Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla support CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say after using CarPlay over the weekend on a 1,000 road trip that it is an underwhelming experience.

We would be better off steering clear of it until they get more friendly with the apps on the phone (most aren't supported). First and foremost, I don't know how Tesla could ever support it because it requires your system to communicate directly with your phone - with a hard plug in...having your phone tethered is a pain. Second, it really isnt better in any way at all except for its ability to navigate through your song lists and selecting items and playlists like the phone interface allows. In fact, outside of that, everything else is WORSE than what we have in the Model S interface today - it forces you to use Apple navigation and a reduced version thereof, which is hardly a decent system (no Waze support or any other nav for that matter). Any integration to texts (none for emails) is all really linked through Siri, and ultimately has you reaching for your phone, which of course is tethered...any activity on the phone is mirrored on your screen so if your passenger is navigating through, lets say Pandora, and you need to enter an address, your activity cuts them out of theirs and takes over the screen.

The system isnt thought out - its clunky and proprietary (worse than the iPhone!)....Im having the head until removed and returned to the shop in favor of the old factory system. Count your blessings that Tesla didn't embrace this system!!

By the way, for those looking to integrate Siri with he Model S, thats available today - she can read emails; compose; read text etc, all upon voice command. As long as your phone is plugged into charging, and you have selected 'Allow "Hey Siri" in you settings (settings--> general --> Sir --> Allow "Hey Siri") you can activate that feature at any time by simply calling out in your car, "Hey Siri!",,,of course, your phone has to be connected via bluetooth but it DOES NOT have to be selected as your sound source at the time of your request. In other words you could be listening to the radio and ask Siri a question and she will respond through the phone integration - as if you were carrying on a phone conversation.

Last edited:
We would be better off steering clear of it until they get more friendly with the apps on the phone (most aren't supported). First and foremost, I don't know how Tesla could ever support it because it requires your system to communicate directly with your phone - with a hard plug in...having your phone tethered is a pain.
I plug my phone in pretty much every time I'm in the car, so that does not really bother me. Most iPhone/Android integration systems require you to connect the phone.

As far as more apps being supported, that is definitely an issue with the current Carplay, but Iit's almost certain there will be Waze support in Carplay before there is native Tesla support for Waze. Same goes for Native Pandora support, Apple Music, Amazon prime music, Google Play, etc.

Tesla do not have the resources, or will, to add support for many things user want which will be available on Carplay and Android Auto. That is the real benefit from integrating those systems. Tesla can then forcus on what's important to them, like perfecting Autopilot.

Reactions: nikolai
I plug my phone in pretty much every time I'm in the car, so that does not really bother me. Most iPhone/Android integration systems require you to connect the phone.

As far as more apps being supported, that is definitely an issue with the current Carplay, but Iit's almost certain there will be Waze support in Carplay before there is native Tesla support for Waze. Same goes for Native Pandora support, Apple Music, Amazon prime music, Google Play, etc.

Tesla do not have the resources, or will, to add support for many things user want which will be available on Carplay and Android Auto. That is the real benefit from integrating those systems. Tesla can then forcus on what's important to them, like perfecting Autopilot.

Looking at what they have built today (and fully realizing its shortcomings after a year of ownership), moving to CarPlay would be a giant leap backwards if all things remained equal today. Im not even sure how they would do it given that Carplay is really just a giant mirroring tool for the iPhone with extremely reduced functionality.

Suffice to say, the grass is not greener at all - this is just my opinion of course, but at least its informed with both sides of the discussion (and that isnt to say others don't have the same experience - just speaking about my own experience)..

Looking at what they have built today (and fully realizing its shortcomings after a year of ownership), moving to CarPlay would be a giant leap backwards if all things remained equal today. Im not even sure how they would do it given that Carplay is really just a giant mirroring tool for the iPhone with extremely reduced functionality.

Suffice to say, the grass is not greener at all - this is just my opinion of course, but at least its informed with both sides of the discussion (and that isnt to say others don't have the same experience - just speaking about my own experience)..
Car play could be implemented as one of the 2 windows on screen. It would be relatively easy to do, Tesla just does not want to do it.

While the interface it not great, either is the current Media center, which is a terribly design from both a usability-while-driving and feature set stand point.

Improved functionality will come in time.

And, this same progress will be made with Tesla. Im not a Tesla biggot - in theory I loved the idea of CarPlay...I converted my other car to it. Its just after using both that I can say how problematic the CarPlay interface is...of course to each their own, but my vote is that in its current state, it would be a giant step backwards. It needs a LOT of work in its current form - the apps really don't work without you having to reach for your phone...and if thats what you're having to do, then what is the point?

I don't want CarPlay to replace Tesla's stuff, I want it as a supplement.

I know I say this a lot, but Tesla can't even be bothered to implement time elapsed and remaining when connected to Bluetooth. Seriously, what the hell? How hard is that?

And, this same progress will be made with Tesla.
I'm a huge Tesla supporter and love my Model S (I'm on my second one), but I highly doubt Tesla will update there media center to support other players or add Waze support any where nearly as fast as either Carplay or Android Auto will.

They just don't have the resources and/or it is not a priority to do those things.

They can barely get a decent navigation system implemented, and that should be a priority. I can't imagine how low on there list support for Apple Music, or Pandora, or even basic smart phone integration is.

I'm a huge Tesla supporter and love my Model S (I'm on my second one), but I highly doubt Tesla will update there media center to support other players or add Waze support any where nearly as fast as either Carplay or Android Auto will.

They just don't have the resources and/or it is not a priority to do those things.

They can barely get a decent navigation system implemented, and that should be a priority. I can't imagine how low on there list support for Apple Music, or Pandora, or even basic smart phone integration is.

