Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the Mod3 PXXD be quicker than the S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is now. All 90D packs come with the new hardware.
OK. Perhaps the hardware is cheap enough to include in all Model 3 PxxD's--don't know, that's why I said "may not be an option." The other reason is that there is no signature Model 3, which makes me think they might not include all the high end options from Model S/X on Model 3. Wouldn't be surprised either way. Guess we'll have to wait and see. (Personally, I hope they don't hold back any options.)

Thats interesting, do you have a source for this?

ludicrous P90D after delivery?

You misunderstood.

The fuse and inconel components Elon referred to were implemented for the 90kwh battery packs. 85kwh cars do not have those parts. All P90 cars coming out of the factory have those parts, but the customer pays a premium to have the extra ludicrous capability (10k) activated. P90D insane -> P90D ludicrous is a software upgrade (not explicitly offered by TM). P85D insane -> P85D ludicrous is a hardware upgrade.

I know this is in fact true because my SC had a P90D which I was going to test drive a month or so ago - but I was disappointed to find out it only had insane mode, not ludicrous. A week or so later, my SC informed they upgraded the car to ludicrous - same exact car. They stated the car threw some faults with the software upgrade initially, but was fully upgraded to ludicrous without any hardware changes. They explicitly told me the battery packs and components in both cars are the same.

I don't see a reason why Ludicrous would not be an option on the Model 3 it's only software. It also stand to reason that the performance models will be available with the performance people are willing to pay for.
I totally agree. Ludicrous mode is a huge value-add option that costs TMC relatively little in terms of parts cost once R&D is paid for. I would make sense for them to offer it on the 3 for those who want to pony up the extra cash.

Sub-5s... Sub-4s... Sub-3s... Coming right up!

It's simple really... What is the current fastest metric for a BMW M3 in 0-60 MPH and 1/4 mile? Subtract at least 0.5 seconds from each, and that will be the goal for the Model ☰ P100D. Later, when a Model ☰ P135D is available, look for a top speed over 300 KPH... and closing in on 400 KPH. Copper wiring and software. That's all it takes for Tesla Motors to defeat ICE once and for all, and do so both convincingly and embarrassingly.

I'm confident in the near future the Model 3 top version will come with a insane option, model s with a ludicrous option and the future Roaster with maximum plaid option. I don't think the model 3 will come out anytime soon with a ludicrous option considering the Model S would have to be better in something right? Also I'll expect massive interior upgrades to the Model S in the future as it's not in the same league as it's ICE completion. I believe the model 3 will be a vampire to the model S sales if they don't significantly upgrade it and make it more luxurious. Considering the massive price difference to the 3 and S. Regarding the the weight of the m3 my estimation is 1550kg- 1800kg. I would be surprised if it below or above that range.

Last edited:
I'm confident in the near future the Model 3 top version will come with a insane option, model s with a ludicrous option and the future Roaster with maximum plaid option. I don't think the model 3 will come out anytime soon with a ludicrous option considering the Model S would have to be better in something right? Also I'll expect massive interior upgrades to the Model S in the future as it's not in the same league as it's ICE completion. I believe the model 3 will be a vampire to the model S sales if they don't significantly upgrade it and make it more luxurious. Considering the massive price difference to the 3 and S. Regarding the the weight of the m3 my estimation is 1550kg- 1800kg. I would be surprised if it below or above that range.
Once again... When a company attempts to protect sales of their high end cars (Lexus LS) by wimping out their entry level vehicles (Lexus IS) the result is that the BMW 3-Series whomps its butt in sales. That is NOT a valid strategy at all.

By now, anyone who doesn't realize that purchasing Tesla Motors products has nothing whatsoever to do with 'luxury' and everything to do with TECHNOLOGY isn't paying proper attention. Anyone that has the money to spend on 'luxury' features, has the money to spend MORE money on a slower Porsche Panamera that is decked out to the nines. Or... They can use that difference in price and take their Tesla Model S to a custom coachbuilder to install all the pillows, quilting, lace, embroidery, and saddleback leather their heart desires.

If any version of the Tesla Model ☰ weighs as little as 3,417 lbs (1,550 kg) I will be very pleasantly surprised. 3,700 lbs is roughly 80% of the weight of the Tesla Model S 60. A possible 3,968 lbs (1,800 kg) for the dual motor version of the car with the largest battery pack is perhaps about right, but also is very optimistic. Still, it is within my anticipated range of 3,900 to 4,100 lbs for a dual motor Model ☰.

FYI... The BMW M3 Sedan is shown as having a 3,540 lbs (Manual) and 3,595 lbs (Automatic) curb weight. The BMW M4 Coupe is listed with a 3,530 to 3,585 lbs curb weight... The BMW M4 Convertible is 4,055 to 4,110 lbs.

Reactions: wallet.dat and jkk_
Not a chance that the Mod3 will come in at under 4000lbs. Or at least I HOPE it comes in over 4000lbs because that means it'll be stuffed full of batteries, to the tune of maybe 80kWh+. I'm just wondering whether the P rear motor from the S will be an option for the Mod3 as well.

