Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the AWD Model 3 Need Snow Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It comes down to whether or not you know how to drive in the snow. Some people are idiots and like to drive like its summer - if that is you then I'd definitely recommend winter tires. You can get through most snow seasons if you keep your distance, stop early, leave early, and accelerate smoothly.

In the end it comes down to driver skill. I've been able to get my Mazda 3 thru several winters with just all season tires just by taking my time and keeping my distance and braking appropriately. Granted, a few moments with black ice had me scared - winter tires would've been good in that respect as it all comes down to grip.

I live in a province where snow tires are mandetory. Even if they were not I would get them. I have had AWD and 4wd cars and SUVs doesn’t matter how good you think you are black ice, ice ,slush and snow are part of living in a climate that has winter. Why take a chance? Your are putting all the odds on your side. Also 2 sets of tire last longer. Your all season tires will not be that good next winter.

@Toddsquad. The APA in Canada recommends the Pirellis. I have had only Bridgestone Blizzaks on my cars but I will be buying the Tesla’s package in the fall. If I don’t like them I’ll throw some Blizzaks on.

I've lived in Minnesota for years, land of 10000 lakes and a billion SUVs. In the winter, you're as likely to see a SUV in the ditch as you are a FWD sedan.

In fact, I've very, very rarely encountered a situation where FWD with all season tires won't get you going as long as you don't drive like an idiot. Stopping can be another story. And besides, exactly how much snow can you drive through? Based on looks, the M3 makes a crappy plow. The famous MS in Norway video: I've driven through snow like that often with FWD.

For me, I just ordered a M3 RWD. I admit that I was tempted to buy the AWD but concerned about the tax credit. But I've been driving a FWD for the last 5 years. My logic has been the a RWD M3 with all seasons is as good (or better) than my FWD.

Your personal situation plays a part. For example, we're retired and don't have to drive to work if we don't want to.

If we have enough money to afford a Tesla we have enough money to get a good set of winter tires plus wheels. Of course one can get by, but... it only takes one chance when one cannot stop well enough to make one realize that is a foolish economy. I'll go a step further and suggest that buying these:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - Non-studded Tire / Nokian Tires

Maybe I am too conservative but once, many years ago i tried to economize and ended out sliding into someone else's car, a friend's, actually. That cured me.
I suggest looking at it this way: You'll have longer tire life on your summer tires, so it is not 100% redundant cost.
Nokian H: best snow tires I've ever owned.

Reactions: eigenv1
americans just dont seem to get it. winter tires all the way.

I'm American, but I get it. Have snow tires for all my vehicles that I intend to drive in snow, but 2WD and 4WD. It is just basic physics, aka friction. Snow tires give you more friction in cold conditions and on slippery surfaces. My favorite for the past six years has been the Michelin X-Ice series, works great on ski trips to California Sierra mountains.

We're awaiting delivery on a Dual Motor Model 3. It will live in the Boston area, so, it will encounter snow and hills, but no mountains and few heavy snow falls like we have in the California mountains. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the advisability or necessity of winter tires in that area.

I think any answer to this question depends on where you live. In my experience, all seasons work fine in the cold weather and are ok in light snow. What others have said about braking is of course true, but the tradeoff with real winter tires is that they are terrible when the weather warms up and aren't really that great in the dry, either.

In the Washington, DC area it gets cold but we only get heavy snowfall maybe 2x a year--and it typically melts pretty quickly thereafter. It also tends to get warm (ie above 40 degrees) pretty frequently during the winter.

In this environment, I don't see any need for winter tires over all seasons except for one thing: with RWD, all-season tires simply aren't up to the task of climbing hills when it snows. I tried foregoing snows with my first RWD S85 and it really didn't work. Even "performance" snows, though, aren't that great with RWD on the hills in my neighborhood.

On the other hand, with AWD and all seasons I've never had any problem with traction.

In Boston, where you get more snow and it lasts longer and you don't have as many warm winter days, I'd say that snows are maybe a little more important, but I would probably give it a go for a season and see what happens.

I will get snow tires for my AWD in Michigan. Makes for more enjoyable performance in snowy weather. Yes, I could drive slower and be ok with all seasons... but I bought AWD because it will be more fun to drive, so I’m not going to handicap it with sub optimal tires.

Reactions: Snow Drift
In the Mid-Atlantic we can have winters where we get no snow, or we get a rare 30" season (like in 2010/2011) or we get nickel and dime snows over and over again (in the weather tracking forums, we called 2017/2018 "the winter that wouldn't end").
Coming from upstate NY, I'm pretty good in the snow. However, this will be the first car I've ever had that will come with 19' sport wheels.
So I'm thinking of just driving our 400h suv when it snows, like I've been doing the last 12 years.

It comes down to whether or not you know how to drive in the snow. Some people are idiots and like to drive like its summer - if that is you then I'd definitely recommend winter tires. You can get through most snow seasons if you keep your distance, stop early, leave early, and accelerate smoothly.

