Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why the frunk shrunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was very disappointed when I saw that. The size difference is substantial.

Getting the 60 (non-D) I was really looking forward to using the drunk but now I don't see myself using it much. Looks like it can fit one small carry on bag or maybe a few bags of groceries.

Thanks guys. I am sure you are right. And I agree with Buddy, I was looking forward to that spot for my golf clubs, and perhaps on a road trip, a spare tire. Oh well, if I ever drive through a bio hazzard, I'm covered. Give and take.

• Funny
Reactions: Mickie
The huge frunk on the original RWD S was a really awesome feature.

I wonder how difficult it would be to modify a new refreshed RWD 60 or 75 to a larger frunk size. The air ducts for the HEPA filter would have to be replaced with parts for a classic S. The 12 V battery would likely have to be relocated also. It was a huge PIA to service the 12 V in the classic RWD cars, so instead of moving the 12 V back to the classic location, maybe replace it with a physically smaller Li-ion 12 V battery.

GSP

how will I transport my son or provide a play area?
KjRNqbG.jpg

e2JphW8.jpg

I too love the frunk on our RWD car. I suspect they weren't very popular to use though. Between issues with the latch, and folks worrying about creasing the hood I think alot of people got scared off. It's a shame, between the smaller frunk and the center console, the redesign is significanlty less useful for our family.

Although I believe that if you skip the Biohazard Defense option, the car still comes with the smaller frunk.

So, yup, fleet commonality.
I think it's actually because they needed the space to put the hardware for the range extender. I don't want to spoil the surprise but just wanted to state that I think this feature will be unveiled within the next 6-9 months... : Patent US8180512 - Efficient dual source battery pack system for an electric vehicle
Just when other car manufacturers think they've caught up, Tesla will come up with a 700+ miles range car. Musk is not kidding when he says Tesla will be a Trillion dollars company...

Very interesting link.

I'm guessing that the alt-chemistry of the second battery is necessary for it to withstand long periods at a high SOC.

Of course, given that the date is 2012, it's possible that Tesla may have out-innovated this patent already with their move to the 21700 cell format etc.

It was a huge loss of function. I have to think they had some internal discussion about the safety issue of the crush zone that was crash tested empty and then customers could fill it with solid objects like spare tires.

I have a new S60 and missed out on the big frunk. I would consider a retrofit if the HEPA filter could be replaced with the old filter style. I don't care about it, but did check the premium interior box for other reasons.