Not a chance that the Mod3 will come in at under 4000lbs. Or at least I HOPE it comes in over 4000lbs because that means it'll be stuffed full of batteries, to the tune of maybe 80kWh+. I'm just wondering whether the P rear motor from the S will be an option for the Mod3 as well.
I expect that the Model ☰ will either have battery pack sizes of 60 kWh and 90 kWh... Or 70 kWh and 100 kWh. They will not be as heavy as the versions for the Model S. And, for a given capacity, the Model ☰ will have a greater range than a Model S. So, my heaviest estimate would be for a dual motor all wheel drive car with the 100 kWh battery pack at 4,100 lbs.

Reactions: wallet.dat
II don't think the model 3 will come out anytime soon with a ludicrous option considering the Model S would have to be better in something right
Assume nothing. I've said it before, I'll say it again: Roadster, Model S, and Model X were a means to an end -- getting to Model 3. It's foolhardy to assume that any of those 3 (R,S,X) would be "protected" to the detriment of 3.

Reactions: Red Sage
Assume nothing. I've said it before, I'll say it again: Roadster, Model S, and Model X were a means to an end -- getting to Model 3. It's foolhardy to assume that any of those 3 (R,S,X) would be "protected" to the detriment of 3.

Not only that, but to the point made by many others on here:

the margins on the Model 3 will be slim, especially at the lower end.

If they can get some of us to check all of the boxes on the Design Studio, they absolutely will. I'm almost certain we'll have a Ludicrous option, if not for that reason alone.

Easy answer to this question... say you sell a $150,000 car in top spec performance edition.. would you want the $80,000 cheaper model to outperform it ? All that matters is that its faster / cheaper an er, lol, better economy, than equivalent priced competition from other makers.

Using BMW as an example...
355 (rwd) based spec vs 120i (or d)
355D vs 330i
375D vs 335i
P375D VS M4

Ok the Tesla won't handle as well or beat one round a track, but here in real world where 95% of my mileage is the drudgery of driving to work and back... who cares. I'm 43 and so far in my life I've done 1 track day - not using my own car, but a circuit owned Lotus Elise and 911S. However I've taken part in roughly 25,000 traffic light grand prix. ;)

In fact lets define what's A RACE is actually about... it's getting to somewhere before someone else. Why? Because faster is better... why? Because then you have a car that get you to your destination quicker. And you have a few more seconds of your life to spend texting or talking about how fast you got to work.

The M3 will come with autopilot as standard and maybe one day you can do other stuff while commuting (legislation permitting). In the mean time, enjoy the fact that you'll get to work in exactly the same amount of time, but never have to visit a gas station, ever. So no 5-10 minutes pit stop every 400 miles. In my case saving about 40 minutes a month. Enough to write this post at least 4 times ;-)

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: Colsla and Red Sage
By now, anyone who doesn't realize that purchasing Tesla Motors products has nothing whatsoever to do with 'luxury' and everything to do with TECHNOLOGY isn't paying proper attention. Anyone that has the money to spend on 'luxury' features, has the money to spend MORE money on a slower Porsche Panamera that is decked out to the nines. Or... They can use that difference in price and take their Tesla Model S to a custom coachbuilder to install all the pillows, quilting, lace, embroidery, and saddleback leather their heart desires.
This gives me an idea... do you think Telsa would let me have one without the interior and all the computers. Just seat mounts and a throttle and brake pedal (ideally drilled aluminium). Bare metal floor.... Ear plugs are a lot cheaper than carpet, not that you need them in an EV! Well maybe on our carp (not a fish) UK roads. RS edition ;) Following Porsche they'd have to make it more expensive despite giving you none of the comfort features.

How do Saleen source their cars? Are they direct from Telsa or do you take your own along after delivery and throw away all the bits you just paid good money for?

This gives me an idea... do you think Telsa would let me have one without the interior and all the computers. Just seat mounts and a throttle and brake pedal (ideally drilled aluminium). Bare metal floor.... Ear plugs are a lot cheaper than carpet, not that you need them in an EV! Well maybe on our carp (not a fish) UK roads. RS edition ;) Following Porsche they'd have to make it more expensive despite giving you none of the comfort features.

How do Saleen source their cars? Are they direct from Telsa or do you take your own along after delivery and throw away all the bits you just paid good money for?
Hard to say. I don't think anyone has bought a Saleen.

I expect that the Model ☰ will either have battery pack sizes of 60 kWh and 90 kWh... Or 70 kWh and 100 kWh. They will not be as heavy as the versions for the Model S. And, for a given capacity, the Model ☰ will have a greater range than a Model S. So, my heaviest estimate would be for a dual motor all wheel drive car with the 100 kWh battery pack at 4,100 lbs.
I agree.Dont start with 40kWh or 60kWh as these sizes will be antiquated soon enough ( ala MS).70-100 kWh seems like a much better option than increments of 5kWh at a time.

215 miles / 4 miles per kWh = 53.75 kWh Call it 55. Or add 5 to make 6 0with some unused capacity in reserve.

My i3 can manage 4 miles per kWh despite being shaped like er, nothing I can think of that's aerodynamic (or even not aerodynamic). LOL. Ah - darth vaders helmet (which is probably more aerodynamic). 3.6 is the long term average over 28,000 miles mostly motorways at 70-75mph including 2 winters and 1 summer.