Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why you should skip the powered frunk and grab a Satonic soft close frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you were first trying to open the frunk, is it possible that the water was frozen in the cable housing, immobilizing the cable? At least for the Tlyard unit that johnnyruz tested, it doesn't sound like a dead motor or electronics would impede the cable from releasing. Is the cable free to move now that everything is melted?

100% not possible since the car was at 55F overnight. The Satonic cable was under tension and had to be cut in order to release the hood.

Reactions: KevinT3141
100% not possible since the car was at 55F overnight. The Satonic cable was under tension and had to be cut in order to release the hood.

I played around a bit with my not yet installed Satonic V1 and found that the cable can not be extended or retracted by hand, leading me to believe that the cable spool must be geared instead of direct drive like the Tlyard design (as tested by johnnyruz). This would explain why the cable still had tension when failing in the retracted position. Hopefully you can confirm once you complete your teardown.

I played around a bit with my not yet installed Satonic V1 and found that the cable can not be extended or retracted by hand, leading me to believe that the cable spool must be geared instead of direct drive like the Tlyard design (as tested by johnnyruz). This would explain why the cable still had tension when failing in the retracted position. Hopefully you can confirm once you complete your teardown.
This is my experience as well with Satonic v1, that if I cutoff power at the end of pull cycle, the cable can’t be manually pulled to release the tension. Also, once installed, the end of pull cycle actually pulls the frunk hood well below the flush position. So, it will be very difficult to wedge something into the gap between frunk hood and bumper without damaging either.
Therefore, I fully expect it to fail one day at the worst possible time (Murphy’s law). I have put a long zip tie on the cable so that I can grab and pull it from wheel well and cut it. I may even remove it if the risk seems too high for the convenience it provides.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Therefore, I fully expect it to fail one day at the worst possible time (Murphy’s law). I have put a long zip tie on the cable so that I can grab and pull it from wheel well and cut it. I may even remove it if the risk seems too high for the convenience it provides.
Sounds like a good idea. Do you think you can actually reach the cable from the wheel well? It doesn't seem like the cable has a lot of slack.

Reactions: zoomer0056
This is my experience as well with Satonic v1, that if I cutoff power at the end of pull cycle, the cable can’t be manually pulled to release the tension. Also, once installed, the end of pull cycle actually pulls the frunk hood well below the flush position. So, it will be very difficult to wedge something into the gap between frunk hood and bumper without damaging either.

Knowing what I know now, that's what I would do if I were to reinstall the same V1. With this specific failure all you need to do is cut the Satonic cable which is accessible from the driver wheel well. The motor itself is mounted low enough that you can grab it. Easy fix now that we know what's going on. My biggest concern is that the motor could fail at any time. The level of annoyance could range from a pair of shoes being trapped to the inability to access groceries or charging cables.

Sounds like a good idea. Do you think you can actually reach the cable from the wheel well? It doesn't seem like the cable has a lot of slack.

I can't speak to the other kits out there, but the Satonic kit doesn't have much length. You can see it in my install photo below.

IMG_2844.jpg

I think I'm going to return my Satonic and get a Tlyard style one. The failure mode is kinda ridiculous. Even the newer Satonics with the manual release are less than ideal since some sort of intervention is still needed to deal with a failure.

If Satonic warranties my unit I will reinstall the new one. Knowing what I know now I'll do a few things:

- design an emergency latch for the Tesla latch failure case (unrelated, but if I'm in there)
- know that if the Satonic fails, I can just cut the cable
- ACTUALLY weatherproof the control box and wires

Reactions: audiohs
design an emergency latch for the Tesla latch failure case (unrelated, but if I'm in there)

I’m still working on the video just to show how my version handles the failures, but I had thought about adding another failsafe of trying to splice some wires directly into the motor connections and running them to the tow eye cover with the factory frunk release cables. They would be connected so that when applying power the soft-close frunk motor would run in reverse to retract the cable, bypassing the control box and fuse. Obviously if the cause of the lock-up is a total failure of the motor this wouldn't work, but if the motor is otherwise OK and has just lost power or popped the fuse it could work to release the tension and allow you to open the hood.

I’m still working on the video just to show how my version handles the failures, but I had thought about adding another failsafe of trying to splice some wires directly into the motor connections and running them to the tow eye cover with the factory frunk release cables. They would be connected so that when applying power the soft-close frunk motor would run in reverse to retract the cable, bypassing the control box and fuse. Obviously if the cause of the lock-up is a total failure of the motor this wouldn't work, but if the motor is otherwise OK and has just lost power or popped the fuse it could work to release the tension and allow you to open the hood.
Hansshow has a YT video about troubleshooting the latch motor.
. They show how a simple polarity reversal releases the cable. As you suggest, tapping into the latch motor power connections would be a partial failsafe for the Hansshow type soft close (assuming the motor hasn't seized}. Running a two line connector to the tow hood plug should be fairly easy to do.

Hansshow has a YT video about troubleshooting the latch motor.
. They show how a simple polarity reversal releases the cable. As you suggest, tapping into the latch motor power connections would be a partial failsafe for the Hansshow type soft close (assuming the motor hasn't seized}. Running a two line connector to the tow hood plug should be fairly easy to do.

I never realized how hard it was to say, "red" or "black". :p