Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the free FSD trial convince you to purchase FSD?

Do you intend to purchase FSD when your free trial runs out?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Not offered free trial/already had it/other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
xcyber - come back in 10 years...they'll still be talking about FSD version 26.11.00 or similar.
Full autonomy isn't going to happen as we know it. Full stop. It will require a containment area to capture or prevent stray or bandit autonomous vehicles. IE: Driverless cars locked into a road surface system or overhead system. Think about it - without such constraints there is too much that can go wrong and people will die needlessly - no government will absorb this sort of melt down of an industry!
"Enhanced" is about as good as it is going to get. Car does everything asked of it during FSD.......BUT there will need to be a human very close by following through at all times.

My wife's been using it daily and loves it. Her only issues are that it doesn't know what to do with itself at the end of the drive (then prompts you to explain why you cancelled it), and it doesn't signal right turns / exits from roundabouts. (Which is kind of a big deal in Waterloo Region with its 36 roundabouts.)

I've tried it twice, and to that I'll add a further complaint: The settings should let you set a percentage to speed by rather than an offset. 20 over is fine on a 400 series highway but deadly in a residential area, whereas if I could set it to do 20% over that would be much more useful.

Reactions: mrElbe
I've tested this more and it is just so not ready for prime time. It makes a million little mistakes. It drives unnaturally. Stops are not smooth. It would fail any drivers exam for certain. I feel bad for people that have actually purchased this. The years and years of hype are still not reality.

I won't say it is not impressive, because it is definitely impressive, but it does not feel like a finished product at all. As others have said, it feels like something you show to people who have never seen it before and then never use it again. I much much prefer basic autopilot. In fact, I wish they would have another step lower where it's just cruise control and not even traffic aware cruise control since they've ditched the radar and now even my cruise is a problem when it's too sunny out.

My wife's been using it daily and loves it. Her only issues are that it doesn't know what to do with itself at the end of the drive (then prompts you to explain why you cancelled it), and it doesn't signal right turns / exits from roundabouts. (Which is kind of a big deal in Waterloo Region with its 36 roundabouts.)

I've tried it twice, and to that I'll add a further complaint: The settings should let you set a percentage to speed by rather than an offset. 20 over is fine on a 400 series highway but deadly in a residential area, whereas if I could set it to do 20% over that would be much more useful.
This is exactly my feedback too. The lane ending is also one other issue.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I also didn’t enjoy the faster stops and starts. Seems to brake for stop signs too late and when it leaves after the hesitation it goes up to max speed too quick. Not good for efficiency.

Also the car will take bends and turns at full speed. Not far from where I live there is an”Z” bend on a one way in a 40 zone with cars parked in both sides so only a single lane for travel. The car tried taking it at 40. Kids & dogs cross this at this place all the time along with throwing open of parked car doors.

No compliants here. FSD is pretty insane.

Love FSD for those drives where you are just tired and don't want to think about driving. Funny enough, it's actually saved me a few times from speed traps. The only part that's sketcy is when you have a store destination within a plaza/big lot setting where FSD navigates to the store front. I mean it accomplishes the goal, but navigating through the parking lot, even at slow speeds, just makes me nervous. It would be epic if FSD tries to find a parking spot at your destination.

When I got my first Tesla back in 2019, we paid around $9,000 for FSD. I was disappointed to learn that it wasn't transferrable when I sold the car and got another in 2021. For this reason alone, I refuse to spend any more dollars on it. Maybe if there was a long trip planned, i'd make an adhoc purchase for one month.

Honestly, we all drive differently. Tesla FSD will NEVER satisfy everyone 100%. For example, my wife dislikes the acceleration because it causes her to experience motion sickness, while my sister thinks it should pick up speed faster. To you, it may never feel like a finished product because it will not drive just like you. I am sure you are not everyone's cup of tea either because I am sure some people think you are too slow or you drive too aggressively. The main criteria for FSD should be, did it get you to your destination and how safe is it. The base is there and now it is time to work on the 9s.

The main criteria should be:
It will ALWAYS get you to your destination and it will ALWAYS guarantee your safety.
And that is the problem.........this is a pipe dream......and yet thousands, possibly even hundreds of thousands have paid serious money betting on a pipe dream. Naive is too weak a word!
FSD will never be perfect.
Human drivers are never perfect (and often terrible).
The real question is how much better does FSD have to be than a human?

mspohr - just think about what I said for a second.
It is rare - exceptionally rare - infinitessimally rare - vanishingly rare.......
that a human being with family onboard for instance - will deliberately slam the brakes on at speed in the fast lane of a highway (phantom braking). The same goes for deliberately wandering into the path of oncoming traffic. Or purposefully jumping a red light.
ALL of these things - a tesla in FSD, has been recorded as having done.

Shall we set the bar (for FSD) as being the same as human frailty perhaps. Now that would be progress indeed!
And yet that goal seems years.....even decades off. Too many variables out there for a car with 'cameras' (one has to chuckle here) to assimilate and translate into electronic messages to a data bus which then CONTROLS the car????

