Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise in full glass roof new Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could you please take a photo or two of the gap between the glass roof and windshield so we can see how they solved the problem? This would be very useful when bringing our cars that have the wind problem back to the service center for repair. Thanks!
Here's the photo!
Picked up our car from the detail shop a little late, I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow during the day.

Attachments

• IMG_9891.JPG
    IMG_9891.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 580
When I recived my 12 days ago it seemed like they had move the windshield up to lessen the gap between the windshield and glassroof. What they haven't thought of was with the winter pack option the cables inside of the windshield for heating now gott exposed going over my dashboard.
There were a lot more not uncovered by what I only can decribe as a "blind" quality controller - so I had to drive the car straight to another Service Center and it was brought from there to a Tesla certified repair shop. It has been there since.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Took delivery of my bespoke 75D this morning. So much excitement! AAAAAND...not a whisper from the roof. Nothing. Completely silent up in that area. The only sounds to be heard are some tire rumble and the faint, distant whine of the forward drive unit. That’s it.

Sounds like Tesla QC paid attention and decided to do something about our whistling windshields.

Took delivery of my bespoke 75D this morning. So much excitement! AAAAAND...not a whisper from the roof. Nothing. Completely silent up in that area. The only sounds to be heard are some tire rumble and the faint, distant whine of the forward drive unit. That’s it.

Sounds like Tesla QC paid attention and decided to do something about our whistling windshields.
That is great to hear. Could you please take some photos where the windshield meets the glass roof? Maybe put one penny flat on the intersection and a second penny upright, sitting in the gap (maybe the gap is filled with a seal and you can't even do that which would be great). I would like to see what they did to fix it so that those of us with noise can show this to our local SC.

That is great to hear. Could you please take some photos where the windshield meets the glass roof? Maybe put one penny flat on the intersection and a second penny upright, sitting in the gap (maybe the gap is filled with a seal and you can't even do that which would be great). I would like to see what they did to fix it so that those of us with noise can show this to our local SC.

I just checked. I don’t think a penny will fit. I’m going to try and take some pictures before surrendering the car to the detailer for three days. FFP and Ceramic Pro and CQuartz, and tinting, and blah,blah, blah, and all that.

Okay, got some pictures. I did note that a penny does indeed fit, and that the panel gaps are noticeably wider on the driver’s side than on the passenger’s. Still, NO wind noise from up in that area. At all.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.jpg
    IMG_0671.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 512
  • Helpful
Reactions: davidc18

These are mostly from the driver’s side.

IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0678.jpg

Very elegant looking solution, sir. I still think it's bull that we have to bust out our Inner-MacGuyver and come up with chicken wire and duct tape fixes like this, on a one hundred thousand dollar car. I shudder and get a little light headed, just thinking about it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, post temporary factory shutdown, this will one problem that will have been solved.
I got mine P100d in March facing the same issues, Service was unhelpful

Reactions: davidc18
I had the windnoise as well, Fremont had mounted the wrong front window. At delivery there were mulitple fault`s I pointet it out to The DS at Drammen Service Center. He just blew me off and asked me to make an appoimtment. I call the Service Center at Rud in Norway with the DS on me side.

They just asked to come straight over. So I had to drive from delivery straight to Rud, were they have taken care of it for the last 3 weeks. The gave me an Model S loaner and said the would take care of it.

They had to change the front screen, Refit the hood and and repaint the damages from it scraping onto the front side pillars, then realligne it, realligne both front side windows, changes side inner trimmings,both front door panels, rear doors crome,door handel, 1 headlight and more.

Now it`s just waiting for the detailer that I use to see if he can buff and detail away all the scratches on a brand new car if not thenTesla needs to repaint hood and rear bumper as well.
I`m awaiting all the inneparts to be changed. But at least for now there is no more windnoise.

It`s now parked in my garage awaiting future work done - before it can be used.

The Service center at Rud has been fantastic, with Daniel and the rest the guys and girls. But Drammen and their pre-delivery team has to take off their blindfolds and gett into the company spirit and values.

Part 2.
The detailer couldnt remove all the scratches, so it`s now in for repainting the hole back gate and micropaint the rear top wheelarch. These are damages that happend not at the service center, but at their service partner Drammen Karroseri!!

