Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why no Supercharger pricing signs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gasoline and almost every other retail sale requires an advertised price to be displayed. Why is Tesla exempt? Thinking that as they open to non-Tesla vehicles and we get CCS1 adapters in North America everyone will have a choice of where to charge and will want easy comparisons.

Yes, it is in the in-car maps and apps but a sign is what we notice.

Gasoline and almost every other retail sale requires an advertised price to be displayed. Why is Tesla exempt? Thinking that as they open to non-Tesla vehicles and we get CCS1 adapters in North America everyone will have a choice of where to charge and will want easy comparisons.

Yes, it is in the in-car maps and apps but a sign is what we notice.

Do people actually drive around looking at signs to decide which station to fuel at?

I thought I was relatively frugal, but I never once did this. I simply went to whichever station was more convenient.

Reactions: sewing1 and krsgio
I wish they would and not just Tesla. Lots of third-party DC chargers have crazy rate structures and apps to use them. This should be simplified and posted to make things simple for drivers.

I also feel like there is a giant conspiracy with the third-party charger makers using intentionally flawed credit card readers to get people to install their apps. I've never had my credit card fail to be read at a gas station but I've never succeeded with charging my car on a chademo using my credit card. It always fails which causes me to have to install their app or get an RFID. I think this is by design and should be investigated by regulators.

I also feel like there is a giant conspiracy with the third-party charger makers using intentionally flawed credit card readers to get people to install their apps. I've never had my credit card fail to be read at a gas station but I've never succeeded with charging my car on a chademo using my credit card. It always fails which causes me to have to install their app or get an RFID. I think this is by design and should be investigated by regulators.
I don't think I will get onto the conspiracy train there, but that is interesting. At gas stations, it's always slick and works fine. When I tried to use the credit card reader at the CHAdeMO station in McDermitt, NV, it had this awful grinding noise, like the inside of the slot was lined with sandpaper, and of course it wouldn't work.

Reactions: lynyrdM
There is a new regulation by the State of California that will require revenue grade metering and pricing and dispensed volume display for EV charging. However, the compliance dates have not arrived yet. However, new Superchargers installed after Jan 1, 2023 will have to comply with the measurement accuracy and local price and dispensed energy display requirements.

ChargePoint has a nice summary blog here:

Do people actually drive around looking at signs to decide which station to fuel at?

I thought I was relatively frugal, but I never once did this. I simply went to whichever station was more convenient.
Are you asking about gas signs?

It's been over 10 years since I've actively gone to gas stations, but yes, I absolutely did this! I would either take a quick scan of the prices in a particular area (sometimes literally across the street), or I would pay attention to the price of gas each day as I drove past the station on the way to work and once I worked out the pattern, I would fill up on the day I noticed a drop in the price.

Gas back then was climbing to levels that it's back up to today (but in 2011 dollars) and a fill up was running over $50. So yeah, I didn't waste an opportunity to save a buck or two by trying to save 5 to 10 cents/gallon. That whole game, silly as it may seem for just a couple of bucks, is one of the reasons I wanted to get out of buying as and switch to electric.

I didn't go out of my way to find the absolute best deal in town, but yeah, if there were 10 gas stations along the ride home, for sure I'd pick one of the cheaper ones.

That said, when it comes to Superchargers (and other DC fast chargers), I don't think we're yet at the point where I need a sign to tell me how much it's going to be. For one thing, most of my charging is at home, so if I'm using a DC fast charger, I'm pretty much guaranteed to be on a road trip. And when I'm on a road trip, I don't have a huge choice about where to plug in. My charging stops are pretty much determined for me by my car's range and where the stations are on my route. Maybe some day there will be multiple choices at every exit, but for now, I'm a bit of a captive customer.

Reactions: Rocky_H
It will be hard to have a price on a sign as pricing it's always simple.
Some charging has a session fee then a per kWh fee. Some have a session fee then a per-minute fee that may or may not have tiers.

Some chargers have a rate for members, another rate for using the app, and yet another rate for using a credit card.

Next, we have to get into the time of charge rates. It could be $0.25 per kWh until 16:00 then jump to $0.75 per kWh (The electricity at my house moves from $0.05 to $0.22 at 16:00). You could see this in an app, but it would be hard to communicate on a sign that could be viewed from the street.

Until we have an easy simple uniform standards like we do with gas it's going to be hard to create simple signs.

Reactions: mociaf9 and MP3Mike

This is definitely a thing. Most people I know do this. I never really did since unless there was an absurd price difference, we were usually talking a $2-5 difference for a full tank regardless.