Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will AP1.0 Enabled Cars Get Software/GUI Feature Updates/Upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
Is Tesla done supporting/upgrading the AP1 software stack? Perhaps just working on the existing features and getting things out of perma-beta?

Will we see blind spot detection, autonomous driving beyond lane keeping and adaptive cruise, navigate on autopilot, freeway exit nav, autonomous parking anywhere in lot, sentry mode, dash cam, etc?

Please discuss in this thread the new features we are getting and what we are not.

Last edited:
AP1 only has the one camera and the Mobileye processor. That limits its capabilities. "Blind spot detection, autonomous driving beyond lane keeping and adaptive cruise, navigate on autopilot, freeway exit nav, autonomous parking anywhere in lot" all require more sensors and more processing power than AP1 has. I think navigate on Autopilot is partially doable, the car could take exits but could not change lanes automatically. Not particularly worth the effort.

Sentry mode and dashcam have required AP2.5 and/or MCU2 so far. They're not going to happen on AP1 with MCU1 cars.

I'd expect GUI improvements (media player, maps, nav...) as long as MCU1 SW is still being updated.

• Informative
Reactions: BozieBeMe2
Variously for AP1, Tesla/EM discussed stop light detection, more autonomy, autonomous valet park, blind spot detection, freeway interchange autonomy, WiFi hotspot, HAVC control for back seat, and probably others that I cannot recall. Some of these features were even on the web site feature list when we bought our cars (but now deleted). At the very least, we have major features that have been in beta for many years.

Seems to me, they should try to make good on some of these "promises."

Variously for AP1, Tesla/EM discussed stop light detection, more autonomy, autonomous valet park, blind spot detection, freeway interchange autonomy, WiFi hotspot, HAVC control for back seat, and probably others that I cannot recall. Some of these features were even on the web site feature list when we bought our cars (but now deleted). At the very least, we have major features that have been in beta for many years.

Yeah and for AP2 it was sold as EAP being ready December 2016, various estimates for coast to coast, the hardware being enough for full self driving, summon will do multilevel parking garages, AP2.5 is no different in functionality than AP2, only difference in AP2.5 is the extra compute node (not the camera color space, backup camera connection, new radar)....

Relative to how Tesla makes good on lofty claims, AP1 ended at a pretty good spot. I also wouldn’t expect any more new features. The platform isn’t even that updatable.... there’s an ASIC for the computer vision and the processors for driving algorithm are just a few 32 bit MIPS cores. A Phillips Hue light bulb hub has more general purpose compute power.

Here are written promises:

"Model S will be able to steer to stay within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by reading road signs and using active, traffic aware cruise control. It will take several months for all Autopilot features to be completed and uploaded to the cars.

Our goal with the introduction of this new hardware and software is not to enable driverless cars, which are still years away from becoming a reality"

There may be many verbal promises but unless you can put those in a written form, it's hard to prove that "stop light detection" was verbally said somewhere because I haven't heard it for AP1.

AP1 has 1 front camera and short range sonars to detect obstacles. I guess you can call that blind spot detection but not as good as AP2.

Here are written promises:

"Model S will be able to steer to stay within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by reading road signs and using active, traffic aware cruise control. It will take several months for all Autopilot features to be completed and uploaded to the cars.

Our goal with the introduction of this new hardware and software is not to enable driverless cars, which are still years away from becoming a reality"

There may be many verbal promises but unless you can put those in a written form, it's hard to prove that "stop light detection" was verbally said somewhere because I haven't heard it for AP1.

AP1 has 1 front camera and short range sonars to detect obstacles. I guess you can call that blind spot detection but not as good as AP2.

I am not going to go blow-by-blow into the promises as that is not the purpose of this thread, but I will note that the Model S was advertised on the web site at purchase to many many purchasers as having blind spot detection if you paid for autopilot. It does not. In fact, Tesla removed all reference to that claim after the fact to AP1.0 purchasers. That silicon snake oil is off topic.

...blind spot detection if you paid for autopilot...

Blind spot detection has been activated since V6:

Qf1CvJU.jpg

The Sonars are the blind spot detection for AP1.

AP2 uses both sonars and 8 cameras as blind spot detection.

The promise has been fulfilled.

Last edited:
Blind spot detection has been activated since V6:

Qf1CvJU.jpg

The Sonars are the blind spot detection for AP1.

AP2 uses both sonars and 8 cameras as blind spot detection.

The promise has been fulfilled.

It has? Show me where in the Settings I can turn it on. I checked the location in the graphic you attached and it is not there.

Sounds like Tesla tried to make up their own definition of what a blindspot warning system is after the fact. I don't think their new definition caught on since it does not exist in any current manuals for the vehicle.

It has? Show me where in the Settings I can turn it on. I checked the location in the graphic you attached and it is not there.

Sounds like Tesla tried to make up their own definition of what a blindspot warning system is after the fact. I don't think their new definition caught on since it does not exist in any current manuals for the vehicle.

This Youtuber showed the white line appearing on and off to represent AP1 sonars' blind spot detection.

I won't buy a car again without blind spot detection. My daughters, $22K Nissan has it along with adaptive cruise. My Chevy Bolt has it. What my Tesla AP1.0 has is not blind spot detection, but parking sensors and reliance on them would be a serious mistake. Silicon snake oil.

I think they could possibly use the rear camera in a thumbnail in combination with the parking sensors to provide this feature effectively. It would be nice if they could do slight image processing on the rear camera to have it work as well as my econoboxes do. Just putting the rear camera view up on the instrument cluster when the parking sensors see something would work.

They **could** fulfill the promise, but I fear AP1.0 is abandoned.

...Blind spot detection...

Its capability is limited to its AP1 sonars so I don't think there will be much improvement except for better graphical design on the instrument clusters.

navigate on autopilot

AP1 was advertised to work from on-ramp to off-ramp so I expect Navigate On Autopilot will have to happen for AP1 as well.

The only difference is AP1 Navigate On Autopilot should involve more human input such as toggling the stalk to initiate a lane change (due to above AP1 blind spot detection problem above).

...autonomous parking anywhere in lot..

I don't see that will happen for AP1: Not enough cameras.

...sentry mode....

It's promised for AP2+ but so far only AP2.5 gets it. AP2 might not. I doubt AP1 will ever get it.

...dash cam...

I don't see why not. Maybe because of AP1 processing power limitation?

• Informative
Reactions: Reeler
It seems that the early adapters always pay the price. I have a 4 year old Tesla S85 with 14,000 miles that I love but envy the new functionalities that are being rolled out to the newer S and Model 3 cars. I wish Tesla would give us a "buy-back" option to sell this car to them when they have AP3 with the AI chip-set. If not I will try to sell the car on my own and get a Tesla S when it has plateaued HW wise.

Maybe now that they have their own hardware, they can standardize on a sensor package and processing card. Just like upgrading your graphics card in a PC, you could get the latest. I fear, that Tesla has little incentive to help the older model owners as they want to sell cars, not upgrades. Their service centers can hardly keep up with things let alone upgrades. The service centers used to be far more willing to upgrade things, but not so much anymore.