FSD not only has to be ATLEAST as good as a human but far far safer - for us humans to want to invest the safety of our family in.
It is NOT going to happen the way automotive (autonomous) designers/manufacturers are trying to make it happen. Legislation will suffocate it. It will end up forcing OEM's to guarantee safety and the only way for that to happen if we genuinely want to sit in a driverless car with no steering wheel - is if the car/vehicle is either tethered to a track or rail or the vehicle is restrained within a containment area like a tube!
Then and only then can you sit in the back of the vehicle, next to your 2 year old and play games on your way to nursery for instance - without worrying "what if"?

It is rare - exceptionally rare - infinitessimally rare - vanishingly rare.......
that a human being with family onboard for instance - will deliberately slam the brakes on at speed in the fast lane of a highway (phantom braking). The same goes for deliberately wandering into the path of oncoming traffic. Or purposefully jumping a red light.
Drunk drivers (and sober) do this all the time.
So... How much safer does FSD need to be?

The deal breaker before it even becomes a consideration is it disables normal cruise if I want to control the steering wheel and have the car hold a constant speed. I didn't have full confidence in the decisions it was making and stop signs, I found some of it's own speed changes more abrupt than necessary and I struggled to get it to drive at the speed I wanted it to for the roadway, or to stop it from driving at an inappropriate speed.

Overall it's not ready for me for off-highway use.

That said, I am enjoying the enhanced autopilot (I've turned FSD off). I do a lot of highway driving and enjoy the mix of lane changes being executed on demand with the turn signal and with speed control that I find easier to manage and limit. IMO, this functionality should be incorporated into base AP since it's so close to already doing it. I get that they want to upsell, but $7.8k for this? Ya.... no. My new S3XY buttons /& knob get me 3/4 the way there with base autopilot for a fraction of the cost.

Auto-park did impress me. I've used it a couple of times and it's been bang on, one shot, in and centered. Cool! Needed? No, but cool, yes. I'd use it from time to time if I had it, but I'm not paying nearly $8k to get it.

Reactions: Smytty
Overall, I've been pretty impressed with the free trial. For a while, I regretting not buying in at the lower price back in 2019. But in hindsight, opting in now during the warmer months via subscription, will probably be cheaper in the long run.

My weekly trips into Toronto have been a lot more relaxing since I no longer need to engage/disengage for lane changes. City driving has been pretty solid, hoping more confident right turns and better approaches to left turns in intersections (S-Approach please!) would be EXTREMELY welcome.

Reactions: mspohr
The main criteria should be:
It will ALWAYS get you to your destination and it will ALWAYS guarantee your safety.
And that is the problem.........this is a pipe dream......and yet thousands, possibly even hundreds of thousands have paid serious money betting on a pipe dream. Naive is too weak a word!
Sorry, Nothing can ALWAYS guarantee your safety. There are always idiots on the road that drive distracted, racing, etc. The car can be 100% but all it takes is a Marco Muzzo or a Brampton driver to take you out and there is nothing the car can do about it. That human idiot factor is what makes it so challenging. People are so unpredictable...is this person going to cross or is it just a girl standing on the side of the road waiting for her friend John?? Even as a human driver, I cannot guarantee you that you will be 100% safe, nor can you even though you and most people overestimate their driving abilities. Also, the cost of FSD is a serious amount to you, but that amount means very different things to different people so who are we to judge?

CarGo - I am talking from an holistic perspective. The software engineers must protect the occupants in all scenarios of NORMAL driving. When ALL cars are aotunomous - there will be no boy racers!
Problem is......getting from now to when autonomy is compulsory - that is the minefield.

CarGo - I am talking from an holistic perspective. The software engineers must protect the occupants in all scenarios of NORMAL driving. When ALL cars are aotunomous - there will be no boy racers!
Problem is......getting from now to when autonomy is compulsory - that is the minefield.
And even if/when all cars are autonomous, there will still be issues. People crossing the street willy nilly, kids chasing a ball onto the street, deer and other animals..etc. A big one is weather and ice. Even myself with decades of experience sometime has trouble with that. For example, I did the Porsche winter driving experience and plowed a beautiful Porsche into a snowbank. My examples above are normal driving and they can occur at any time and no amount of training will be able to eliminate all risks. FSD safety is not a pipe dream like you said...like it or not, unless you are Lewis Hamilton, you and I are average drivers...5/10..maybe 6/10 or possibly 4/10. If Tesla can get a 10/10 driver as their reference driver and FSD become 8/10, then we will all be safer and I think that should be the overall goal. We are only in early innings.

Reactions: mspohr
Tesla US just cut the price of FSD monthly subcriptions to half $99/mo USD. Also Canada will be getting it for $99/00 CND. once it start rolling the monthly subscription .

I see that in app as well. However, the cost to buy FSD is still the same ($12k US) and, even more bizarrely, the cost to buy EAP is still the same ($6k US). At $99/month, buying it outright for $12k seems insane and buying EAP seems like a mistake.