Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned a MYP for about 2 months now. I'm also a car dealer and have driven almost everything out there. I have to say all the noise out there about ride quality, panel fit, squeaks and rattles, build quality appear to be rubbish. I also suspect many of these folks are paid trolls for the big car companies. AND/OR maybe this was a problem with earlier cars. My car rides great! Fit and finish is excellent. In fact to me it feels more like an 80's Porsche or Mercedes in terms of tightness and build quality. i'm extremely satisfied at this point.

Everyone who thinks the Model Y suspension is too stiff, should have driven my 2017 Nissan 350Z. I think my kidneys are still bruised LOL
suspension is subjective
opinions (which is what they are) depend on education, experience, expectations, and .... other opinions
few have any suspension education
experience is highly variable
expectations are even more variable
opinions are all over the map

the MY suspension is what Tesla designed, delivered, and what every customer starts with.
there are aftermarket products for those who wish to explore 'enhancements'.
YMMV

I've owned a MYP for about 2 months now. I'm also a car dealer and have driven almost everything out there. I have to say all the noise out there about ride quality, panel fit, squeaks and rattles, build quality appear to be rubbish. I also suspect many of these folks are paid trolls for the big car companies. AND/OR maybe this was a problem with earlier cars. My car rides great! Fit and finish is excellent. In fact to me it feels more like an 80's Porsche or Mercedes in terms of tightness and build quality. i'm extremely satisfied at this point.
”I’ve driven cars for 30 years and I have to say, all the noise out there about ride and build quality is spot on. I suspect all of the folks who say otherwise are just shills for Tesla and Elon Musk and therefore are lying.”

Do you really believe everyone who isn’t satisfied with the ride of their Tesla is nothing but a Big 3 Troll?????

For the record, I have no problem with the build quality of my MY but I don’t think the people who do are lying about it, either. The interior isn’t as nice as my Audi was but there’s nothing wrong with it and it’s a different aesthetic. I’ve also read/heard several reports that the suspension has improved on the MY. Mine is from July, 2020, VIN 027xxx so it’s clearly an early model. I haven’t driven a newer model to compare, so I can only go by reports.

The wife has a 2021 Audi Q5 prestige, and I have a 2022 MYP. I actually find the ride in the Y better than the Q5, and the MYP will leave the Q5 in the dust.
In what way? Are you referring to ride or handling? I’ve driven a Q5 and (compared to my 2020 MYLR) I have a hard time believing anyone could say it rides better. The Q5 is physically bigger and has a higher center of gravity compared to the MY so if you’re interested in cornering it may be better in that respect. I don’t drive my car on the track so I’m primarily interested in the ride on roads (and how it deals with potholes)

@sleepydoc

funny how online discourse works

my words:

" I also suspect many of these folks are paid trolls for the big car companies. AND/OR maybe this was a problem with earlier cars"

your interpretation of my words:

"Do you really believe everyone who isn’t satisfied with the ride of their Tesla is nothing but a Big 3 Troll?????"

to clarify...NOT everyone is a big 3 Troll. ( not big 3 either, established large brands was my point) .. but many IMO are. and yes i agree earlier cars likely had issues that seem to have been corrected.

and yes we've all "driven cars for 30 years" but my point was as a car dealer i've driven more brands and types, years, era's than most. classics to modern sports, to suv's, trucks, model a's, t's hot rod's, mclarens, ferraris, volvo's, fiat's, race cars, (drag and track) etc...So that is my point of reference and comparison.

Hope this clarifies what I actually said.

I have a MYLR since June 2021 and the ride while a bit bumpy is ok for me. However, I came from driving a 2008 Jeep wrangler unlimited for 13 years so my bar is fairly low. Our other vehicle is a 2019 highlander that rides much better. It has a much longer wheel base, non low profile tires and is designed fora nice family so no big surprise. Does it handle as well as the MY - No and I enjoy driving the Tesla much more. Are there things that could be better in my mind, heck yes. But that's been true of ever car I've driven over the last 58 years.
I particularly don't like low profile tires, while they help handling, curbs and midwest pot holes do not get along well with them. You have to be alert and careful not to scrape wheels or blow tires and bend wheels. There's where I miss the jeep, any pothole your teeth and back could tolerate was ok to hit at speed.

Reactions: mangrove79
I've been driving around for about 2 weeks now with tire pressure at 40. I do feel the ride is less harsh, to the point where I think I can get used to it, without sacrificing handling or the range. I go across rail tracks daily and those are clearly smoother.

My car came at around 42-43. Surprisingly, so far, my range has been good at 40psi. When I don't need to use highways, the efficiency is around 95-105% as per TeslaFi.

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?
Easy answer: Tesla doesn't know how to make a car. Batteries? Sure. Drivetrain? No problem. But the actual bits that sit atop the skateboard? No love.

As an exercise, visit a car by a manufacturer who actually cares about vehicle dynamics and the driving experience. You might be shocked by what you're missing in a Tesla. Why do you think Musk focuses so much on the 0-60? Because he wants that to blind people to all the other deficiencies in the car. Also, do you not find it interesting that Tesla does nothing to its "performance" suspension besides lowering it a little bit? Tesla is the only company I know that makes a "performance" car without a matching performance or sports suspension.

Maybe that's why Teslas can't even go in a straight line during straight-line acceleration :p The torque steer and camber thrust are real.

I've owned a MYP for about 2 months now… In fact to me it feels more like an 80's Porsche or Mercedes in terms of tightness and build quality.
It most definitely feels like an 80s car... I couldn't have said it better myself!

Last edited:

Tesla has softened the 3/Y suspension recently. Especially in the P. My 2020 Model Y has great build quality. It's very stiff with no rattles and has precise but numb steering.

But I accept that some people have received lower build quality cars. I had a 2018 Model 3 loaner with 30K miles that was not nearly as nice as my Model Y.

Reactions: mangrove79
Tesla has softened the 3/Y suspension recently. Especially in the P. My 2020 Model Y has great build quality. It's very stiff with no rattles and has precise but numb steering.

But I accept that some people have received lower build quality cars. I had a 2018 Model 3 loaner with 30K miles that was not nearly as nice as my Model Y.

Source for this information?

Reactions: GBwaiting
I'd generally agree with you except denigrating others opinion of their vehicle. Sill super thrilled with mine, it's not perfect but no new car I've ever bought is.

However there are plenty of people that have taken delivery of cars that shouldn't have left the assembly line or SC after getting prepped, with some serious problems. They aren't trolling, and perhaps they've gotten lathered up by all the 50 page inspection sheets, notoriety regarding paint and gaps, et al , but I wouldn't be so quick diminish their experience, and chalk it up to astroturfing by the big car companies.