Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the auto parking so bad? 8 Years later.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember my dad showing me the automatic parallel parking on his Mercedes five or six years ago. It did it on the first try (reversing into the spot, then moving slightly forward to center itself in the spot). I was really impressed. So yeah, I am sort of disappointed that Tesla doesn't have this figured out (I don't even have FSD, but I've seen how less-than-stellar it is from videos).

My personal thought is that when Tesla gets parking figured out they should make it part of standard Autopilot (not just FSD). I mean heck, the Toyota Prius which starts at $25k has it as a standard feature. The same goes for automatic lane changes, should be part of Autopilot, not FSD. Lots of cars these days come with lane-keep assist/adaptive cruise control (any car with Honda sensing does it -- my wife's Honda does a good job at staying in the center of the lane and going around curves on the highway). Yeah, I know this will piss off lots of people who paid for FSD, but I think people associate Teslas to be better at this stuff out of the box. FSD can be reserved for anything off highway, or navigate on autopilot, etc. In a number of years, Tesla will probably have to include the entire FSD suite of features as standard anyway as other manufacturers catch up.

Last edited:
Because it’s a really difficult programming project to accomplish using cameras. ...

If you think it’s easy, grab a keyboard and solve it for them. :)

I want this perfected also. We all do.
It’s new tech, that is difficult, and takes time, talent, and money.
You realize nearly every legacy manufacturer had better years ago?

So the ultrasonic sensors were added for the 2014 S.
My guess as to why Tesla doesn't put effort into improvement would be they can see how few use it. Now granted you could argue it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that nobody uses it because I it is crap.
My last car a Chevy SS had some parking feature I know it was supposed to be able to parallel park and such, in 2 years I never even tried it. Betting most folks feel the same.

So the ultrasonic sensors were added for the 2014 S.
My guess as to why Tesla doesn't put effort into improvement would be they can see how few use it. Now granted you could argue it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy that nobody uses it because I it is crap.
My last car a Chevy SS had some parking feature I know it was supposed to be able to parallel park and such, in 2 years I never even tried it. Betting most folks feel the same.
It is interesting that the supposed leader in FSD has one of the worst auto parks. Perhaps a function of not having the resources available to work on something that will ultimately be replaced by the end-product FSD?

On the same note, Tesla has inferior backup and blind spot HMI to similarly priced competition. This also makes some sense if the end goal is FSD and you’re resource constrained, but in the meantime it’s one of the many little things that give the competition a chance.

It is interesting that the supposed leader in FSD has one of the worst auto parks. Perhaps a function of not having the resources available to work on something that will ultimately be replaced by the end-product FSD?.

An FSD car will be required to be able to park itself though

Anyway- they ARE working on this- because it'd be required for Reverse Summon, which Elon replying to a question about it suggested would come quickly after the complete AP re-write is finished and released... (he said 2-4 months from early June- but of course his predictions about self-driving dates are about worthless)

Reactions: cicob and BlindPass
I think it’s both. A few more people might use it if it were reliably functional but I don’t think parking is ever going to be a thing that a lot of people feel they need assistance with. I’m not surprised that Tesla doesn’t invest in it although they should really be embarrassed.

For all the FSD believers, this thread is a good example of why your existing Tesla will never be a RoboTaxi for you or anyone else. Tesla is only a leader in FSD in their own marketing material. They can't even get things like Autopark and Lane-keep cruise control to work right with their setup after many years working on it. FSD is never coming boys. Maybe some future generation of hardware will do it, but not what we own.

An FSD car will be required to be able to park itself though

Anyway- they ARE working on this- because it'd be required for Reverse Summon, which Elon replying to a question about it suggested would come quickly after the complete AP re-write is finished and released... (he said 2-4 months from early June- but of course his predictions about self-driving dates are about worthless)
Agree, but perhaps the current “best” way to park doesn’t fit in with how FSD will eventually execute it?

Analogously, the competition has far better backup displays, cameras, and parking cues, but I get why resource constrained Tesla wouldn’t invest in that if they believe FSD is the future. Likewise with blindspot warnings. What’s better for humans is different than what’s optimal for the computer.

Outside of the superior acceleration, Tesla doesn’t seem to try to compete in the driver “experience“ features imo. Spartan interior with limited options. Nice single screen, but limited HMI otherwise.
Besides these aspects helping in cost-cutting (as they can’t subsidize production from ICE sales), it falls within the ethos of robo taxis and FSD. Why invest in things that make driving better if a main objective is to reduce ownership driving?

Reactions: Kweber!
I remember my dad showing me the automatic parallel parking on his Mercedes five or six years ago. It did it on the first try (reversing into the spot, then moving slightly forward to center itself in the spot). I was really impressed. So yeah, I am sort of disappointed that Tesla doesn't have this figured out (I don't even have FSD, but I've seen how less-than-stellar it is from videos).
The "parallel" parking as you describe, works quite well for me. I use it a lot and so far, it hasn't done anything stupid. The video describes perpendicular parking which is quite a different animal. I don't use it and have found it to be too unreliable for me. Also, I still get the indications at a traffic light with cars all around me that it is ready to park.

Reactions: RobbL