Its a hardware and software problem...if history is an indication of the future, both are problematic and even if they do solve for this, I can't imagine it will be a retrofit...in fact, there isn't a car company on the planet that offers the integration after the fact because any significant integration will require that hardware component and the wiring just isn't plug and play...Ive had BMWs that appear on the surface to be a simple fix; both even have the same phone cradle to the eye; however, BMW apps isn't retro because the entire wiring harness is different. I had the same experience with my Porsche and their integration offering. And that was just to access Apps available in their world and interface with the phone.

I just don't see it happening, and now I know more about it, I don't see it as a bad thing at all...

And, this same progress will be made with Tesla. Im not a Tesla biggot - in theory I loved the idea of CarPlay...I converted my other car to it. Its just after using both that I can say how problematic the CarPlay interface is...of course to each their own, but my vote is that in its current state, it would be a giant step backwards. It needs a LOT of work in its current form - the apps really don't work without you having to reach for your phone...and if thats what you're having to do, then what is the point?
Strange. A friend of ours has a new XC90 with CarPlay and we found it seemed to work extremely well. It did need a direct connection, but supposedly the car supports the wireless option introduced in iOS 9 and they were told a firmware update will enable it in early 2016. True? Who knows. Voice commands worked extremely well. Spotify availability is pretty great. No Waze yet, which sucks, but maybe soon.

I guess my experience is more limited, but considering the car currently can't do a whole host of that stuff, I find it hard agree that it would be a "giant step backwards." Indeed, this is exactly the kind of flexibility having a touchscreen as the primary display enables.

I was going to say that iOS 9 support CarPlay wirelessly...

Also, App Support is up to the app developers to enable the CarPlay-friendly screens. If you use an app that isn't on CarPlay, encourage the developer to support it.

I really wish Tesla would support it soon -- its designed to supplement the on-board systems (not replace) and gives better integration than we have today... Give us a 1/2 screen CarPlay app in the car and I'd be happy. And they could provide an Android Auto app to keep Android users happy...

I like the music integration. Its exactly what is needed, but that said, I don't think that has to come in the form of CarPlay. And, outside of this it really doesn't do anything you couldn't perform with "Hey Siri" today. And, do it in a less cumbersome manner.

I was going to say that iOS 9 support CarPlay wirelessly...

Also, App Support is up to the app developers to enable the CarPlay-friendly screens. If you use an app that isn't on CarPlay, encourage the developer to support it.

I really wish Tesla would support it soon -- its designed to supplement the on-board systems (not replace) and gives better integration than we have today... Give us a 1/2 screen CarPlay app in the car and I'd be happy. And they could provide an Android Auto app to keep Android users happy...

Its a hardware and software problem...if history is an indication of the future, both are problematic and even if they do solve for this, I can't imagine it will be a retrofit...in fact, there isn't a car company on the planet that offers the integration after the fact because any significant integration will require that hardware component and the wiring just isn't plug and play...Ive had BMWs that appear on the surface to be a simple fix; both even have the same phone cradle to the eye; however, BMW apps isn't retro because the entire wiring harness is different. I had the same experience with my Porsche and their integration offering. And that was just to access Apps available in their world and interface with the phone.

I just don't see it happening, and now I know more about it, I don't see it as a bad thing at all...

It's almost entirely a software problem, not a hardware one. The hardware "interface" is USB post and/or WiFi (in iOS9). Both of which the Model S has.

Upgrading other cars are irrelevant, since none are designed like the model S. The Model S has a general CPU running Linux. It's a computer on wheels. Heck, you can even plug a mouse in and control a cursor on screen.

The Massachusetts legislature is holding hearings as part of the push for laws requiring "handheld device free driving" and Tesla's lack of Carplay integration or its Android equivalent is going to become a big problem if these proposals become law. The current Tesla controls do not permit me to easily control the IOS 9 Podcast app and since I spend most of my Tesla driving time listening to podcasts not music or the radio, this is going to be a problem for me. I like virtually every aspect of my 85D but this is one area where it can be improved. I don't think Carplay should replace any of the car's built in functionality but should be one of the items on the current sparsely populated Apps tab.

See here: Hong Kong Tesla Special Event - 25th January 2016 6:30pm HKT - Page 2

In Hong Kong, last night, Elon Musk said:

As we have sort of thought about it more, the logic thing to do from an App standpoint it to maybe allow Apps on your iPhone or Android to project onto the centre display, as opposed to trying to create a new App ecosystem. So that is probably going to be our focus in the future - to enable you to project Apps from your phone to the centre screen.

Wow. That is a pretty clear statement of change of direction and support for car play and Android auto. It is something I'm really looking forward to.

Volvo has one of the better new car systems. They allow carplay to be projected on half the screen. Not really elegantly integrated, but it works.

Tesla will be forced to do something like this. Even if they could replicate the apps, the Tesla programs wouldn't integrate well with the owners computer ecosystem (icloud or whatever). This is the area that Apple will need to exploit well to differentiate an Apple car from everyone else.

Most people in the apple ecosystem probably wouldn't pay a premium for a car just because it is built by Apple. But most Apple users would pay a premium for a car that was superior an integrating Apple functionality.

See here: Hong Kong Tesla Special Event - 25th January 2016 6:30pm HKT - Page 2

In Hong Kong, last night, Elon Musk said:

Wow. That is a pretty clear statement of change of direction and support for car play and Android auto. It is something I'm really looking forward to.

Great news and much easier for them to support I would imagine. They still could get around to supporting native apps among a few approved developers but at least this takes the issue off the table once it is done.