where these places are?

I did a quick search before I installed my dashcam and from what I could see, in the US at least, it's legal to record video anywhere... there is no expectation of privacy on public roads in the US. However, recording audio was a bit more complicated and there are some states (including florida, where I am) where they recommend that you do not enable the mic and record audio audio as it could be illegal. I don't know about other countries.

• Informative
I did a quick search before I installed my dashcam and from what I could see, in the US at least, it's legal to record video anywhere... there is no expectation of privacy on public roads in the US. However, recording audio was a bit more complicated and there are some states (including florida, where I am) where they recommend that you do not enable the mic and record audio audio as it could be illegal. I don't know about other countries.
so your initial comment was incorrect, video cameras are not illegal but the voice recording the camera makes could be illegal.

Ok, the only time that would come into play is if you are having a conversation with someone outside of the vehicle. and in some places that could be illegal but AFAIK there aren't penalties unless you try to use the recordings for nefarious purposed or if you tried to use the recording in a legal matter it could be ruled inadmissible as evidence.