In the end it comes down to driver skill. I've been able to get my Mazda 3 thru several winters with just all season tires just by taking my time and keeping my distance and braking appropriately. Granted, a few moments with black ice had me scared - winter tires would've been good in that respect as it all comes down to grip.
Absolutely! I’ve been driving in NJ over 20 years and have owned mostly Subaru’s with all-season tires. Never had any issues during the winters in light or heavy snow. Now, ice is a different story. Even in my Subaru during a winter I’m not driving as though it’s summertime. I’ve seen numerous cars whizz by me in sedans, trucks, and SUV’s and most of them end up in accidents or a ditch further down the highway. Does AWD help? Yes. Do snow tires help? Yes. However; more importantly, how you drive makes a huge difference in inclement weather.

I have driven every combination. Fwd all season, fwd winters, rwd all season, rwd winters, awd all season, awd winters. I even got caught driving summer tires on an awd wrx....with a dusting of snow. That was scariest 10mile drive home...no issues to get going....but if I tried to turn or brake...would just slide. and that right there is the biggest difference between snow tires and all other tires...Regardless of drivetrain. You’ll get buy fine with awd and all weather tires. BUT If you want confidence you can turn or stop in an emergency, and not slide through an intersection or hit the car in front, there’s a huge difference with a good winter tire. Even on a hard packed/icy road, you can put a cup of water on the dashboard....slam the brakes and make the water spill or even fall over. Keep in mind you might be able to stop...but the person behind you might have all weathers and not be able to stop in the same distance ....so you need to be mindful of that. Plus being able to just grip and pull ahead of everyone from a stoplight always puts a smile on my face :)

@Toddsquad. The APA in Canada recommends the Pirellis. I have had only Bridgestone Blizzaks on my cars but I will be buying the Tesla’s package in the fall. If I don’t like them I’ll throw some Blizzaks on.[/QUOTE]

@Tzoid Was the recommendation specific to the model 3? I just went on the APA site ( Automobile Protection Association | 2017-2018 Winter Tire Reviews: Passenger Car, Minivan, & Compacy SUV Tires ) and for the 17-18 winter tire season (i guess the 18-19 will come out later) i see just two cars rated as A: Blizzak WS80 and Hakkapelitta R2. The pirelli (though it is not the model Telsa sells ) is under the B category along with michelin. Was that specific model listed elsewhere? Thanks

I definitely understand the benefits to using winter tires over all season tires, even with all wheel drive. However, my understanding is that, in warm weather, winter tires will quickly degrade and become dangerous. So what to do if you live in California where the winter temperatures in the lower altitudes reach the 60’s everyday and yet you spend many weekends or even weeks in the snow in the Sierra. Aside from swapping out tires around every trip, it would seem the compromise of all season tires is necessary. And even if you did swap out, there’s still the multi-hour drive through warm temperatures to get to the snow.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Here's a rear wheel drive Tesla in the snow:

It handles better than an ICE car because of the computer controlled traction system and the fact that an electric motor can be controlled much more precisely.

The traction control of Tesla even in rwd, but especially in awd is a game changer. Many experienced winter drivers are answering this thread, but few with experience with Tesla's traction control. I can tell you that at least with the MX with stock Continental all seasons is better than any Subaru I have owned with Nokian R2's or Bridgestone X-Ice. The Nokian R2's on the MX help even more especially if you drive a little over aggressively in winter conditions, but I could more than get by without them.

On the other hand, driving the summer tires in winter conditions is a completely different story. I once got a loaner MX with summer tires during a winter storm in VT. My wife actually had to call me 1/2 mile from the house to have me drive the MX loaner home. She had slid about 60 yards or so through a stop sign and she is an experienced winter driver! The MX with the summer tires (maybe a little over worn ones) is truly dangerous.

Here is the clincher, though. I bet few answering this thread has experienced the cost and hassle of bringing a Tesla to a body shop. For us it was a 2 month ordeal with a price tag high enough to buy a new economy car. Because of this experience, we will always use great winter tires in the winter. Any slight advantage you can get to avoid having to go to the body shop is more than worth the time/money cost of buying and having to switch to winter tires in the winter. GL this winter everyone and drive carefully; the Tesla traction control is magic, but will only partially compensate for bad tires or driving.

Reactions: Tzoid
So what to do if you live in California where the winter temperatures in the lower altitudes reach the 60’s everyday and yet you spend many weekends or even weeks in the snow in the Sierra. Aside from swapping out tires around every trip, it would seem the compromise of all season tires is necessary.

Yes the compromise is necessary here in my opinion. We live at 700' elevation and get snow an average of 1 day every 3 years, but in an hour or 3 we can drive to high altitude areas with heavy snowfall. The solution we use is good quality all-season's, replacing them when the tread depth is down to 4-5/32" (half worn), and DRIVING SLOWLY in snow since braking and cornering traction is low and unpredictable, even if starting traction is OK. If you engage in winter sports or need to drive over snow-covered passes on the west coast, do not allow your all-season tires to wear below 4/32".