Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Elon give Autopilot free for 2018 or early 2019 buyers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if the discount the AP price would I get some kind of refund? Just got mine in January for 3000

Probably not. It's just not feasible for Tesla to give refunds for every price change. People don't cut Elon a check when the price increases, they really can't afford to do the opposite when the price decreases.

100% this. Also worth noting that now, 2+ years later with 2018 Model 3's, many other auto manufacturers include these basic features on their cars as standard. If it's $1500 I may consider it. If it's $1000, insta buy.

Based on the rental cars I've had with 'similar to AP' features they're mostly terrible in comparison...unlike Teslas offering I'd be pissed if I had to pay for them.

Based on the rental cars I've had with 'similar to AP' features they're mostly terrible in comparison...unlike Teslas offering I'd be pissed if I had to pay for them.

A number of these vehicles are also $10-$20K less than a LR RWD Model 3. It makes sense that Tesla include it as standard, and it makes sense to offer it at around $1K for those early adopter Model 3 owners.

Everything should go on sale occasionally. Its the American way. Call it the Economic Impact Sale.
I agree. Other co.s do it all the time, with few complaints. Tech is constantly getting better and cheaper. Early adopters show know this.

Another example of why Tesla's transparent pricing gets in it's way.

Back to topic Let's all tweet @elon. Only 70+ replies so far here: :( Elon Musk on Twitter

Reactions: ElectricIAC
just read the article; tesla cuts pay for high ranking execs at 30%. regular people get 10% cuts; but some get put on hold, no pay, but healthcare is continued.

I don't worry about execs; they make too much anyway (IMHO!). 10% cut for regular workers, though; its going to take years to get that back, once we are over this crisis. its hard to regain the accumulated area under the curve, if this lasts for months (and I assume it will).

I don't worry about execs; they make too much anyway (IMHO!). 10% cut for regular workers, though; its going to take years to get that back, once we are over this crisis. its hard to regain the accumulated area under the curve, if this lasts for months (and I assume it will).

The 10% cut is only for salaried workers, not the regular hourly workers like that work in the factory. And so far they say the pay cut is only expected to last for 2.5 months. We will just have to see how this plays out.

The 10% cut is only for salaried workers, not the regular hourly workers like that work in the factory. And so far they say the pay cut is only expected to last for 2.5 months. We will just have to see how this plays out.

I hope you're right with the short term. I think they need to focus on quick revenue thru upgrades, with short term discounts. Esp. if hardware sales are slow

I can say with great certainty that its better to get a 10% pay cut than get laid off, especially these days.

Given the extra unemployment money currently available that is absolutely not certain for at least some folks.

For some range of earnings you'd actually be better (as much as 10% better) being laid off- especially when as in this case you keep your health insurance while laid off.

I thought AP was a $3000 option not a $1000 option. When they started selling AP anyways. Tesla decided it would be included but increase the cost of the car by that amount.

$2000 for AP
$5000 EAP
$8000 FSD. (I think this went up in cost later?)

Maybe some day I'll get my FSD computer that I paid for...

Make a service center appointment and get it? I made an appointment, and it took them 2-3 hours to do it. They will still do an appointment for this at this time here in CA, its just contactless. You drop off car in the parking lot, text them and let them know you are there, and go away, they come out and get the car after you go, perform the work, and put it back in the parking lot, and text you saying its done, you come back and pick it up, never actually physically see them.

Ok.. everyone else, back to thread topic on "discussion" about cost or not of FSD

Make a service center appointment and get it? I made an appointment, and it took them 2-3 hours to do it.

FWIW this seems to be very YMMV.

I've been trying since early March to get this done. First appointment was cancelled 12 hours before appointment for lack of parts but they assured me I can reschedule a few weeks out and they'd have them in.

Second was cancelled also 12 hours ahead (despite being confirmed multiple times in previous days) for same reason, no parts- this time blaming the virus shutdown (which is nonsense for several reasons) and told again reschedule for next month instead (if the virus excuse were true- which it can't be since it wasn't a thing either time they've have built or shipped previous- why wouldn't it be a thing next month too?)

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Make a service center appointment and get it? I made an appointment, and it took them 2-3 hours to do it. They will still do an appointment for this at this time here in CA, its just contactless. You drop off car in the parking lot, text them and let them know you are there, and go away, they come out and get the car after you go, perform the work, and put it back in the parking lot, and text you saying its done, you come back and pick it up, never actually physically see them.

Ok.. everyone else, back to thread topic on "discussion" about cost or not of FSD
I made one because they had a computer for me. Then they cancled it the day before and said there are no more computers. They will contact me when more become available... Sure they will...

Of course they still keep installing them for other people in San Diego. I'm over it, Tesla service just blows. At this rate I'll end up selling the car before I get the new computer let alone FSD features.

I can't even get what I paid for and everyone else wants free stuff lol.

Last edited:
FWIW this seems to be very YMMV.

I've been trying since early March to get this done. First appointment was cancelled 12 hours before appointment for lack of parts but they assured me I can reschedule a few weeks out and they'd have them in.

Second was cancelled also 12 hours ahead (despite being confirmed multiple times in previous days) for same reason, no parts- this time blaming the virus shutdown (which is nonsense for several reasons) and told again reschedule for next month instead (if the virus excuse were true- which it can't be since it wasn't a thing either time they've have built or shipped previous- why wouldn't it be a thing next month too?)

Wonder if the California locations have better / faster availability of the parts due to shipping constraints (Most shippers are prioritizing other types of shipments). No idea, just throwing something out there. That sucks though, I made the appointment, it was 2 weeks out, and there was no push back etc. Now, what they WOULDNT do was address another issue I had, which was windshield wiper on drivers side not spraying cleaning solution (and I had already checked hose / blockage etc). They told me (via text) "we can do HW3 but we will not be able to address anything else thats not on the repair job, if you want to get something else done you will need to make another appointment".

So, after HW3 install, I did make another appointment for mobile service for the wiper, and that was just completed in my driveway while I waited inside. For me, the experience has been very easy, but yeah it really seems to depend on the Service Center personnel in your area (like almost anything to do with customer service ends up depending on, which is the people)

actually the topic title is about AP.

Thats too bad.. I had mine done at carlsbad, and given your stated location im assuming thats where you tried to schedule as well.
Yep, appointment was March 11th in Carlsbad. No matter, I guess. We are not supposed to even go to the grocery store right now I guess. Confined to the house. Seems like both a really good time and a really bad time to schedule another appointment. I think I'll just wait until I don't have time for another appointment though (when I go back to work and need the car). Trying to do my part and stay home.