Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satonic Soft Close Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody have experience with the new Satonic Soft Close Frunk kit? From what I can see, the soft close mechanism doesn't involve the latch spring or cable. Supposedly, the mechanism closes the hood and then releases. I would assume this would reduce any issues about the hood getting stuck.

I had the same thought on the security side. Will give it some more thought but I still like the idea of a manual release cable. Maybe there is somewhere better to tuck one?

If the frunk was stuck, is there a way to get at the latch from underneath the car or elsewhere (with the assumption that you have to take a few things apart) to be able to reach up there)?
I did get a bicycle shifter cable to work as a manual release for the OEM latch. A shifter cable has a smaller capture button on the end of the cable and fits well in the OEM spring catch. The only problem I had was how to securely attach the cable to the latch bracket. The one shown in the Hansshow product is a good solution. If they sold that separately, it would be an easy solution. But, you still have the security issue.

Reactions: audiohs
Upvote 0
On my Model X that they DON'T make this product for I recently installed the full Automatic Frunk kit so I don't have to close the lid myself. The X doesn't have the electric wires coming out that you can short to a 9V battery and get into the frunk, it has some red pulls that you have to get at by removing the wheel well so not something a thief will do, but I bet a thief WOULD carry a 9V battery. It's not like the roads are not PACKED with Tesla 3/Y's these days.

In the process of the install I tried to tug on the red emergency release pulls to see how they work and of course they are not meant to be pulled from the top so I busted one. The tech told me I need the whole new mechanism and to pull apart the front of the car to install it. I figure I'll wait until I get locked out and then pay the money. In the short term I have a MUCH more secure frunk than one that can be popped with a 9V

Upvote 0
I have heard that rumor, I wonder if it's true. The manual doesn't say that it only opens when there's no 12v power, but I just tried it with an extra 12v battery and the frunk didn't pop, of course that could just mean that my wiring is screwed up as I didn't try it with a dead Tesla battery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have heard that rumor, I wonder if it's true. The manual doesn't say that it only opens when there's no 12v power, but I just tried it with an extra 12v battery and the frunk didn't pop, of course that could just mean that my wiring is screwed up as I didn't try it with a dead Tesla battery.
The frunk is only supposed to open if there is no power to the car and you connect a 9V.

Its not like you can walk up to a healthy car, connect a battery and pop the frunk. It needs to be having issues.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
The manual doesn't say that it only opens when there's no 12v power,
Sure it does: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-34181E3A-B4A7-4658-906A-38C6647B5664.html

Screenshot_20240112_185513_Edge.jpg

Upvote 0
Well if the doors are unlocked they could open it from the inside so that isn't a security concern.
I think the point is that you can still have 12v power and use a 9v battery to open frunk if the car is unlocked. But of course, why would you....just use the screen ... just a test. I'm not gonna try it, but I bet you can not open the funk with a 9v battery when car is locked and there is 12VDC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On my Model X that they DON'T make this product for I recently installed the full Automatic Frunk kit so I don't have to close the lid myself. The X doesn't have the electric wires coming out that you can short to a 9V battery and get into the frunk, it has some red pulls that you have to get at by removing the wheel well so not something a thief will do, but I bet a thief WOULD carry a 9V battery. It's not like the roads are not PACKED with Tesla 3/Y's these days.

In the process of the install I tried to tug on the red emergency release pulls to see how they work and of course they are not meant to be pulled from the top so I busted one. The tech told me I need the whole new mechanism and to pull apart the front of the car to install it. I figure I'll wait until I get locked out and then pay the money. In the short term I have a MUCH more secure frunk than one that can be popped with a 9V
A thief is just going to break your window, regardless if you have visible items.

Upvote 0
I finally got information from Tlyard about the "metal patch" or "gasket" that is now included in the soft closing lock kit. It is being marketed as an improvement to the lock by numerous companies selling the kit. Apparently, it is to improve the 90 second self-locking feature, if for some reason the frunk is accidently opened.

Upvote 0
I finally got information from Tlyard about the "metal patch" or "gasket" that is now included in the soft closing lock kit. It is being marketed as an improvement to the lock by numerous companies selling the kit. Apparently, it is to improve the 90 second self-locking feature, if for some reason the frunk is accidently opened.
I ordered from Catronics. They called it a "limiter" and said "it can make installation position more accurate". So i guess it helps the latch line up with the frunk lock?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0