The windnoise is still there. I got an loaner with the pan-sunroof and it was dead quiet compared.
I can see that the new the front window covers the midle of the Glassroof, but both sides are higher on the glass roof and would give wind resitance = noise.:(

I got the car april 7, but still havn`t been able to use it.

I saw a brand new X comming from Delivery in Drammen and it also had been at Drammen Karroseri for repairs. it looked lik ...........:mad::mad::mad::mad:..... all scratched up and with sors from falconwingdoors hitting the door frame.

If i`ve asked a 5 year old to hand wash my car a would bett it would have less scratches. Tesla management in Norway reel has to take action with their pre-delivery department and also the repair shop that handles our cars.

I can`t belive the cars left the factory this way and I`ve been told that also car going to Norway are going by Netherland, before they went straight to Norway. With my car there were no history in the system what Netherlands have done - but I expect that there are no silkglow handling.

Tesla Rud gives me fantastic service, but if it hadn`t been for my wife wanting the ventilated seats, I wouldn`t have keept the car - returning it to Tesla. FY this is my 3 tesla in a year, 2 with a lot of defects and paint problems 1 that only had to be repaintet under the front light.

I`m very conserned to buy a Tesla again - if i should do so I would demand it delivered to Tesla Service Center Rud, were we together took off all plastic rappings!

Why was this not caught in prototype stage?

Why is the factory not catching this in production testing?
The answer is obvious. Customers are the prototype testers. Musk cares more about Autopilot than he does about quality. Maybe it's time to embarrass himself again by sleeping on the factory floor to make sure his own employees are doing their jobs.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18 and pers1
I ordered the all glass roof sight unseen. I like it except for the excessive wind noise at highway speeds. I brought it to the service center to diagnose and they said it's 'normal' which I find hard to believe.

My exterior gaps aren't as bad as some have mentioned here so I started looking for other places. On the inside, where the headliner meets the glass, it's pretty flush in front, but, has a large gap on the sides. I can stick a finger in-between the headliner and glass roof in some areas. I stopped by the local showroom to compare this fit to another model s with glass roof. They only had a showroom car and it had some gaps though not anywhere near as bad as mine.

Do others here have a similar gap between the glass roof and headliner or are yours fairly flush?

While I applaud the hackers here for their solutions, I find it pretty pathetic on Tesla that owners are having to resort to this.

• Love
Reactions: davidc18 and pers1
I've had this issue since I took delivery (Silver S 90D) in Dec. Wind noise > 30 mph sometimes whistling with cross-wind. Significant gap between the roof and windshield, also the roof was higher than the windshield. Service center said they could replace the roof, but they hadn't ever done that yet, and I elected not to be the first. I test drove a family members March delivery car (Red S 90D) and it was silent - tire rolling noise was loudest noise in the car. I noticed that car had the roof glass slightly forward of mine - I used the hatch to back of glass as reference assuming the glass and frame sizes are basically constant.

Yesterday was dropping off for another issue and inspected several all-glass roof cars on the lot. All were very tight windshield.This time I asked again about the wind noise, and I just got the car back. They said there is a service bulletin on this and that they made an "adjustment". further inspection and some discussion revealed that they added gasket material in the gap between the normal windshield gasket and the glass roof (down by the paint). The gasket does not protrude above the glass. The noise is improved, but I'm pretty sure it's still not as good as a correctly installed roof/windshield.

IMG_9148.jpg

You can see my roof has a big gap - Paint is clearly visible. Below is how it SHOULD be - and how more recent cars I saw are. The windshield gasket (left) is touching the roof glass. My roof has almost double the gap of the correctly installed roof. I saw some on the lot with even smaller gaps.

IMG_9146.jpg

Now to see alignment, look at my roof glass - slightly right of the hatch seam.

IMG_9147.jpg

Compare that to the red one where glass is slightly forward of hatch seam.

IMG_9145.jpg

Now the fix.... they put in some kind of foam.... I'm a little worried it may be open cell and deteriorate or grow things over time - I like the tube solution off amazon better. The real fix is to move the roof over, but I'm not sure I want to push them to that right now. There's always a chance something goes wrong or the trim doesn't fit back in perfectly.

IMG_9174.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911