Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satonic Soft Close Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody have experience with the new Satonic Soft Close Frunk kit? From what I can see, the soft close mechanism doesn't involve the latch spring or cable. Supposedly, the mechanism closes the hood and then releases. I would assume this would reduce any issues about the hood getting stuck.

I ordered from Catronics. They called it a "limiter" and said "it can make installation position more accurate". So i guess it helps the latch line up with the frunk lock?
This is my understanding of "metal patch" or "gasket" and "limiter."

Attachments

• SCLockMods.jpg
    SCLockMods.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
Here's another thread for the Satonic. Note, one user had to remove their wheel housing to open their frunk.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Here's another thread for the Satonic. Note, one user had to remove their wheel housing to open their frunk.

It was both wheels, the fender liners, and the underbody tray...and it sucked!

Upvote 0
I didnt install the "patch" although he recommends it. I still have no idea what it does. Seems to be working fine without it.
The same. I tested it with and without the patch. No difference. The only thing I noticed was the patch falling into the latch spring catch when the latch released. It didn't seem right. If anything it should have retracted along side the latch spring, not fall into the spring catch. But I'm not the designer of the lock.

Upvote 0
The same. I tested it with and without the patch. No difference. The only thing I noticed was the patch falling into the latch spring catch when the latch released. It didn't seem right. If anything it should have retracted along side the latch spring, not fall into the spring catch. But I'm not the designer of the lock.
The metal patch improves the auto close function when you open and leave it to close for 90sec

Upvote 0
Hey guys so I bought and installed the Futhope version of the Soft Close Frunk. It is the type 2 version of their module.

The install was pretty straight forward and I've been testing the auto close after 90s a few times a day during this past week since I installed a few days ago and so far no issues.

I'm reading about the failure from the Satonic version and it got me worried since the Futhope version doesn't have an emergency cable. But I heard you still use the OEM method of using a 9v battery?

Can anyone who knows more about this let me know if the Futhope Type 2 design would have the same potential issue that the Satonic version did?

This is the exact one I bought.

Upvote 0
Hey guys so I bought and installed the Futhope version of the Soft Close Frunk. It is the type 2 version of their module.

The install was pretty straight forward and I've been testing the auto close after 90s a few times a day during this past week since I installed a few days ago and so far no issues.

I'm reading about the failure from the Satonic version and it got me worried since the Futhope version doesn't have an emergency cable. But I heard you still use the OEM method of using a 9v battery?

Can anyone who knows more about this let me know if the Futhope Type 2 design would have the same potential issue that the Satonic version did?

Upvote 0

From what I can tell from the picture on the Type 2, it looks like the motor orientation will require a worm gear to turn the cable spool and that will prevent the cable from being able to be pulled out manually. If this is the case, it will likely have the same issue as the Satonic if it fails in the retracted position.

You could test this with the frunk open and access to the power cable, by triggering the unit to the retracted position, interrupting the power before it releases the latch, then seeing if you can pull the cable up by hand.

Upvote 0

On the bench, I was able to relatively easily pull out the Tlyard cable when I killed the power to it. When installed, the OEM latch motor released the latch when the power to the Tlyard was disconnected. @johnnyruz posted that the OEM latch successfully released when the "Tlyard" cable was pulled down and power disconnected. So, if the Futhope is the same as the "Tlyards" then it should hopefully act the same.

Upvote 0

Can you post a pix of the Futhope?

Upvote 0
I can't post a link without it getting verified by a mod but if you go to aliexpress and search for "Futhope soft close I see two items for sale within the first row. The one for $81.89 is type 2 and you can see the pics of the unit there. The other for $77.01 is type 1 and it looks the same as the Tlyard unit?

Upvote 0
I can't post a link without it getting verified by a mod but if you go to aliexpress and search for "Futhope soft close I see two items for sale within the first row. The one for $81.89 is type 2 and you can see the pics of the unit there. The other for $77.01 is type 1 and it looks the same as the Tlyard unit?
I ordered from catronics navmaker on aliexpress and it was $78 and it's identical to the tlyard unit as shown in some of their review photo and comes with the white plastic hole insert and metal patch. I'm sure all of them are the same

Upvote 0