Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is my HPWC red instead of green?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpeg
Ive owned my Model X for two days. Used my HPWC three times. I just got home and instead of shining green it's shining red (see pic). Is this bad? What does it mean?

:(:(I switched the switch in the breaker installed next to the HPWC off and then on again. Tried that. Went to a moving green and my car charge port turned orange. My app showed it charging at a mere 16A.

I proceeded to unplug the charger and plug it back in and now it's working again. I'm at 72A.

Can anyone explain what happened? Or what I did wrong?

And of course I'm still in love :D in my Model X (even though it got its first scratch, totally my fault :()

It may go without saying, but just in case... If this happens more than once in a very great while, you should get the electrician back to fix things. Routinely clearing a detected electrical fault wouldn't be good.
What would you consider to be a "great while?"

It was installed about 10 days before I took delivery and installed by the Tesla recommended electricians. How many times does this need to happen until I should get the electricians back?

I have the same issue and I have contacted Tesla. Whenever power is applied, it goes through the startup sequence and finishes with a solid red light. The manual says, don't retry and contact Tesla immediately. They sent over an Electrician and the install was fine, but they were concerned about proper grounding at my main panel. They "addressed" the grounding, but it didn't help.

I can hold down the reset for 2 seconds and I get a green light too. However, the electrician's current plan is to get a new WC and swap it out. I'll wait and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I have the same issue and I have contacted Tesla. Whenever power is applied, it goes through the startup sequence and finishes with a solid red light. The manual says, don't retry and contact Tesla immediately. They sent over an Electrician and the install was fine, but they were concerned about proper grounding at my main panel. They "addressed" the grounding, but it didn't help.

I can hold down the reset for 2 seconds and I get a green light too. However, the electrician's current plan is to get a new WC and swap it out. I'll wait and see if that helps.
I'll see what happens this week and monitor it. If it continues to happen. I'll contact tesla.

I'll see what happens this week and monitor it. If it continues to happen. I'll contact tesla.

why dont you call your electrician and see if the L1, L2/N and GND are tightly screwed , had read on the forum someone had a similar problem and the it was loose screws on the conductors. Check dial settings on the left side to the correct breaker size you are using and make sure the DIP switch is DOWN (1) and UP (2) upload_2016-7-12_0-12-22.png