Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi... the saga continues

Does your M3's WiFi work consistently at home?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've posted my frustrations with the Wifi in the past and my car even had it's "connectivity board" replaced to "fix" the problem. After the fix, it connected so I pretty much forgot about Wifi issues and moved on. Since I know new updates are coming, I thought I'd check in on my Wifi. When I pull into my garage (which has a strong signal with 2 of our home Wifi's), nothing. It stays on LTE. When I click on Wifi, sometimes is actually "off" which is odd, since I've had it set to be on. If I turn it on, it says "connecting" and just cycles for a couple of minutes then nothing... showing LTE only. WTH? Has anyone else experienced this? Any solution?

Got it! How would I know if I have the most updated maps?
It does it silently in the background so you wouldn't know if had been updated or not. But you will get a prompt if it doesn't update, telling you to join a WiFi network so maps can be downloaded.

Or you can monitor network traffic on your router to see if your car is downloading huge files.

Have you tried removing and re-adding the network from the WiFi settings? Is your SSID hidden? What are your network settings? Using WPA2 I hope. Is this a 2.4 or 5GHz network? Any problems connecting with another device in your garage? Have you tried rebooting your wireless access point? Is the access point running the latest firmware?

If I turn it on, it says "connecting" and just cycles for a couple of minutes then nothing... showing LTE only. WTH? Has anyone else experienced this? Any solution?
I think this is common, its something that is talked about quite a bit in the past. My car does the exact same thing.

I have had my S for 2.5 years, I have never been able to lock onto my WIFI visibly, manually ever in front of me. Although it gets/got updates in the past, lately though I wonder if updates are not coming. This past weekend I tried everything in the book to get it to manually lock onto WIFI.

It won't do it that way. I have to assume it does it at night on its own, or its not doing it at all. Updating used to come by LTE, then at some point I read all future updates come by WIFI only.

Its a stumper. Version 9 of which Model 3 already runs only came to me via scheduled service it was in for back in November, later than most people got it.

Reactions: enolam and Magnets!
My advice is to directly wire your wifi equipment if it is not. Some people use wireless access points in repeater mode, and they aren't the best. Even if you have to use powerline ethernet equipment to wire wifi access points to the network. Try to connect to 2.4 GHz, I don't know if the car can see 5Ghz or not, but I still see lots of products that don't have a 5GHz radio in them. My son's Nintendo Switch wouldn't connect to 5GHz, and we had to put it on 2.4.

Do you live in a dense housing complex? If so, try driving to a parking lot and connecting your car to your phone or another hotspot. I have seen people jamming Wifi signal in dense housing situations. Sometimes you could connect, and other times you could not connect. This person didn't realize what they were doing to their neighbors when I finally tracked this person down.

• Funny
Reactions: enolam and MMBTUS
Oldschool above is correct. Model 3 is not like your phone or other devices that lock onto and stay on wifi 24/7. The computer wakes up and connects when it needs to otherwise it is on LTE. If the wifi radio remained on 24/7 people would be whining about phantom drain.

Reactions: enolam
Oldschool above is correct. Model 3 is not like your phone or other devices that lock onto and stay on wifi 24/7. The computer wakes up and connects when it needs to otherwise it is on LTE. If the wifi radio remained on 24/7 people would be whining about phantom drain.

I don't think there's merit to this argument. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that staying latched to a short-range radio like WiFi must consume less or about the same amount of energy as staying connected to a remote LTE tower. Furthermore, given how little energy a phone spends on staying connected to WiFi, surely a Tesla can afford to stay connected all the time. Even if it chose not to remain connected to WiFi, phones connect to and disconnect from WiFi all the time, it's not exactly a challenge.

I don't think there's merit to this argument. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that staying latched to a short-range radio like WiFi must consume less or about the same amount of energy as staying connected to a remote LTE tower. Furthermore, given how little energy a phone spends on staying connected to WiFi, surely a Tesla can afford to stay connected all the time. Even if it chose not to remain connected to WiFi, phones connect to and disconnect from WiFi all the time, it's not exactly a challenge.

Well, there is no doubt the wifi doesn't remain connected, so why would the software bother shutting on and off if it weren't for energy savings? Probably doesn't explain the OPs issues though, although I will say that when I get in the car the display shows LTE and not wifi like it does when I park and if I click on it I do get the spinning circle and 'searching for networks' although there is a green check next to my network indicating it is already connected.

I had a problem where my DHCP server ran out of IP addresses and I had to increase the pool IP range. The symptom of this is things will not connect to your WiFi. :)

I also had an issue where my access point was no longer stable due to age or the half assed firmware patch to fix the WPA2 security issue. I noticed spotty wireless communication from my EcoBee logging even though the signal was strong so I replaced that tonight and now communication from my WiFi to LAN side is much better. Even dumb tasks like controlling my AppleTV via my iPhone over WiFi is 100 times better. Again, I had a strong signal here too.

Perhaps you have one of these two issues.