Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why use a lead acid 12V battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the number of batteries they have had to change under warranty, taking labor into account, I would have thought the economic equation would have favored a more durable battery, particularly given the difficult access to it in the earlier cars like mine.

Never gets below 7 degrees in Sydney! There are lithium batteries sold here for boats. They are a drop in item if your charger can cope with their voltage requirements and you are prepared to pay the cost. No one here talks of temperature management.

Never gets below 7 degrees in Sydney! There are lithium batteries sold here for boats. They are a drop in item if your charger can cope with their voltage requirements and you are prepared to pay the cost. No one here talks of temperature management.

Maybe Tesla doesn't make vehicles just to sell in Sydney so that's why they go with lead acid?

Goes down to -35 degrees here in Saskatchewan every winter, sometimes -40.

Well, the whole of Southern Europe, Significant parts of Asia, significant parts of the Southern USA, all have "human" temperatures. -40? WTF. Are humans meant to live in conditions like that?

The polar bears have the right idea. Eat anything and everything and put on as much weight as you want in summer. Get pregnant at the end of summer, then go sleep it all off during winter and emerge svelte and with kids in tow without suffering cold, pregnancy or dieting!! Are they telling humans something, or what!!

Seems to me the battery issues were resolved when they switched to AGMs. 52.000 miles and almost 2.5 yrs on my car and not a single battery issue. Plus, I have the REUS sound upgrade and a dashcam running 24/7 so my electrical load on the 12V battery is probably larger than average.

• Helpful
Reactions: Commuter
Seems to me the battery issues were resolved when they switched to AGMs. 52.000 miles and almost 2.5 yrs on my car and not a single battery issue. Plus, I have the REUS sound upgrade and a dashcam running 24/7 so my electrical load on the 12V battery is probably larger than average.

They were not resolved. AGM battery replaced here. Now they are using some other new tech. ..
Solutions to the 12V battery,

1. Don't over-tax the 12v battery so much,
2. Replace it with a li-ion,
3. or a bigger battery, or
4. Make it user-replaceable like my garage door opener. .. but with the front end refresh they've made it much more complex to replace the battery. Not like it was easy before that.

Last edited:
I'm going a different way and will use a battery tender whenever the car is parked at the house. This will reduce the discharge cycles and should let the battery live much longer.

I've had a CTEK 7002 tender for my classic car for years and it has done a great job, so I just ordered a second one for the Tesla. It's beefy for a tender at 7A so it will keep the 12V battery charged even with the vampire drain. I'm thinking having the tender hooked up I won't lose any range over night either which is a bonus.

• Funny
Reactions: mobe