TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why Tesla Supercharger sites should be more like airport lounges

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by AGCF, Sep 19, 2016.

1. AGCF

AGCF Member

I think the next step for Tesla Supercharger network should be adding a lounge at every site, starting with the most busy ones. Charging an EV is not like filling up an ICE. The service at gas stations is optimized for a 5 minute stop. Not 20-60 mins like most SC stops are. Charging at the SC in a cross county journey is much more like spending time at an airport between flights. In the 50 years of the jet age, airport lounges has developed creating a tranquil environment for relaxation, business, a small bite or a larger meal. As the model 3 starts to conquer the market corporate employees traveling maybe 400 miles a day, people will require more than gas stations and fast food restaurants. I think Tesla should consider building business lounges with a pay per visit or pay per month system like airport lounges.

What do you think?

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. byan1232

byan1232 Member

I agree with your point but I think it's highly unlikely that Tesla would do something like that. The reason is that Tesla is tight on cash already and adding this is unnecessary compared to spending it on Model 3 production, R&D, etc.

We do have really comfortable cars to sit in while we wait :p

• Helpful x 1
  3. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

It would be a nice idea for superchargers that don't have any nearby facilities. The ones at Tesla stores are basically like this already, when they are open at least. And many other ones have lots of nearby options already.

4. number12

number12 Member

Would there be access cards or just a full out Homeless shelter?

• Dislike x 2
    • Funny x 2
  5. AGCF

AGCF Member

They sure are busy and their money is to :) But I guess in a future with ten times the yearly output of Tesla cars, at least so many would request and pay for lounges that it would be profitable even for a third party company. One that already is running a similar business maybe.

• Like x 1
  6. AGCF

AGCF Member

At least access cards is a minimum :) Don't want crazy cat ladies in there

• Dislike x 1
  7. roblab

roblab Active Member

The idea of a "lounge" is not all that exciting to me. I usually arrive at a charger with around 10%, and the charger gives me max, near 400 miles of range per hour, so it says. Since the next charger is about a two hour drive away, I usually charge to get 150 miles and head out again. Most everybody has learned that the car charges faster with a near empty battery and that charge tapers down considerably as it fills. What this means is that my 120 mile charge is done in 20 or less minutes. By the time I have used the restroom and grabbed a snack, I might have a couple minutes to plan my next trip leg on the center screen, or maybe spray and wipe the bugs off the front. But no way do I need to sit around for an hour. A lounge needs maintenance, and I am adverse to paying for someone else's need to loaf.

I do 400 miles a day easily on trips. About 200 starting at full (freeway speeds) and a couple jumps of 100 miles each or so. Before supercharger commonality, I would drive 460 miles with one stop, but three stops are faster and easier. But Sweden is probably a lot different.

• Like x 4
  8. No2DinosaurFuel

What they need is more superchargers for the incoming flood of Model 3 cars. Also up the charge current to get people in and out faster if possible.

• Like x 1
  9. Owner

Owner Active Member

If you have nothing else to do, get out and take a short walk. Sitting around even more has little appeal.

• Like x 3
  10. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

Yep. I'd take more supercharger locations with nothing by them and make the extra stops for restrooms and the like myself. I know the midwest is basically the middle of nowhere, but there are still a lot of places that are sketchy to reach or require far out of the way routes. Rest stops on interstates seem like great places to have them, but I haven't seen that outside of Florida. Being it's a no-brainer I assume most states would make that difficult or impossible, so I understand.

11. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

If anything, I would say that Tesla will go the other way. They're building SCs now because they needed to break the chicken/egg stalemate. Once that's fully broken and the market starts to ramp up construction of private charging stations then Tesla will likely sell off or spin off the supercharger system as a separate business.

I do believe that private fast-charging stations will eventually become quite elaborate. But it won't be Tesla doing it.

12. AGCF

AGCF Member

I think when you pull up to a SC in a few years you would stop right by the service complex and the car summons to the best charger available. When its ready it leaves the charger to hold in a parking space until you call it back to the pick up zone of the service complex. And the complex would offer more than a fast food restaurant. Ceartainly a lounge in the busiest highway routes. Here in europe most sites are not inviting you to take a walk, but that is defintly something I would like

13. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Well the Seaside, CA (Monterey) SC is like this. Snacks, drinks, couches, 24x7 coded access to bathrooms, TV and internet. The only complaint is it's a bit dark. And they only have 4 stalls.

• Like x 1
  14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

How about, instead of Tesla doing this, an entrepreneur does this and then leases a portion of the parking lot to Tesla to install Superchargers? Seems like a win-win.

• Like x 3
  15. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I think that the majority of SpCs see little usage and in order for your idea to be feasible it would need to be able to generate return on the investment necessary to build out such places. many of the SpCs are usually near places to grab a bite to eat, and the placement of the SpCs is a partnership between tesla and the property owner. the incentive to the property owner is the added traffic the SpC brings and using more Sq. footage to build a place for these lounges is contrary to many of the property owners motives.

16. number12

number12 Member

Two dislikes and counting... Public open lounge... Do you who dislike my comment suggest tesla have a 24-7 employee or a employee when it's open at a cost of 30-50k a year or just have it open air conditioned space with no restrictions ?

17. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Personally, I don't much care about lounging, just essential facilities. As long as I can use a bathroom and buy food and drinks, I'm happy. Sitting down is usually the last thing I want to do after driving for a couple of hours, and if I do want to sit, my car is a perfectly good place to do it. But when I pull up to a Supercharger and there's no place to take a whizz, that irritates me.

In any case, I think existing businesses can probably do this better than Tesla can, and Tesla should just try to choose sites near them. A decent coffee shop pretty much checks all the boxes here, as long as they're actually open.

18. number12

number12 Member

What's the cost of a supercharger ? Ie if you own a business can you just choose to I stll one or is that teslas call and then they pay for it? Or do they split the cost etc

19. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I have no real info to back this up but I assume that tesla provides the hardware and pays for the power while the property owner provides the space and the site maintenance.

20. No2DinosaurFuel

Yeah I think supercharging stations should have at least a bathroom. I am not talking about the local businesses there but a dedicated one where only tesla owners can use. I hate to arrive early/late before things open and not having a place to go.