Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is price between 90d and 75d so high?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Price difference: it's worse than that in the sense that the actual 90D capacity is significantly less than 90kWh.

The 90kWh adds modules, while the 100kWh changes the configuration of the modules to pack in more cells.
So, we should expect that the increments are a bit different.

I don't know whether there's any difference in any associated power electronics between the options.

The 90 is not a limited 100 at this time, and is not expected to be for some time to come - you'll see the 75 change into something else if/when Tesla transitions to 100 modules for the rest.

The price disparity is a good question... The little bit of guidance Elon/Tesla gave us was that the 100 modules are significantly harder to build, so if anything I would have expected the opposite mismatch. For $3k or $5k, the 90>100 is an easy choice IMHO.

The 90 is not a limited 100 at this time, and is not expected to be for some time to come - you'll see the 75 change into something else if/when Tesla transitions to 100 modules for the rest.

The price disparity is a good question... The little bit of guidance Elon/Tesla gave us was that the 100 modules are significantly harder to build, so if anything I would have expected the opposite mismatch. For $3k or $5k, the 90>100 is an easy choice IMHO.

According to Electrek, the prices on all 100D will jump next week. https://electrek.co/2017/04/17/tesla-price-increases-100d-p100d/

If you're in the market for 100, you might want to pull the trigger now...

According to Electrek, the prices on all 100D will jump next week. https://electrek.co/2017/04/17/tesla-price-increases-100d-p100d/

If you're in the market for 100, you might want to pull the trigger now...

That's weird. S100D up $2500, SP100D up $6500, X100D up $1000 and XP100D up $9500?!?

There's no pattern I can see here, no reason for the student adjustment numbers (except maybe someone's perception of demand/take rate and profit?)

Historically Tesla has been relatively transparent and consistent in pricing; I'm disappointed to see them making what appear to be arbitrary adjustments now.

100D goes up $5000 on April 24, but included in the price increase is the forced inclusion of the air suspension, so it really is only going up $2500 unless you didn't want the air.

I'd look at the next week as a "sale". Take advantage if you want. I'm pulling the trigger by the end of the week on a 100D WITHOUT air. I'm only getting metallic paint and autopilot. Can't wait to get my $97,500 (after $1k referral credit) 100D.

After prices normalize for current lineup it will be:

75D: $74,500 ($288/mi of range)
90D: $87,500 ($298/mi of range includes added performance)
100D: $97,500 ($291/mi of range, includes air suspension and added performance)

Definitely the more you pay, the better a deal you get, with 75D being the budget sweet spot when it comes to range/$ and 100D being the performance and range value sweet spot. Only reason to get a 90D is if you just can't scrounge up that extra $10k....

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gowthamn
That's weird. S100D up $2500, SP100D up $6500, X100D up $1000 and XP100D up $9500?!?

There's no pattern I can see here, no reason for the student adjustment numbers (except maybe someone's perception of demand/take rate and profit?)

Historically Tesla has been relatively transparent and consistent in pricing; I'm disappointed to see them making what appear to be arbitrary adjustments now.

I believe Electrek wasn't too clear on the $2500 increase for 100D. It is actually a $5000 increase, but $2500 for anyone who was always going to order the air suspension.

Maybe they are planning on adding in some options as standard? Some are priced differently on the S and X, wheels and premium package for example. I could see them adding the biggest wheels as standard with the P100Ds, maybe even the premium package. And air suspension seems like it will be standard for the 100kWh Model Ses.

But if they really do it, or not, is anyones guess. It could be just price adjustment, it could be another sales hype, who knows...