Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the free FSD trial convince you to purchase FSD?

Do you intend to purchase FSD when your free trial runs out?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

• Not offered free trial/already had it/other

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it’s truly $99 a month, then I’ll subscribe.
GOT HIM🤣

IMG_7879.jpeg

First day of FSD trial curbed my wheel requiring a tire rebalance. Won’t be buying.

Maybe FSD trial is secretly sponsored by replacement wheel manufacturers?

• Funny
Reactions: mborkow
Tesla has a business model problem. I doubt many in Canada would pay $20,000 upfront for FSD. Investing in a GIC and using returns to cover the subscription seems more practical. Plus, if you subscribe first and then buy, you'd end up paying $20,000 plus subscription costs, as FSD isn't transferable.

Tesla has a business model problem. I doubt many in Canada would pay $20,000 upfront for FSD. Investing in a GIC and using returns to cover the subscription seems more practical. Plus, if you subscribe first and then buy, you'd end up paying $20,000 plus subscription costs, as FSD isn't transferable.
I agree.
Clearly this is in flux... stay tuned for more developments.

I think reducing the subscription cost instead of the one time purchase is smart. If they had reduced the one time fee, the small minority who may have full price would have cried blue murder. Now, there isn’t a peep!

By the way, I have subscribed. I just hold the yoke and listen to songs. I can’t touch the phone as my S yells at me! Driving in traffic is a pleasure!! The only think I have to watch out is when my lane is ending.

Last edited:
I think reducing the subscription cost instead of the one time purchase is smart. If they had reduced the one time fee, the small minority who may have full price would have cried blue murder. Now, there isn’t a peep!

By the way, I have subscribed. I just hold the yoke and listen to songs. I can’t touch the phone as my S yells at me! Driving in traffic is a pleasure!! The only think I have to watch out is when my lane is ending.
If I had paid full price I would be upset.

I hope you are right!
I guess I spoke too soon LoL, it’s now at 11k instead of 16k, well subscription is still cheaper.

Btw got an email stating my trial will end on 28th and that I should subscribe. What caught my eye was under the list of capabilities it says smart summon but not summon yet I don’t see any smart summon option.

I know a friend of mine who has M3 with USS and he has summon option.

Summon vs. smart Summon
I haven't experienced them myself, but as I understand it:

Summon basically moves in a straight line either forwards or backwards. For example, you could line the car up for a tight parking spot, get out of the car, and then move it into the space by remote .

Smart Summon is supposed to be able to navigate to you, like moving from a parking space an aisle over to a curb where you're standing and waiting for it.

what is the difference between the two? I have neither, though I have subscribed and on HW4.

Whatever you guys may say, I love it. It definitely makes driving a lot easier (but for some it may less fun - the stick vs. auto transmission syndrome).
Yep I really like it too and I come from driving V8 and turbo fours and V6s cars as I love driving.

A lot of people don’t understand difference between driving and commuting, this is great for commuting and you can always not use it when you feel like driving 🙂

@joelkfla has explained the difference between Summon and Smart Summon correctly

I believe I saw some news where it says they are supposed to merge them and create A Smarter Summon(A.S.S. LoL)

All valid points.

As someone who is 'stuck' with FSD because I 'bought' it, I will say that on divided, controlled access highways it is worth subscribing for road trips. I can switch between TACC+Autosteer and FSDS on the fly and on a 400 series highway, FSD is smoother. There is such a noticeable difference, that is why I have 2 profiles, one with FSD enabled, one without. It is important to note, though, the actual software used in this situation is the V11 FSDb software, they haven't implemented V12 on controlled access highways yet.

I hate my tesla and will never buy another but it is my understanding the Enhanced AutoPilot was head and shoulders above other vehicles before V12 was available and I will miss what it could do. I won't miss a TACC that doesn't stay set at the speed I requested, because it knows better (I don't speed, I use CC to maintain the speed limit since I have a tendency to drive slowly), or that simply won't work when it is too foggy or deep dark, or on highway 60 in Ontario where it reads the highway number sign as the speed limit and slows quickly to 60kph each time I drive by one (something reports from the US show is not fixed in V12 yet.) I also won't miss the faulty wipers that must be set to auto in order to use either AP or FSD.

Compared to previous versions, the V12 on city streets is head and shoulders above previous versions (which I never used, I would try each new version, it would eff up, scare the crap out of me, requiring a takeover within a couple of blocks each time and then I would not try it until the next version.) So far, we've had to disengage because it made mistakes on city streets but because it no longer speeds as much, those mistakes were predictable so my attentive supervising driver worked with the software and as a passenger I never felt at risk. It handled on/off the 401 smoothly (V12 sometimes has problems with the handover to V11 on highways but it was fine for us. Personally, I haven't tested it thoroughly yet except for a neighbourhood drive. At two T stop-sign controlled intersections where it had to make an unprotected left and immediate right during steady flow traffic of people cutting through my residential, 30kph neighbourhood, it did amazingly well.

But despite taking the car out 6 times since that test drive, I have not tried out FSDS again because it is slower and requires more effort to use than just driving myself. And I tend to time things too tight so don't have time for my car to come to a complete stop and pause, at the 6 stop signs between me and the street that leads me to most of my destinations. The only time I'd be tempted to let the car do that is if I was driving in my neighbourhood and would be holding up all the people who cut through it to make an illegal turn in order to shorten their time in the heavy traffic to get to the bridge.

If one is supervising properly, one must pay attention to everything the car does and all inputs from around you and if the car is slowing down suddenly, is that a software glitch or is there a danger coming from you blind side, that it can see because it sees in all directions at once?

That additional stress while driving isn't what I want "Autonomous Driver Assist Software" to do. I want ADAS to take over one of the simple tasks (i.e. maintain speed and maybe even lane keeping if there are no potholes) while I handle anticipating hazards coming at me. Or to handle stop and go in heavy traffic, so I can chill out and get through the slowdown without being stressed-out. AP currently does that very well. FSDS tries to find the fastest lane so is very stressful in that case because you become the a-hole on the highway butting in and switching from lane to lane to gain a few seconds.
This sums up my thoughts perfectly (and better than I could have said).

At least I learned that FSD will be worth it when one can just read a book, take a nap and not pay any attention to the driving-just like having a driver. Even if its still slower than driving yourself, you may not care because you are free and can do what you want.

I think I will know when FSD is ready when Tesla becomes responsible for any incidents and accidents, just like if I was in an Uber.