Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model S be your only car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Impossible. Drove 340 miles yesterday with no charging infrastructure in sight.

What were you looking for? It's not impossible; you just have to look at things differently. It's generally thought that SW FL is still pretty underdeveloped as far as charging stations are concerned but I know of 10 charge stations within a 20 miles radius of my home, and most of them with multiple spaces available. The problem is that 90% are not shown on any maps nor on roadside signs (yet!); examples include:

Downtown municipal parking garage
Local Airport
AAA offices
Shopping malls
University
Hotels
Tourist attractions

Not forgetting the ability just to plug in anywhere from a friends house to an office building to an RV park....

I work from home and my wife is a stay at home mom and we're a 2 car family. Right now we really only have a "need" for 2 cars twice a month. The plan is to replace my BMW 335d with the Model S. Going to keep our '07 Sienna as the backup vehicle. We could probably cut down to 1 car, but it will be nice to have an ICE as a backup vehicle. Also if we went the 1 vehicle route, the Model X might make more sense.

Hoping to replace the family car (Mercury Grand Marquis). Keeping my old commuter Mustang convertible. A family of soon-to-be four where both parents work... is not a one-car family unfortunately.

Upside: still have a convertible (yeah, I don't care what you say, a no-matter-how-big sunroof is not the same) and have some V8 noise to listen to in case I feel the abstinence.
Downside: when do I get to drive the S? Weekends only? Hmm...

What do you folks use to locate public access charging stations? We drive up the ny/ne corridor all of the time rts 84, 91, 90. I am only aware of a few off highway facilities which are not very conveniently located for our driving.

I'm with you Trnsl8r! I'll only give up my SLK55 when I can get my hands on Roadster 3.0!

Hilarious, I've been secretly thinking the same thing. By the time the next Roadster gets out (thinking a two-door convertible based on Model S styling, mmm...) I hope to have regained the cash I forked out for Model S and can justifiably reward myself since I "gave" the first Tesla for family use. :smile:

I expect to give Model X a pass, but as soon as there is a reservation list for this (Model R? Model C?), I'll be on it.

What do you folks use to locate public access charging stations? We drive up the ny/ne corridor all of the time rts 84, 91, 90. I am only aware of a few off highway facilities which are not very conveniently located for our driving.

We're getting OT here; but to answer your question: networking helps enormously, asking around, google works wonders, there are some phone apps which help and even searching the forums. Of course, that all needs to be done before travelling, I sort of figure that a quick check around for chargepoints is still less than the inconvenience of buying gas.

Will the Model S be your only car or will you have an ICE backup?

Ooh, interesting question. My answer is a bit like ckessels.

As a two-car family, we will have an ICE backup *for now*. A fully depreciated car with low resale value. However, when it dies, I do not intend to replace it with an ICE. At that point I intend for the Model S to be the "long range backup" and hope to be able to get a short-range electric car for the second car. (There should be lots of them available fairly cheaply in a few years, I hope.)

I'm hoping that in a few years there will be more of a charging network. But the fact is I don't generally have to make trips much longer than 140 miles without charging access, or 280 miles with a place to charge for multiple nights at the far end. Perhaps once every several years. So if I'm exceeding the Model S range, it's infrequent enough to rent.

Perhaps it will be discussed at the X introduction event but...

Do we know how long the Model X production will be? [Assuming Tesla's plans come to fruition, ]will it still be available *new* in say... 2017?

Let me be more general.

The Roadsters thus far have had limited production (no more being made).

For Model S, Model X, and Bluestar, is it expected that the 3 models will have overlapping production in, say, 2015 or will the Model S line terminate when Bluestar ramps up?

Perhaps it will be discussed at the X introduction event but...

Do we know how long the Model X production will be? [Assuming Tesla's plans come to fruition, ]will it still be available *new* in say... 2017?

Let me be more general.

For Model S, Model X, and Bluestar, is it expected that the 3 models will have overlapping production in, say, 2015 or will the Model S line terminate when Bluestar ramps up?
I can't imagining terminating the Model S line in such a short amount of time (that's a huge waste of a big investment) and I can't imaging Tesla surviving with only a single model line-up in the long run (esp. in a lower margin car like the Bluestar). It just makes sense to have multiple models available.

Yes, because they are made in Lotus facilities in UK and Lotus is planing to upgrade/replace production equipment in this factory.
Tesla would have to completely redesign the Roadster to continue production in this factory when it comes on-line again in few years time. Redesign in concordance with the new tooling and technology installed.

Tesla Motors is now building their own factory to produce Model S. There is only one way S production would terminate with Bluestar ramp up: very poor sale figures for S and very very very good selling of Bluestar. I don't see this comming.

Model S will be our only car. We only have had one car for the last 10 years and we live in Oregon. Most of our
long range driving will be up and down I5 which will be the country's first electric highway. Our second car for in-town is a BikeE with an Ecospeed electric conversion.

Elon said in a recent conference car that "we need to learn how to do more than one thing at a time" and that "we want to do one new car a year for the next several years".
Well, they have a big enough factory. But they'll probably need more equipment. Even though Model S and Model X can be produced on the same production line, and even though they're planning a "car #3" from that production line, at some point they'll have to set up a second production line.

New reservation holder here. The S will be one of 3 cars. My wife has a diesel with really good range. I have a 911 which is more of a toy.

And then the S will be my primary car. My daily driving is not much (20-50 miles per day, avg of about 30). But then every other weekend we drive about 80 miles each way to visit family. I can charge the vehicle there (we'll be installing a 240V/50A circuit there).

I don't know if I will take the 60 or 85 kWh pack. I think the 80 miles is really like 110 miles at the average speed. And as I understand it from reading here and elsewhere, you don't want to use more than about 80% of the capacity of the battery on one trip, plus some safety margin. So in theory the 60 seems about right, but I may get the 85 just to be safe.

I don't know if I will take the 60 or 85 kWh pack. ... in theory the 60 seems about right, but I may get the 85 just to be safe.
Go big or go home! I waffled on this one, too, but unless you're cash-constrained (and your 911 suggests you might not be), getting the 85kWh pack buys not only longer range, but an unlimited mileage battery warranty, lower wear-and-tear from longer distance driving, better performance, and greater peace of mind.