Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the charge port in the back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I don't know for certain, but let's say I doubt this
Many German cars have their fuel ports on the right side. I read somewhere that the reason is because there are roadside filling stations in Germany that allow you to essentially pull over to fill your car.

I found this article with the statistics I pasted below. For BMW, VW, Audi and Porsche it's virtually 100%. Interestingly, Mercedes is only 61%. Subaru is 100% but Toyota, Honda and Mazda are 0% and Nissan is 39% right fuel door.

1698075365691.png

You really believe this? Sorry, at this point it seems like you're making up excuses. Not unlike the people trying to justify the yoke.
People who lack the cognitive resources to understand how backing in is safer probably won’t be persuaded by this — but just more data points. weird how some people are blinded by their cognitive bias to not see the quite obvious wisdom in backing in most situations.

etc. google has a lot more

This whole matter of front in or back in seems to be gaining an importance way beyond what's appropriate

Maybe it is safer to reverse in (though I still think it's an individual case thing) but it's not like there are thousands of people run over in supermarket parking lots on a daily basis

Has anyone ever counted the number of cars that get clipped by people reversing into a slot without adequate visibility through the rear window?

Well if it was that dangerous, you'd think by now someone would have got sued into oblivion and all parking lots would only have single row stalls instead of double row stalls so that you only ever drove both IN and OUT going forwards and never reversed

After all, your own example says 12,000 people were injured by "vehicles backing up". It doesn't say whether the vehicles were backing OUT of a parking slot or INTO one. Just that the vehicle was reversing

. . . not that I want this to get personal or antagonistic anything - I have other bulleting boards for that lol. As a peace offering, I'm going to start giving your method a try

not thousands daily -- but 12k in 2015 for example
The section you quoted says 2018, rather than 2015, but that coincidental with what makes my point. It was only in 2018 that backup cameras became a requirement!

So this is one of those things where it is going to take many years for the real life statistics to shift and then the studies on the new data to start showing the new different results.

Having to get a line of sight from the middle of the car's cabin can have its angle blocked and be blind, where a backup camera on the back bumper is immune to that. It'll take time for the population of cars with backup cameras to propagate.

The section you quoted says 2018, rather than 2015, but that coincidental with what makes my point. It was only in 2018 that backup cameras became a requirement!

So this is one of those things where it is going to take many years for the real life statistics to shift and then the studies on the new data to start showing the new different results.

Having to get a line of sight from the middle of the car's cabin can have its angle blocked and be blind, where a backup camera on the back bumper is immune to that. It'll take time for the population of cars with backup cameras to propagate.

I have never been blinded pulling forward from between two parked cars, or pulling forward from between cars on either side of a stop light which is the same thing. The angle is just fine. That is simply a made up case that 1) rarely happens, 2) even I did park between two semi trailers, it is much preferable to pull forward being able to look directly rather than rely on a camera.

But I acknowledge the tremendous effort at grasping at straws. — the absurdity of the example to try to show how backing out is safer than driving forward out of a space just proves the case for backing in.

All the other experts and data and research that you ignored from the other cites prove it as well.

I get that it is hard to try new things and even scary for some and can actually cause them much suffering and anxiety and confirmation bias.

Last edited:
I have never been blinded pulling forward from between two parked cars, or pulling forward from between cars on either side of a stop light which is the same thing. The angle is just fine.
No it isn't. It's straight up geometry. There's an object in the way when you have to look from the middle of the car.

That is simply a made up case
It's definitely not. You don't get to deny people's actual experiences. I have had this frustrating thing happen many times, and it never happens (can't happen) when backing out.
1) rarely happens, 2) even I did park between two semi trailers,
No, most lifted pickup trucks and most SUVs cause it.
it is much preferable to pull forward being able to look directly rather than rely on a camera.
Preferable to NOT be able to see before pulling out rather than being able to see before pulling out? Nah, I'll take the other.
All the other experts and data and research that you ignored from the other cites prove it as well.
I didn't ignore it at all. I specifically agreed that all of the studies that have been done up until now are based on old data from the population of older cars that mostly DO NOT have backup cameras. It's like if studies were done about telephones back when most were landlines or on cameras when most were film. That data was what it was, and the studies will show what they did and how they were used. But as time shifts and phones generally means cell phones and cameras means digital ones, the data shifted and changed what studies show. We just haven't gotten to that point yet where the large data sets show the difference from enough cars with backup cameras yet.

Last edited:
all of the studies that have been done up until now are based on old data from the population of older cars that mostly DO NOT have backup cameras.

You didn’t even read the cites, and provide none of your own.

You also didn’t do the geometry. Backup cameras have a ~120 degree field of view, on a small screen. — try actually doing the real geometry and real effect of being able to process visual cues directly and from a small low resolution screen. Even if I got a magic 180 degree view from a backup camera, I’d rather look for myself directly un filtered and creep out slowly in the rare case that my view was blocked by semis or SUVs with blacked out windows or whatever fearful vehicles park next to you.

In any case only a 17% reduction: Effects of rearview cameras and rear parking sensors on police-reported backing crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Backup cameras have a ~120 degree field of view, on a small screen. — try actually doing the real geometry and real effect of being able to process visual cues directly and from a small low resolution screen. Even if I got a magic 180 degree view from a backup camera, I’d rather look for myself directly un filtered

but you're saying I should use the backup camera to back INTO the parking slot instead of OUT OF it

And there's a lot less room for error IN the slot then there is OUT OF it