Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife is afraid to use frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not that I recommend or promise the same results but I use my frunk all the time and close it with one hand, I just push down on the T logo... my wife just kinda slams it no problems so far. I think we would have an issue if I closed it from the far left or right, it takes some force to close and the frunk lid does look flimsy.

I pretty much do this, one hand smack dab in the middle where the T lines up and its worked well so far. I use the trunk and find that a 20lb propane tank fits nicely in there and has minimal movement when transporting it to get filled ;)

Reactions: Rogue one
But a screwdriver, a 9 volt battery and a couple of seconds and they are in your frunk. At least you don’t have to replace a window.

Well, fortunately the prolific thieves around here haven't yet attended the trm2 School of Vehicle Break-ins. :p I have yet to hear of break-in victims reporting their frunk was popped in addition to shattered rear quarter glass.

Can you describe this method a bit more?

I’ll give it a shot. When trunk is open, reach-up with your palms facing you. There are indents on the inside of the trunk lid that are like handles. Pull-down quickly on these and let-go so the momentum slams the trunk closed. So, you’re closing the trunk without touching the paint.

In my frunk, I keep all of my charging equipment and a tool bag with various wrenches and sockets in it.
  • 25 foot extension cord
  • gen 2 UMC
  • all 8 gen 2 UMC adapters
  • homemade quick 240 volt setup (plugs into two 120 volt circuits on separate legs and spits out 240 volts)
  • tool bag
  • caution tape (for marking out-of-order Superchargers)
  • zip ties
I open the frunk maybe once or twice a week - more if we're on a road trip and are using the UMC for charging.

I use one hand sideways at the bottom edge of the lid where the outside sheet metal and the inside are seamed. Put pressure anywhere above the "T" and you can feel the aluminum deflecting, so I'm sure there have been those who dented the panel. Personally, I'm not in favor of slamming anything to close it.

We both use the frunk daily. No problems yet.
  • Lower the hood (no need to be super careful/gentle, but just set it down rather than letting it free-fall).
  • Palms to the left and right of the tesla logo, and an inch or two up.
  • Press down firmly.
Show her once or twice and it'll be second nature.

Last edited:
I used the two handed method that Tesla described and on the second day I dented the hood (indentation on right side of the emblem). I’ll be having it fixed hopefully via PDR. My plan forward is to never use the front trunk unless absolutely necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I don't use the Frunk on my Model S very often at all b.c I am worried of denting the hood, just like the OPs wife.

if I run out of space in the MS's hatchback, I might use it, and am glad I have it. but it's too risky to constantly use since I might absentmindedly not close it gently enough and damage the hood.

not worth the risk IMHO.

Reactions: Dre78
Don’t use it regularly but it comes in handy on long trips or when hauling lots of stuff.

Also, thieves can’t open it in a quick smash n’ grab so a better location for camera equipment or laptop than the trunk.

I don’t know enough about the model 3 frunk, but the s/x frunk have an emergency release cable that is accessible from
Outside the vehicle. So that makes the frunk the absolute worst place to store something valuable.