Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla Buildup Superchargers to Accommodate Anticipated Demand from Ford, GM, Rivian, and whoever else, Adopting NACS circa 2024/2025?

Will Tesla Be Able to Match Supply with Demand in terms of Superchargers in 2024/2025?

• NOPE → Tesla will not be able to meet demand and the SC network buildout will continue as normal.

Votes: 40 8.7%
  • NOPE → Tesla will not be able to meet demand even if they accelerate the SC network buildout.

Votes: 36 7.8%
  • SKEPTICAL → Tesla may be able to meet demand and the SC network buildout will continue as normal.

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • SKEPTICAL → Tesla may be able to meet demand but requires accelerating the SC network buildout.

Votes: 85 18.4%
  • OPTIMISTIC → Good chance Tesla will be able to meet demand with the normal SC network buildout.

Votes: 29 6.3%
  • OPTIMISTIC → Good chance Tesla will be able to meet demand but requires accelerating SCs buildouts.

Votes: 108 23.4%
  • YUP → Tesla will meet demand without needing to accelerate building out the SC network.

Votes: 30 6.5%
  • YUP →Tesla will meet demand but requires them accelerating the buildout of the SC network.

Votes: 94 20.3%
  • Nope, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skeptical, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Optimistic, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Yup, but for reasons not listed above.

Votes: 4 0.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ridiculous is all the people that live locally relying on supercharging instead of at home or work charging. Those are the people causing supercharger backups. The supercharger network was supposed to ease long distance travel, not to replace home/work charging.
What about those people who don’t have privilege to charge at home or at work?

It isn't a privilege. Its something they need to take a little personal responsibility and do. They can pay a little money and install charging or move to someplace where they can. Granted, the cheaper the place they live, probably the more they'll have to spend to put it in. That's what they get for saving the money on rent/purchase.

Reactions: TunaBug
It's not a privelege. It's the fruits of our labor. Most of us busted our butts in school to get a job where we busted our butts to earn money for a house, a car, and a charger. If you're not there yet then keep working at it, but please don't dismiss the efforts of others.

It's not a privelege. It's the fruits of our labor. Most of us busted our butts in school to get a job where we busted our butts to earn money for a house, a car, and a charger. If you're not there yet then keep working at it, but please don't dismiss the efforts of others.
Lots of people bust their butts and have no option for setting up charging where they park.

Reactions: RTPEV and Big Earl
Charger congestion is also Tesla’s fault selling cars with *insert period of time* FUSC. We all thought that was over and then it keeps happening. Wonder how many cars they sell in Q4 or at the end of any quarter with FUSC perk kicked in…it has to be a lot

But we have plenty in STL - it’s almost never an issue here. We also now have magic docks within easy non-Tesla highway range in a couple directions from here. I’m sure those will be super congested for the foreseeable future until NACS to CCS adapter compatibility becomes well supported

In Europe and Australia, at least, they're converting street lights to LED and then using the excess power to run type 2 EVSEs at the curb. I think that could take off here in the US too. Depends on pricing and willingness of cities to jump in on it, as they tend to on the street lights. If a way can be figured for companies to make money at this, they'll do it! The free enterprise system does work that way. Whoever is involved will have to figure out how to charge for people to park all night, as nobody wants to get up at 10:30 or 11:00 at night and move their car.

Charger congestion is also Tesla’s fault selling cars with *insert period of time* FUSC. We all thought that was over and then it keeps happening. Wonder how many cars they sell in Q4 or at the end of any quarter with FUSC perk kicked in…it has to be a lot

But we have plenty in STL - it’s almost never an issue here. We also now have magic docks within easy non-Tesla highway range in a couple directions from here. I’m sure those will be super congested for the foreseeable future until NACS to CCS adapter compatibility becomes well supported
I have FUSC but still prefer home charging for daily use.

The Urban Chargers mentioned above and destination chargers are meant for that application. That said, in other countries, it is more common for people to not have home nor work charging and the people use superchargers and other public charging exclusively for charging. They however tend to find other less expensive slower public charging when that is possible.

