Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 drivers be the most annoying drivers on the road?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking it might be possible (I hope not). Why are some annoying driver habits to you?

1. Blocking left lanes / carpool lanes going at slow speed (i.e. prius or other BEVs)
2. Super aggressive driving / cutting off people (some BMW, Fiat in my experience).
3. Inattentive driving (phone use)

For #1, Model 3 drivers can use carpool lane, EAP for cruise control and not paying attention, so they may more easily block faster traffic than other cars. Also concern over range might keep them at slower speeds. On the other hand, larger battery ranges should in theory reduce this effect.

For #2, unlike the generally older demographic of Model S/X owners, Model 3 owners might skew more younger and might be more aggressive on the road. The performance of the Model 3 vs other cars like BMW's could allow them to be even more aggressive.

For #3, I'm not sure. If using EAP that is not polished, this could be a concern. They will be more likely to be looking down at phones more often. As more FSD comes into use, cars may act more like Waymo cars (which are very slow reacting) and are annoying.

Thoughts?

I am thinking it might be possible (I hope not). Why are some annoying driver habits to you?

1. Blocking left lanes / carpool lanes going at slow speed (i.e. prius or other BEVs)
2. Super aggressive driving / cutting off people (some BMW, Fiat in my experience).

For #1, Model 3 drivers can use carpool lane, EAP for cruise control and not paying attention, so they may more easily block faster traffic than other cars. Also concern over range might keep them at slower speeds. On the other hand, larger battery ranges should in theory reduce this effect.

For #2, unlike the generally older demographic of Model S/X owners, Model 3 owners might skew more younger and might be more aggressive on the road. The performance of the Model 3 vs other cars like BMW's could allow them to be even more aggressive.

For #3, I'm not sure. If using EAP that is not polished, this could be a concern. They will be more likely to be looking down at phones more often. As more FSD comes into use, cars may act more like Waymo cars (which are very slow reacting) and are annoying.

Thoughts?
You realize 1& 2 contradict each other?

I've thought about what it will be like when everyone has an electric car. Even my wimpy little Leaf lets me drive aggressively in urban traffic when I feel like it. When everyone, including the young and stupid, has access to instant torque I think it will negatively impact the driving experience, at least when you're not just letting your car drive for you. (Not that all young drivers are terrible. I did plenty of dumb things in an old gutless Toyota, I can't imagine what I would have tried in a Model 3.)

Thoughts?
I will drive my model 3 like the model citizen I am. Yes I will!

Dunno, those BMW 3 series folk have been in training for decades. They will be tough to beat.

They've gotten a bit old and stale....those of us who also have a 2 Series are picking up the torch!:D;)

OK, now given a current other thread on LR, let me explain clearly....that is a joke, not serious, not meanly sarcastic, just lighthearted humor!:) And, I added a "funny" to McRat's post above!

In Seattle, Prius (mostly Uber/Lyft drivers) and Subaru (no clue what the deal is here) cars are the most annoying/dangerous vehicles I encounter on a daily basis as an urban cyclist. They are both consistently super aggressive, seemingly aloof, and I've been lightly "hit" and knocked off my bike by a Subaru driver who proceeded to slow down and then drive off as I started to get up (he definitely knew he hit me).

It's possible that some of these drivers will transition to Model 3s I guess.

I saw the shift (in California anyways) of jerk drivers from SUV drivers to Prius drivers. I can see the threat, but honestly, it will be quite a while before that happens simply because Tesla can't build enough. By the time Tesla builds enough M3s for you to notice the jerk drivers in them, the other manufacturers will have their own EV cars so the jerk drivers will be spread about evenly.

In Seattle, Prius (mostly Uber/Lyft drivers) and Subaru (no clue what the deal is here) cars are the most annoying/dangerous vehicles I encounter on a daily basis as an urban cyclist. They are both consistently super aggressive, seemingly aloof, and I've been lightly "hit" and knocked off my bike by a Subaru driver who proceeded to slow down and then drive off as I started to get up (he definitely knew he hit me).

It's possible that some of these drivers will transition to Model 3s I guess.

You're right, I forgot the Taxi potential. Lots of Model 3's could go to taxi drivers. Add that as #4 issue.

And yes one Model 3 driver will not have all the traits, but they could occur across the distribution of drivers. Might be a lot of Tesla on Tesla hate!