Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I returned my 2019 Tesla Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool that you are an audio engineer to be able to explain the condition with more detail. With my decidedly old and standard ears, I cannot hear anything noteworthy on the audio. Of course I am in the office and there is noise around me. I may have better luck in a quieter space.

Hell if I am just not capable of picking it out, I wonder if my car is doing it. :eek:

Imo that's not normal. Can anyone with sensitive ears confirm this is an issue on all Raven Model X?

I can confirm my Non-Raven X does not have this high pitched sound. There is, of course, the quiet whirr of the electric motors, but that's a very comfortable sound of the future!

I definitely hear a high pitch noise in your sample. I assume the X was at a consistent speed for that recording?

I don’t think it’s normal though admittedly you have a Raven refresh with a new motor in the front. I don’t hear anything similar in my X, but since you would have the 3’s permanent magnet motor instead of the older AC induction motor maybe they make different sounds and the X isn’t able to isolate it in the same way as the 3. But no way that type of high pitch is normal IMO.

I DO hear my electric motor by the way, especially under hard acceleration, but it’s not the annoying high-pitch sample you attached in your blog. I can understand why you returned it and sorry that Tesla didn’t fix it for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: dragonxt
Hi Guys,

Just want to share my recent experience with Tesla.
I bought and returned 2019 Model X due to some high pitch sound in Cabin.
I wrote my whole experience with some technical analysis here.
For people who are thinking buying one, please definitely check out following post:

Why I returned my 2019 Tesla Model X?
I am sorry but I put a 'Disagree' on your posting.

The Tesla X is purely a masterpiece on wheels!

I just think you are a pedant who likes bragging about throwing away $150k toys after using them once.

So, what about the new mandatory noise that EVs should have.

It seems you never used the BART or even used a recent laptop making coil whine noise.

I definitely hear a high pitch noise in your sample. I assume the X was at a consistent speed for that recording?

I don’t think it’s normal though admittedly you have a Raven refresh with a new motor in the front. I don’t hear anything similar in my X, but since you would have the 3’s permanent magnet motor instead of the older AC induction motor maybe they make different sounds and the X isn’t able to isolate it in the same way as the 3. But no way that type of high pitch is normal IMO.

I DO hear my electric motor by the way, especially under hard acceleration, but it’s not the annoying high-pitch sample you attached in your blog. I can understand why you returned it and sorry that Tesla didn’t fix it for you.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, recording was done at a constant speed of about 60mph. Below 50mph, its not as bad but still noticeable.

23 db bellow the other noise? I would just turn my sound up a notch.

Good point, but keep in mind other noise band is not in higher frequencies. If you listen to isolated pure 4kHz even with lower amplitude, you will get annoyed pretty quickly. Here is a link to pure 4kHz audio, feel free to adjust the volume down and try listening it all the way.

This is what in the background of audio recording I have posted in my blog.

there's no updated battery, 100D battery is the same for raven and before raven. Range impact is likely negligible (not sure if anybody took any real world measurements.

Battery packs are a new rev level, but I doubt there's any difference in usable energy.

Range impact of the Raven updates is quite substantial, though. Tesla promised ten percent, more city than highway, and from my experience so far it's actually more than that - my Ludicrous Raven X is running ten percent below what I would expect from my previous 2016 X75D at high freeway speeds, which was well below what a 90D or especially P90DL of the same era could get.

I am sorry but I put a 'Disagree' on your posting.

The Tesla X is purely a masterpiece on wheels!

I just think you are a pedant who likes bragging about throwing away $150k toys after using them once.

So, what about the new mandatory noise that EVs should have.

It seems you never used the BART or even used a recent laptop making coil whine noise.

What an unhelpful fanboy response.

Hi Guys,

Just want to share my recent experience with Tesla. I bought and returned 2019 Model X due to some high pitch sound in Cabin. I wrote my whole experience with some technical analysis here. For people who are thinking buying one, please definitely check out following post:

https://iexploresiliconvalley.com/2019/07/08/why-i-returned-my-2019-tesla-model-x/

As the owner of two Model X, and a Model S...I’ve only heard that type of whine once. It was on a loaner with a failing motor, but it would sound with acceleration and not with constant speed.

The typical whine of the motor isn’t as sharp as the one in your audio file, but I too along with other posters do not have a Raven refresh.

Its tough to hear if you varied your speed at all, it seems like you did slightly? But in the file the pitch never goes away. Most of my motor whines will vary based upon speed and pedal input so that doesn’t seem normal.

What an unhelpful fanboy response.

As the owner of two Model X, and a Model S...I’ve only heard that type of whine once. It was on a loaner with a failing motor, but it would sound with acceleration and not with constant speed.

The typical whine of the motor isn’t as sharp as the one in your audio file, but I too along with other posters do not have a Raven refresh.

Its tough to hear if you varied your speed at all, it seems like you did slightly? But in the file the pitch never goes away. Most of my motor whines will vary based upon speed and pedal input so that doesn’t seem normal.

Yes, I am familiar with acceleration sound and have no issue with it but 4kHz tone is very specific and pretty constant from speed 50mph to 80mph and never goes away. The problem is that once you have tune into it and its just hard to ignore it.

Good thing he returned the X before the shudder kicked in. I wonder what frequency that is at?

Simple fix according to the SC. Just make sure you set your adjustable suspension permanently to low. But don’t tow in low or you’ll risk damaging the car. If you do decide to tow and set it to standard, you may get the shudder. To avoid shudder if you must use standard, don’t use full throttle, accelerate hard, or use large amounts of torque. The car wasn’t designed to handle all the torque.

I’m bitter about my shudder.

Reactions: Varmint
Did Tesla tell you all this? In other words, to avoid the shudder, keep the car in chill mode?

Bingo.

But that’ll slow it, won’t 100% prevent it. Hard acceleration or acceleration under heavy load amplifies the problem. The issue is the design of the suspension geometry.

Disclaimer: I don’t know if the Raven (with the new dynamic shocks) is a suspension revamp or just a swap. So I don’t know if this is true for the newest models.