Don’t buy an EV yet
I’d drive 10 miles round trip to charge at a super charger if I could do my shopping I needed to do while it charged. Super charging prices would likely negate some/most/all cost savings versus gas but if you are buying a new car the tax credit can’t be ignored. In congested areas with air quality issues I could see charging subsidies

Cost of SC isn't an issue vs. the cost of gasoline, but we vastly prefer charging at home because it's just so much easier. It also happens to be enough cheaper that we'll eventually recover the cost of the Tesla Wall Connector we had installed. However, even if we don't, it was worth adding to our home.

As for the "privilege" of charging at home, I'd instead use the word "opportunity" to describe whether EV owners can find ways charge their vehicles outside of using the SC network to support daily driving.

I definitely think the current situation of chargers being unavailable at homes for many people (e.g. apartments and condos) is a problem that needs to be fixed. As a broad generalization, I like that we have federal laws saying that you cannot prevent somebody from putting up a satellite dish, and I think we need something similar for EVSE equipment and the electricity to feed them.

I definitely think the current situation of chargers being unavailable at homes for many people (e.g. apartments and condos) is a problem that needs to be fixed. As a broad generalization, I like that we have federal laws saying that you cannot prevent somebody from putting up a satellite dish, and I think we need something similar for EVSE equipment and the electricity to feed them.
The (poorly named) Inflation Reduction Act goes much further than this. There are massive incentives for people to install chargers. One goal is to have at least 4 charger stalls for every 50 miles of highway.

In addition, Walmart recently announced they are planning to build their own network of DCFCs at their stores. This will make it easy for Walmart shoppers to charge their cars when they shop.

Since plans are already afoot to massively expand the charging network, I think the advice from @E90alex is apt. If you don't have access to home or work charging then don't buy an EV yet. In addition, if you plan to do mostly fast charging then I recommend getting a car with LFP batteries.

Reactions: KJD
The best thing about all these EV charging infrastructure expansions is that we can be pretty confident they will all work just fine with the NACS sockets in our cars. :)
Out of Spec says over and over again that while the NACS connector is far superior to the clunky CCS handle with a handle, it's not the reason for the higher reliability of the Tesla charging network. I heard recently that the Tesla chargers may not be inherently more robust but they have a great system for monitoring their chargers and fixing them quickly when they stop working.

Nonetheless, IMO the adoption of the NACS connector and federal funding will both drastically improve the reliability of the overall charging network. Federal funding is predicated on charger reliability. This is a strong incentive to get it right this time around. OTOH, the previous attempt of forcing an automaker to spend billions of dollars on creating a charger network that most of their cars won't use provided almost no incentives for reliability.

Standardizing to the NACS connector will mean that 3rd party chargers will have to compete head to head with Tesla. This will be another strong incentive for them to get it right.

Worst case scenario, some charger networks will go into tires-up mode and then other networks, including Tesla, will be able to get the charging sites on the cheap.

The (poorly named) Inflation Reduction Act goes much further than this. There are massive incentives for people to install chargers. One goal is to have at least 4 charger stalls for every 50 miles of highway.
Just a small point, the IRA does not have incentives for installing chargers. That is the NEVI portion of the BIL, Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, that has plans to install 4 chargers every 50 miles on the highway.

chargers may not be inherently more robust but they have a great system for monitoring their chargers and fixing them quickly when they stop working
This is the big issue. The non-NACS companies are a bunch of grant writers who are professionals at begging for handouts but can't actually do anything.
Once, Chargepoint called me 4 months after I reported that I could not use some chargers and asked if I was happy that they had fixed then. I told them that its a good thing I didn't actually need to charge back then or I'd have been hurting very badly waiting 4 months for them to bother to fix it.
Tesla has qualified techs constantly checking Superchargers and they aren't too far so they can fix them within hours if necessary.
Tesla runs a class act. Sure, there are a few warts and scars but, overall, they know how to get the important things done.