Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will we have to leave Bluetooth on all the time on our phones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car doesn't unlock just because it's in range. All car fobs have a pretty long range, and I can unlock my Model S easily from inside the house by pressing the button, but guess what, it only auto unlocks when I'm within a few feet of it.

Bluetooth LE can determine the distance of the device. Once connected it can track the distance and unlock when the distance is less than a certain amount.

Bluetooth LE can do that. Do we know that the Model 3 is actually set up to do that, too? Or are we assuming, since it makes sense? I ask because I didn't catch a mention of this feature in the manual.
Robin

In the Model S, the primary factor is that the car is sending a signal to the fob, so the fob's low-power receiver has to be close enough to "hear" it and respond with the proper command. If instead you just click the fob, it transmits the command immediately. Now whether it transmits with a more powerful signal in this "active" mode vs. the "passive" mode of the car triggering action, that is unknown.

In the Model ≡ , while BT LE can track distance, the question of whether it is implemented is a good one. We shall see in a couple weeks. I would hope Tesla would take the time to code that in given all the S/X complaints of their mirrors unfolding when people walk through their garage. Now you couldn't even counter those people with "why do you walk around with the fob in your pocket?"

Reactions: davedavedave
In the Model S, the primary factor is that the car is sending a signal to the fob, so the fob's low-power receiver has to be close enough to "hear" it and respond with the proper command. If instead you just click the fob, it transmits the command immediately. Now whether it transmits with a more powerful signal in this "active" mode vs. the "passive" mode of the car triggering action, that is unknown.

In the Model ≡ , while BT LE can track distance, the question of whether it is implemented is a good one. We shall see in a couple weeks. I would hope Tesla would take the time to code that in given all the S/X complaints of their mirrors unfolding when people walk through their garage. Now you couldn't even counter those people with "why do you walk around with the fob in your pocket?"

Since the Model X fob uses the exact same Bluetooth LE technology as the 3, and the Model X BTLE fob unlocks the door only when the user gets close to the car, it seems reasonable that the Model 3 will work the same way.

Since the Model X fob uses the exact same Bluetooth LE technology as the 3, and the Model X BTLE fob unlocks the door only when the user gets close to the car, it seems reasonable that the Model 3 will work the same way.

One could say the same for Bluetooth AD2P streaming audio. But yes, I do also believe the Model ≡ will measure distance using BTLE.

Question for those who know: do the S and X measure BT fob distance to unlock the car and extend the door handles at the same time, or does the unlock happen sometime prior? I know the intervals were very carefully arranged so the handles extend when the hand is most likely to be close by. Is that also when the unlock occurs? Or is it a two-step evolution with UNLOCK happening first (at some greater distance), then EXTEND (when close)?
Thanks,
Robin

One key related thing I hope Tesla fix/address in the Model 3 is the ability to start and drive the car when key is outside of the car. In our Model X, we can leave the key in the kitchen and still start and drive the car. It actually surprised me when this happened because all other cars I have driven with keyless system won't start the car when key is outside of the cabin.

Any other MS or MX people have observe this behavior?

Since late 2016, Model X and Model S fobs use BLE instead of the old 315Mhz custom radio....

One key related thing I hope Tesla fix/address in the Model 3 is the ability to start and drive the car when key is outside of the car. In our Model X, we can leave the key in the kitchen and still start and drive the car. It actually surprised me when this happened because all other cars I have driven with keyless system won't start the car when key is outside of the cabin.

Any other MS or MX people have observe this behavior?

My 2013 S will not let you turn on the car if the key is not inside. Now, turn on the car and pass someone the key through the window (perhaps in her purse) and the car will NOT complain while some other makes will start to notify you the key is no longer inside (like my mother's Lexus).

• Informative
Reactions: gambit48
Question for those who know: do the S and X measure BT fob distance to unlock the car and extend the door handles at the same time, or does the unlock happen sometime prior? I know the intervals were very carefully arranged so the handles extend when the hand is most likely to be close by. Is that also when the unlock occurs? Or is it a two-step evolution with UNLOCK happening first (at some greater distance), then EXTEND (when close)?
Thanks,
Robin

The unlock and extend happen at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
If the card is in your wallet, could you just tap your wallet against the car?

I don't use Bluetooth for anything and probably won't in my 3, either. And having a credit card sized thing attached to my relatively minimal keychain would be obnoxious. As would having to take the card out of my wallet every time i got into the car, or having to carry a separate card (case) in addition to my wallet (if the card can't be read whilst inside the wallet).

Hopefully it fits in a wallet. I think i recall test riders at the release saying it's bigger than a standard credit card.

Bluetooth LE can do that. Do we know that the Model 3 is actually set up to do that, too? Or are we assuming, since it makes sense? I ask because I didn't catch a mention of this feature in the manual.
Robin
Of course we don't know for sure without actual testing, but that's how the Model S bluetooth fob works, so I see no reason why Tesla won't make it work the same way.

If the card is in your wallet, could you just tap your wallet against the car?

I don't use Bluetooth for anything and probably won't in my 3, either. And having a credit card sized thing attached to my relatively minimal keychain would be obnoxious. As would having to take the card out of my wallet every time i got into the car, or having to carry a separate card (case) in addition to my wallet (if the card can't be read whilst inside the wallet).

Hopefully it fits in a wallet. I think i recall test riders at the release saying it's bigger than a standard credit card.
NFC cards can easily be read through a wallet (or even a wallet + pocket, or wallet+purse). I know because that's how I use my NFC cards and I see how people use it too (they don't even take it out of their bag, just hover it to the reader).

NFC cards can easily be read through a wallet (or even a wallet + pocket, or wallet+purse). I know because that's how I use my NFC cards and I see how people use it too (they don't even take it out of their bag, just hover it to the reader).

So it can likely detect the card while still in your pocket? That would be ideal for me.

What if i want to only unlock the drivers door vs all doors, or vice versa? Do we know how that works?

You may look a bit silly walking up to your car, jumping in the air and smacking your butt against the top of the B pillar. And if your wallet is in your front pocket some may think your relationship with your car is.... unhealthy.

Nfc has a range of about an inch.
So we will be able to immediately spot a model 3 owner by the athletic shape of his calves then?

• Funny
Reactions: DR61 and Cyclone
So it can likely detect the card while still in your pocket? That would be ideal for me.

What if i want to only unlock the drivers door vs all doors, or vice versa? Do we know how that works?
As others say, it depends on what pocket it is and where the reader is on the car. The challenge is not reading through the pocket but rather the distance from the card to the reader. On public transit, the reader is a bit below shoulder level, so if you have a card in your front pocket, then putting your chest close to the reader is enough to get it read.

It depends on what height the actual card reader is on the car. Also when inside the car, the reader is in the center console, so front pocket is definitely not going to be close enough.